Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2016 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,003 ✭✭✭✭walshb

(when legal - Im not suggesting he was illegally doping here).

I should hope so..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

walshb wrote: »
    I should hope so..

Nope - thats why I clearly typed it!

just as well I did, people are so touchy on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

Substances are added to the list at the start of the year. Unless what he was using kept having a massive effect for 6 months after he took it that seems unlikely.

Well Djokovic has started getting injured now for the first time in years...

I have deeply held suspicions about some of the goings on on tour but will leave them aside, the fact of the matter is, Djokovic has been so dominant over the last few years that people have taken it as the rule rather than the exception, that level of performance had to dip at some point and it has. Will it come back? He dipped after 2011 and came back stronger, so he has form but at 29 with so much achieved I'm not so sure

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

So has Federer.

So has Federer.

Federer is 35....

• Advertisement

Federer is 35....

Yes, but he was 29 before he was 35 and was never injured. He was also still at the top of the game at 35.

I'm not really trying to make any specific point here other than someone suddenly becoming injury prone after previously being extremely healthy isn't anything I'd be suspicious of.

Good news for Irish tennis. 17 year old Carr has qualified for the main draw at the Aus Open, juniors, of course.

https://twitter.com/Tennis_Ireland/status/795965963539771392

• Registered Users Posts: 55,003 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I have deeply held suspicions about some of the goings on on tour but will leave them aside, the fact of the matter is, Djokovic has been so dominant over the last few years that people have taken it as the rule rather than the exception, that level of performance had to dip at some point and it has. Will it come back? He dipped after 2011 and came back stronger, so he has form but at 29 with so much achieved I'm not so sure

He is one of several who have been dominant through eras, but let's not make out that he was doing it easily. Many many examples of matches that he could have lost and tournaments that he could have lost. Plenty of matches through his peak years that were almost dead even. He's not Usain Bolt. Not close to it as regards performance-dominance. So, in saying this you could be watching several others.

You have always been a little over suspicious in my view.

walshb wrote: »
    He is one of several who have been dominant through eras, but let's not make out that he was doing it easily. Many many examples of matches that he could have lost and tournaments that he could have lost. Plenty of matches through his peak years that were almost dead even. He's not Usain Bolt. Not close to it as regards performance-dominance. So, in saying this you could be watching several others.

You have always been a little over suspicious in my view.

Like I said, not getting into a convo about doping, been done to death.

My comments about djokovic's dominance were meant to be taken at face value/totally removed from my general feelings re: doping.

I think I read a while back that he was the most dominant number 1 in tennis history in his latest reign, in terms of win % etc, even if it's not true it's certainly unarguable that he's has been very consistent. My point was simply that people had got used to this and maybe had lost sight of how dominant he was, how unusual that actually is and how he would inevitably have to regress at some point.

Courts in London apparently similar speed to Paris which means a lot quicker than they have been, which may favour bigger servers like we saw in Paris last week... and maybe Murray, who typically plays better on faster hard courts.

Weirdly both Paris and London have been slower in previous years and seem to have been speeded up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Courts in London apparently similar speed to Paris which means a lot quicker than they have been, which may favour bigger servers like we saw in Paris last week... and maybe Murray, who typically plays better on faster hard courts.

Weirdly both Paris and London have been slower in previous years and seem to have been speeded up

Great! Could be good news for Cilic though, which would be bad news for us :o

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Federer has won the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award for the 12th year in a row. That's Federer who's barely played this year :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Federer has won the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award for the 12th year in a row. That's Federer who's barely played this year :rolleyes:

displays uncommon sportsmanship by giving others a better shot as winning stuff by not playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭Floppybits

What a set of tennis between Theim and djokovic. Great start to this tournament. Theim takes the first set in a mammoth tie break. Djokovic fires a ball at his coaching team when he lost the set.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Normal service has resumed now. Excitment over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Incredible atmosphere in Strasbourg for the Fed Cup final. 2-2 now after Strycova beat Cornet to level it. Barbora was supposed to be playing doubles with Hradecka against Parmentier/Cornet. Now it's Strycova/Pliskova vs Mladenovic/Garcia.

Could be a good match to end what's been a great tie!

good first match, although Thiem has a bit to learn he can rifle beautiful winners when he picks the right time....

Djokovic did enough and looks to be in decent enough form, should top his group if he maintains that level

Nishikori beats wawrinka comfortably... Hard to know which version of wawrinka will show up on any given day.

...and murray beats cilic by simply keeping the ball live long enough for cilic to balloon a shot...

routine 2nd day :(

lostcat wrote: »
    ...and murray beats cilic by simply keeping the ball live long enough for cilic to balloon a shot...

routine 2nd day :(

Hit some nice winners in the second tbf, was fairly tentative in the first though

• Advertisement

Decent quality in raonic Djokovic match thus far, raonic had a few break points and failed to take any, into 1st tie break now

Djokovic takes it after some cardinal sins from raonic, failed to use hawkeye when djok hit one wide, thrashed a dolly mixture of a 77mph second serve into the rafters then double faulted on set point....

Djokovic got out of jail a bit, Raonic played quite well apart from maybe 3 or 4 points in each set, but that was enough.

Djokovic shouldn't really be losing 2 service games in a set against Raonic, he's hardly a fearsome returner. The poor serve is why Murray will beat him if they end up playing each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭josip

Murray has lost the 1st set to Nishikori
    (edit)
    but wins 2-1 in the end after 3 h 20m

Hearing via twitter that monfils has pulled out and Djokovic will play goffin in 3rd rubber

So what does that mean for Goffin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭CassieManson

So what does that mean for Goffin ?

He gets to play against Djokovic and if he wins he can pick up some ranking points.

He gets to play against Djokovic and if he wins he can pick up some ranking points.

ok, but no chance of qualifying ?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭CassieManson

ok, but no chance of qualifying ?

No chance of qualifying at this point.

• Advertisement

..allthough on the other group its all open , any one of the other 3 can qualify ... so you could have a 1-2 player going through, I remember that happened a few years back ..

Advertisement