Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2016 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Well this completely passed me by, but James McGee won his 1st challenger tour event in Cary North Carolina!!

Fantastic stuff!!

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/challenger-chronicles-2016-james-mcgee

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Well this completely passed me by, but James McGee won his 1st challenger tour event in Cary North Carolina!!

Fantastic stuff!!

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/news/challenger-chronicles-2016-james-mcgee

It was posted just a couple of pages back, pay more attention :pac:

Yeah it's great, particularly when he wasn't even supposed to be there.

Zverev has won his first title beating Wawrinka in the St. Peterburg final, battling from a break down in the final set to take it.
    Still a teenager. Has to be the most promising up-and-comer.
    Can't think of when a male teenager last won an atp title.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

glasso wrote: »
    Zverev has won his first title beating Wawrinka in the St. Peterburg final, battling from a break down in the final set to take it.

Never mind that....we had Peak Petra in Wuhan!:pac: A rare sight in tennis.

She was so impressive. I think all her matches, except the Kerber one, were straight sets and under 90 minutes. I would love to see her bring that form every time, or at least half the time. She should have more Slams imo.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

RosyLily wrote: »
    Never mind that....we had Peak Petra in Wuhan!:pac: A rare sight in tennis.

She was so impressive. I think all her matches, except the Kerber one, were straight sets and under 90 minutes. I would love to see her bring that form every time, or at least half the time. She should have more Slams imo.

She should have a few year end titles too given they're always played indoors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

It also puts her back in the race to make Singapore as well, where she's defending 730 points. A strong showing in Beijing, where she's had good results before, could sneak her in. Really hope she doesn't make it, she's been useless most of the year.

glasso wrote: »

Welcome to one week ago :pac:

Johanna Konta beat Madison Keys in three sets to reach the China Open final. She'll make her Top 10 debut on Monday! Only the fourth British woman to reach the top 10 and the first since 1984. What a fantastic two years it's been for Jo!! Still has a good chance of making the cut for Singapore as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Murray Dmitrov final in Beijing, Murray can still be #1 this year ... all to play for..

Murray Dmitrov final in Beijing, Murray can still be #1 this year ... all to play for..

At the beginning of the season I didn't think Serena or Novak would be knocked off their perch. Been an interesting year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Halloween Jack

At the beginning of the season I didn't think Serena or Novak would be knocked off their perch. Been an interesting year!

Don't think you'll see it on the men's side, Murray is fairly hopeless indoors which I think is the surface for the last masters events and Djokovic has traditionally been very, very strong on this swing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Don't think you'll see it on the men's side, Murray is fairly hopeless indoors which I think is the surface for the last masters events and Djokovic has traditionally been very, very strong on this swing.

mm... except that djokovic recently held a press conference in which he basically stated that he is going to 'chill' and not worry about the no 1 ranking or, you know...winning tennis matches and all that for a while...I assume he still intends to actually play a few.
    I think he is basically taking the rest of the year off mentally, murray might just run down the no 1 spot if he goes flat out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Just watched a bit of the Linz tournament yesterday and my god the choice of colour surrounding the court is atrocious. Its a horrible grey and makes it impossible to see the ball once it has gone outside of the lines. Wont be watching any more of it anyway

Nadal out first round....Unsurprising these days...

Oh, and the absolute state of kyrgios yet again... I like the guy but he does himself no favours...

Oh, and the absolute state of kyrgios yet again... I like the guy but he does himself no favours...

Yeah, it's disappointing. I like him, but he makes it hard sometimes. And every time he claws back some sympathy he does something like this again. This match was bad though, hitting first serves at 67mph and second serve faults at 130 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,813 ✭✭✭✭josip

“I don’t owe them anything. It’s my choice. If you don’t like it, I didn’t ask you to come watch. Just leave. If you’re so good at giving advice and so good at tennis, why aren’t you as good as me? Why aren’t you on the tour? You want to buy a ticket? Come watch me. You know I’m unpredictable. It’s your choice. I don’t owe you anything. Doesn’t affect how I sleep at night.”

:eek:

josip wrote: »
    :eek:

It's such a stupid attitude though. Nobody is buying tickets specifically to see Nick Kyrgios, it doesn't work that way. They're buying tickets to see a day's tennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Can't all they did was fine kyrgios, I thought he was on a final warning on his behaviour and if there were anymore incidents then he would be suspended.

To me he is a guy that has no love for the game and is only in it for the money. Would he not make as much money playing basketball as he would at tennis or just do something that he loves to do.

I know folks are saying that it's good to have characters but do you really need a character like him. If you take Mcenroe for example yeah he shouted and argues on the court but that was because of a will to win and a love for the game. I don't think Mcenroe ever did what kyrgios did? Has any other ever done what kyrgios did the other day?

Yeah kyrgios can be a bad boy if he wants but don't spoil the game for everyone involved including player, officials and spectators by not bothering to compete because you can't be arsed.

Djokovic definitely off colour here...

But manages to save 3 match points...

• Advertisement

Weird performance from Djokovic, made some absolutely amazing shots but missed a bagful that he'd make 99 times in 100.

Opens up the race for year end no. 1 anyway, if Murray were to win here the gap would be 900 points or so...

Djokovic's comments in press about Carlos Bernardes weren't too kind. He said the umpire was trying to be the star (or something along those lines). If Murray wins the tournament he'll be about 1000 points behind Djokovic, maybe less.

Djokovic's comments in press about Carlos Bernardes weren't too kind. He said the umpire was trying to be the star (or something along those lines). If Murray wins the tournament he'll be about 1000 points behind Djokovic, maybe less.

He got cheesed off with the umpire for no reason, he had challenged a few line calls which he won, but the margins were tiny and the umpire couldn't overrule them with the naked eye really. A little later the umpire refused to allow a challenge (correctly) as Djokovic waited to see if his return landed in before challenging, he was well off the boil overall and is deflecting a little by mentioning the umpire

Murray wins, comfortably enough but got a bit nervy at times. 915 points the gap right now, Murray plays Vienna next week and Djokovic doesn't play at all, meaning the gap could be as little as 415 by the time Paris kicks off, interesting....

I know Djokovic hasn't had the best year by his standards but it would still be some achievement from Murray to get the #1 spot off him.

I know Djokovic hasn't had the best year by his standards but it would still be some achievement from Murray to get the #1 spot off him.

Australian open, French open, us open final, Indian wells, Miami, Djokovic amassed a huge amount of points in the early part of the year, in fact he won pretty much everything of note until after the French, so he's slackens off a little but still a very strong year. If they gave Olympics points like they did in other years the gap would 165 points, which shows I guess how consistent Murray has been, with only really two bad defeats all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭Floppybits

What is going on with djokovic? Is it an injury and if it is surely he should just not play till its better.

Murrays points from last year's Davis Cup should run out soon. I see on Twitter that he has to win Vienna and Paris to reach #1 and Djokovic can't reach Paris final. An incredible year from both players.

Madison Keys has qualified for Singapore as well. Her first WTA Finals appearance. Dominika Cibulkova is also in. Konta is the first alternative...I think!

Floppybits wrote: »
    What is going on with djokovic? Is it an injury and if it is surely he should just not play till its better.

I'm convinced it's all an act to set up his reality TV show for next year. Add a bit of drama to it. ;)

• Advertisement

Floppybits wrote: »

Wasn't he caught in flagrante with a lady other than his wife? That's what I heard and I thought had been reported a few places...

Advertisement