Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster vs Munster, Sat 2nd Jan 3pm, Sky Sports

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

not a bit of it. as knock-ons go that was a definite knock-on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

That Saili drop under the posts from Jackson's miss was a knock on right? That was a big let off for Munster IMO, although I haven't seen it back.

either way given the ulster try should never have been ........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

flouncer wrote: »
    hard for any backline to be creative if they dont get quality distribution. example connacht yesterday. so dont blame the backline. they can only work with what they are given and what they are currently given is rubbish.

Doesn't matter what possession they are getting, there is no cutting edge or creativity. They crab across the pitch reminiscent of the Penney era. It's hard to see them cutting teams to pieces with some serious backline play.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

One positive today for Ulster was Rory Scholes, I thought he had a good game. I think he has the potential to be a very good player. He is deceptively elusive. He doesn't quite have the same game breaking ability as Gilroy but as far as the all round package is concerned I don't see him stepping in for Gilroy as a step down in anything bar experience.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

bilston wrote: »
    One positive today for Ulster was Rory Scholes, I thought he had a good game. I think he has the potential to be a very good player. He is deceptively elusive. He doesn't quite have the same game breaking ability as Gilroy but as far as the all round package is concerned I don't see him stepping in for Gilroy as a step down in anything bar experience.

Today was the first time I really noticed him tbh, thought he played a good part in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

bilston wrote: »

I think he has the perfect blend of Gilroy's elusivity and also he refrains from scoring excellent tries enough to make him a real option at international level.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I think he has the perfect blend of Gilroy's elusivity and also he refrains from scoring excellent tries enough to make him a real option at international level.

Aye, he'll never run away from support! I don't know whether he hits enough rucks though!

On a serious note he goes hunting for the ball off his wing and links up well with the midfield, he strikes me as the type of winger Joe would probably quite like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭leakyboots

not a bit of it. as knock-ons go that was a definite knock-on

Thought it went backwards myself.

Surprised at people saying his place is under threat, he was one of our best players against Leinster (one of the few who can hold his head up high), he wins a couple of turnovers a game too, happy with him in our midfield.

Good old-fashioned win, delighted for Keatley. Getting optimistic for my trip to Paris this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Chatting to rob herring there. Top bloke...

Slightly taller Tha him so I'm delighted...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

leakyboots wrote: »
    Surprised at people saying his place is under threat, he was one of our best players against Leinster (one of the few who can hold his head up high), he wins a couple of turnovers a game too, happy with him in our midfield.

He's worth his spot but he's not justifying the reputation he arrived with. Against Leinster he was decent but that pass for the try was a stinker, nowhere near the intended target which you don't expect from someone with his pedigree.

He takes too much out of the ball, currently. The break after the charge down fell to ROM was selfish from him. I don't know if it's a case of him not rating his fellow backs or what but he needs to start trusting those around him and the coaching staff need to start using Saili more effectively too.

He's still not anything in the same bracket as Amorosino, though, who just annoys me. A 50 cap international who was starting for Argentina in the RWC and looks like he'd rather be anywhere else in the world when he's called on to involve himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    Chatting to rob herring there. Top bloke...

Slightly taller Tha him so I'm delighted...lol

well if you were on your 8th pint earlier as quoted and two hours have passed since then you must be hitting the 10 margin. At that point you get taller than even Devin Toner. Let me assure you its just an illusion. It will pass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

well if you were on your 8th pint earlier as quoted and two hours have passed since then you must be hitting the 10 margin. At that point you get taller than even Devin Toner. Let me assure you its just an illusion. It will pass

6"3" big lawd...lol

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭phog

Lots of errors from both teams and the officials, the offside just before their try being the worst as it gave them the opportunity to recycle and score.

A similar knockon by Ulster and collected by an offside Ulster player happened earlier and went unpunished and Saili knocking on under the the post.

Overall, I thought it would have been a travesty if we lost there today but we should have tried for a 2nd DG to put more than a penalty between us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Saili and who, it it FNW?

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    Saili and who, it it FNW?

The one and only!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Rory Scannell is looking like a good player. Sherry, despite uncharacteristically poor darts, looks to be finding form. JOD had a fantastic game.

However, the most important thing for Munster was having a 7 and 10 on the pitch. Had TOD been fit and had Keatley shown this form a month ago, Munster could be on the back of a much longer winning streak.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Rory Scannell is looking like a good player. Sherry, despite uncharacteristically poor darts, looks to be finding form. JOD had a fantastic game.

However, the most important thing for Munster was having a 7 and 10 on the pitch. Had TOD been fit and had Keatley shown this form a month ago, Munster could be on the back of a much longer winning streak.
    These games are turned on the missed opportunities. If Keatley had scored his kicks in those games it probably would have been the difference between winning and losing, but not just that, the lack of confidence in our kicking meant not taking the option of kicking at all on many occasions and this in turn gave the opposition more leeway to play loose with the rules knowing they're not likely to be punished

The full game is currently on YouTube

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Van der Heever wasn't exact;y busting his balls to get up on Scannell's break at 29.05 on the youtube clock!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Van der Heever wasn't exact;y busting his balls to get up on Scannell's break at 29.05 on the youtube clock!!

His running is actually very deceptive. He seems to match people's speed without putting any effort in and then has after burners for more acceleration. The pass or kick through was on.

Munster could be on the back of a much longer winning streak.

I was speaking to my Auntie the other day and she said something mad. She said that if she had been born male, she would be my uncle!

Couldn't get over it. #headmelted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Ah now, everyone was sprinting and he had approx 15 meters to make up, that's a big ask for anyone, no one here can question his pace, which is off the charts.
    Except for the offside, I thought he had a very good game. As far as attacking is concerned that guy can change direction like a fly. It was great to see the shape of the 2 wingers and full back in defense whenever Ulster had the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

I was speaking to my Auntie the other day and she said something mad. She said that if she had been born male, she would be my uncle!

Couldn't get over it. #headmelted

You're related to that Bruce Jenner lad? The tales you could tell us!

The only person who has won "woman of the year" when they haven't even been a woman for a year!!

Buckle up, Buckeroos!

Advertisement