Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PACQUIAO VS BRADLEY 3

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭RayK0309

Andre Berto?30million guarantee?!Crazy..I remember watching the DLH fight at a party but it was the Hatton promo that made me wanna actually try and follow boxing. At least the big show downs. It was Pac v DLH that cemented my interest. The difference for me was I always thought a boxing match should be exciting...I appreciate Money's skills but it's the just do enough attitude he has....Andre Berto? Even I wasn't foolish enough to buy into that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Look, at the end of the day who here ten years down the line will be watching Floyd v Manny on YouTube? The other day I threw on Toney v Jirov for the craic and it's a joy to watch, I won't be doing that for many of Floyd's latest fights. I respect Floyd as one of the best boxers ever, but there's a difference between winning all the time and being truly "great" a la Roberto Duran who hopped off everyone without fear and thrilled the fans over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

Agree, I enjoyed his fights at one time. The overriding memory I will have of him as a boxer will be the Mayweather of the last number of years though and I enjoyed very little of him and would have no desire to ever see him box again.

Reason why there's a thing called legacy. I think floyd would of been the same boxer he was when he destroyed corralles gatti Hatton and the many more at lower weights he did what true pros do in any sport adjust. The reason he had to adjust was his hands first then his age. But to say u didn't enjoy Mayweather over a 20 yr spell is bitter

• Registered Users Posts: 14,033 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Reason why there's a thing called legacy. I think floyd would of been the same boxer he was when he destroyed corralles gatti Hatton and the many more at lower weights he did what true pros do in any sport adjust. The reason he had to adjust was his hands first then his age. But to say u didn't enjoy Mayweather over a 20 yr spell is bitter

You said brilliant to watch the last 20 years, I asked you what you liked about watching Floyd and what you come up with is calling people bitter of they didn't enjoy Mayweather over a 20 year spell.....which isn't actually the same thing as being brilliant to watch for the last 20 years either.

You give your reasons for why Mayweather was not very interesting to watch imo in his later years, a good many of them, by speaking about how he adjusted, with excuses like his hands, then his age etc... these would not back up your claim he has been brilliant to watch for 20 years though.

I didn't comment on his legacy, in fact I didn't comment on anything other then to ask you to elaborate on what you enjoyed about watching Mayweather fight?

To say a guy like Mayweather was brilliant to watch over the last few years would be a bit of a puzzler to me.

You don't have to answer the question of course, particularly as you may not have an answer other then he used to be brilliant to watch a long time ago but not so much in the last decade, but if you did genuinely find his fights exciting over the second half of his career I would love to know why, thats all.

If you can only resort to insults or to speak about his legacy etc which is nothing to do with the question I suppose there is no point.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

As much as i hate the man last night showed how good Mayweather really is, Pacquiao isn't shot not even close, past his best yes but he dominated Bradley last night and Timmy is top 10 p4p imo. Selfishly i want Pacquiao to fight on, he's nothing to prove but i'd love to see him fight Crawford or Canelo the man's still easily top 5 p4p despite being past his prime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Henno30

Pacquiao is one of the best pocket fighters in history. The only way opponents can have success against him is when they totally commit to staying on the outside. And even then, that only works at welterweight because of how small he is for that division. I don't think people fully appreciate that part either.

This is a chart I saw on the sizes of the current top welterweights. Look where Pac is.

LismCBN.png

• Registered Users Posts: 54,646 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Henno30 wrote: »
    Pacquiao is one of the best pocket fighters in history. The only way opponents can have success against him is when they totally commit to staying on the outside. And even then, that only works at welterweight because of small he is for that division. I don't think people fully appreciate that part either.

This is a chart I saw one the sizes of the current top welterweight. Look where Pac is.

LismCBN.png

Pocket fighter? What is that to you? I assume you mean mid range fighter? Because Manny never had an inside game.

walshb wrote: »
    Pocket fighter? What is that to you? I assume you mean mid range fighter? Because Manny never had an inside game.

Yes. Fighters in range but not in contact.

pac_man wrote: »
    I'm confused with your term because it doesn't correlate with Pacquiao's style. A fighter that's in the pocket is constantly in range. That's not Manny Pacquiao.
    You only have to look at what he does once he finishes throwing combinations, he gets on his bike and gets out of range.

What I mean is that in exchanges in the pocket, he is better than anyone and wins almost every trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,646 ✭✭✭✭walshb

pac_man wrote: »
    I'm confused with your term because it doesn't correlate with Pacquiao's style. A fighter that's in the pocket is constantly in range. That's not Manny Pacquiao.
    You only have to look at what he does once he finishes throwing combinations, he gets on his bike and gets out of range.

Yes, but when he's in range (in the pocket) he is deadly. That is Henno's point I assumed! And it's all down to his feet and range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

You said brilliant to watch the last 20 years, I asked you what you liked about watching Floyd and what you come up with is calling people bitter of they didn't enjoy Mayweather over a 20 year spell.....which isn't actually the same thing as being brilliant to watch for the last 20 years either.

You give your reasons for why Mayweather was not very interesting to watch imo in his later years, a good many of them, by speaking about how he adjusted, with excuses like his hands, then his age etc... these would not back up your claim he has been brilliant to watch for 20 years though.

I didn't comment on his legacy, in fact I didn't comment on anything other then to ask you to elaborate on what you enjoyed about watching Mayweather fight?

To say a guy like Mayweather was brilliant to watch over the last few years would be a bit of a puzzler to me.

You don't have to answer the question of course, particularly as you may not have an answer other then he used to be brilliant to watch a long time ago but not so much in the last decade, but if you did genuinely find his fights exciting over the second half of his career I would love to know why, thats all.

If you can only resort to insults or to speak about his legacy etc which is nothing to do with the question I suppose there is no point.

The last 10 fights of Mayweathers career I enjoyed his defensive skills and how no one could put a glove on him. His ring smartness how he made his fights so one sided and make elite boxers look very ordinary. He never lost his hand speed he's counter punching was still the best in the sport. That a good enough answer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,033 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Certainly, all I asked for was your reasons. You have given them now so I thank you. I'm not here to argue with you believe it or not

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Long time since I'd been to Vegas and first time for a fight. Ludicrous place in every way but very enjoyable!

Very Irish weather that weekend with absolute monsoon rain early saturday and regular showers and sun sunday!

Stayed in Hooters across the street from MGM for the craic;):D and waited out the rain before heading over. Cheapest face value tickets were $190 but allegedly this fight was a 15,000 sell out. Hung around the slot machines near the walkway to the Garden Arena where there were numerous touts. Had a figure of $150 in mind and got one for that where its face value was $254. Great buzz around the place with all the gangsters, pimps and ho's strolling to the big fight!

My seat was in the very back row and I got in just as the national anthem was being screamed out. Never even saw the seat as there were enough seats around to choose from so went down about 15 rows. But the arena is smaller than MSG so every seat had a great view really.

Delighted to be there to see a genuine icon fighting in the flesh in this crazy town.

The fight started at 23.37 local time so fair play to anyone at home watching with the 8 hour difference. No sign of Michael Buffer though.

Pacquiao started off the aggressor and while he was the bookies favourite the first few rounds were quiet with him each boxer throwing a lot with Pacquiao shading it and then in the fourth a great left gets the crowd going. The next round was arguably the best as he poured it on with his famous combinations. The seventh saw Bradley touch canvas although it could have been a slip but he didnt dispute it. I had Pacquiao way ahead at this stage.

The chancer that is Atlas went nuts at the end of this round and got the reaction he wanted the next round as Bradley made contact with a great right. However the fight was over the next round as Pacquiao countered with a great left that dumped Bradley.

The next three rounds are not surprising with the most entertaining part Atlas getting physically thrown out of the ring at the end of every round by security as he is going absolutely nuts at Bradley.

Hung around at the end and walked down almost to ringside. Whatever you might think of Kellerman he did dozens of selfies with fans and chatted away. I was more interested in one with Roy Jones!

Met my Filipino work colleague after and he had a great view as Pacquiao had given out $800 tickets to his gang.

I cant see him retiring to be honest. It's not just the money its the sheer adulation that was on view that he will miss. It got so nuts after the fight that Filipino tv nearly dropped a lighting rig on him such was there clamour to interview him! Most important part is his skill, speed and experience that dont seem to have paled too much this late in his career.

Disappointed with Bradley's attitude. Never thought he truly believed he could win and his performance afterwards was bizarre. Laughing and joking after losing a fight and then grovelling with Pacquiao about meeting for breakfast. Coupled with having a chancer screaming at him for half the fight I dont know.........

Watched the fight back and Atlas screaming at the end of 3 "Steal the car@:eek:

ei8qj4.jpg

k3xpt.jpg

fjq3p4.jpg

zjyvs1.jpg

Advertisement