Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 - 1000 mile challenge

Options
  • 31-12-2015 12:32pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭

New thread, new year. Welcome to the 2016 version and what I think might be the 6th incarnation of the spreadsheet, and possibly year 8 of the 1000 mile challenge.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1P2ZIllebMPwlqLZv2bxxdbQ_Ehps4kyT8g6Qt58u9a8/edit#gid=0

Same as last year we are using Google Docs again, just click on the link above and enter your boardsie name in column A and then how far your total miles are for the year in column C, or if you count in kilometres enter that in column D. If you want you can also enter you age/ gender category in column B. Your ranking amongst the boardsies is shown on the Positions sheet.

Do not edit any other columns, except for the completion date when you have done your 1000miles. People who had access to the locked sheet last year should already be setup with access to the same sheet again, anyone that wants access to that then you'll need to PM me your Google email address so that I can enable access.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

Woooohoooo my six my run has put in first place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

kookiebrew wrote: »

oooh, you have a target on your back now kookie.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

As usual round this time it now happens that I'm now not in front of a PC for a day or so. Those of you who have messaged me about access to the spreadsheet jus bear with me for a day or so and I'll get you added to the list.

You can put your details onto the open sheet of the spreadsheet for now though and I'll sort things out afterwards.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Woooohooo, my parkrun followed by a 10km race has put me in first place. :)

Sorry kookiebrew, but couldn't let you get too comfortable at the top of the table. I'm sure someone crazier than me will have a 20+ mile day logged shortly.

I've just spotted that I need to tweak the estimated completion date calculations. I'll get to that in a couple of days also.

• Advertisement

It was good while it lasted, literally 15 mins of fame

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Yeah, sciencerunning, bitch!

I'm coming for you too, Clown*

* Probably not

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

The formulas in the last 4 columns in the positions sheet all need sorting.
    They all say 2015 where it should say 2016. I'd fix it myself but it won't let me

The formulas in the last 4 columns in the positions sheet all need sorting.
    They all say 2015 where it should say 2016. I'd fix it myself but it won't let me

That should all be fixed now.

Let me know if there are any other errors in the calculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gilly29

do i just stick in my name, miles to date and i'll on the list then?

• Advertisement

gilly29 wrote: »
    do i just stick in my name, miles to date and i'll on the list then?

Yep, simple as that.

Then on the "Positions" tab you'll be able to see where you stack up against the rest of boardsies and a prediction for when you'll complete the 1000 miles or your total for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gilly29

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

I went looking through the old threads just to see how I got on over the years...

2010 - 165 miles
    2011 - 210 miles
    2012 - 338 miles
    2013 - 490 miles
    2014 - 226 miles (lots of injuries :()
    2015 - 747 miles

I know its been slow progress but if I can continue how I got on last year and stay injury free, I'll should beat the 1000 this year (hopefully :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

Hi lads, I'm not a boards regular but I just added myself to the open sheet, hope that's ok.
    I don't know what my category is, is it just gender and age? I'll just put that in for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

stringbox wrote: »
    Hi lads, I'm not a boards regular but I just added myself to the open sheet, hope that's ok.
    I don't know what my category is, is it just gender and age? I'll just put that in for now.

Yup, Gender and Age............or Jedi/sith lord/wookie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Yup, Gender and Age............or Jedi/sith lord/wookie

Well, actually, ...

the original intention was to put in your age group, which works in 5-year steps once you are over the ripe old age of 35, i.e. M35, F40, M45 and so on.

But you can put in anything you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I'm in too, now! How often do people update the sheet, usually?

HelenAnne wrote:

Can update as often as you like.

Varies for me. Whenever I think of it. Weekly - monthly.

HelenAnne wrote: »

30 secs after I'm back in the house from my run ;)

30 secs after I'm back in the house from my run ;)

is that your way of keeping near the top of the table :pac:

• Advertisement

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    is that your way of keeping near the top of the table :pac:

Could put in next weeks runs and would be nowhere near some of the top runners here lol

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

I've an android phone. Can I add myself from it or do I need to use a pc/laptop. Any help would be appreciated

I've an android phone. Can I add myself from it or do I need to use a pc/laptop. Any help would be appreciated

Yes, you should be able to edit OK via the phone. Just have to watch a bit more carefully that you are editing the right cells. You'll soon figure it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

Wooo! Just hit 26.2 miles (cumulatively)!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Calculation in column 'M' Year total estimate should be *366, not *365

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Calculation in column 'M' Year total estimate should be *366, not *365

Fixed, but you are now incharge of remembering to tell me to change it back to 365 next year. And also figuring out if years ending in a zero are actually leap years as I think sometimes they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭28064212

robinph wrote: »
    Fixed, but you are now incharge of remembering to tell me to change it back to 365 next year. And also figuring out if years ending in a zero are actually leap years as I think sometimes they are not.
    It's a leap year when divisible by 4, except when it's also divisible by 100, except when that's divisible by 400. Easy :)

Or you could just replace 366 with this that will return the number of days in the current year:
    DATEDIF(DATE(YEAR(NOW()),1,1), DATE(YEAR(NOW()),12,31), "D") + 1

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

<Head_Explodes>

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

This may sound stupid (well it does in my head) however. I have logged 86+ kilometres so far, when I go to log my next lot do I erase the 86+ and put in my new weeks total or do I add it to the 86+. I suppose what I'm trying to say is does it add the totals up or do I have to do it 💆

• Advertisement

You need to add the totals yourself and then put the new number in the spreadsheet.

If you are logging your miles via something like Strava then that will show you a running total of your miles covered for the year anyway.

Advertisement