Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30% Off Xiaomi Routers on 24th of December [Aliexpress.com]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Did you order on Christmas eve?

i did, got the three for $165.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

i did, got the three for $165.

Thanks. I ordered on the same date and it left China on the 5th but no sign since. When did yours leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Much good deal! Happy speed WiFi original poster. Please to be thank!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Q&A

Mine arrived today having ordered Christmas eve. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet as I got it delivered to work. Only issue so far the adapter plug is broken but might have something similar at home.

I wouldn't worry about the delay... It'll give you more time to brush up on your mandarin :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Two minis arrived today, still waiting on a youth.

I wouldn't pay attention to the tracking.

I only gave a quick look inside the bag, but do they really come without boxes?

I mean they look well bubble wrapped, but still, why no box, just seems odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Two Minis and two Youths arrived today. All in Xiaomi boxes and untouched.

Repeaters not arrived yet.

Anyone else boxless?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

Yeh me boxless too. Expected tbh. Not tried it yet. Mini €23 Ordered 24/12 received 13/01 no customs. Happy out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

moleyv wrote: »
    Two minis arrived today, still waiting on a youth.

I wouldn't pay attention to the tracking.

I only gave a quick look inside the bag, but do they really come without boxes?

I mean they look well bubble wrapped, but still, why no box, just seems odd.

It's China!.... The youth comes with a box though!

? My post disappeared..

Maybe what arrived was 2 x Youth and 2 x Repeater.
    I haven't opened any boxes yet. - These x 2 are what arrived. So maybe the Minis will arrive tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Connected a mini into the modem.

Set up was straightforward and it connected itself to the modem.

Connected it to my switch, and all working great.

No chance to properly test it yet, but will see how it goes as main router.

I'll set up the other as an extender tomorrow. When I get the youth I might set it up as a VPN router with a different SSID, so I can switch to it when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Furzy

Received my mini today and connected to UPC modem. Setup was easy and in English. Very disappointing speeds though - using the 5G band I'm consistently getting half the speeds of my UPC (Cisco 3925) modem - in the same room as the Xiaomi modem. This applies to my laptop, phone and iPad. The 2.5g range is extended slightly but not by much. My UPC is 120mb/s so Wifi giving 70-80 on laptop and iPad and 40-50 on phone but these speeds halved rather than increased using the 5G band, slightly lower for the Xiaomi 2.5g. Seems a bit variable - I'm using Okla speed test and got one 90Mbs on my phone, followed by others at 22-25Mbs. I know Okla may not be a true measure but feel that it's a useful comparison. Thinking that this my not be a genuine Xiaomi router!

Allyall wrote: »
    Two Minis and two Youths arrived today. All in Xiaomi boxes and untouched.

Repeaters not arrived yet.

Interesting - mine arrived in one thin layer of bubble wrap, plastic envelope, no box, one tiny leaflet and no other documentation. Surprised it wasn't badly damaged - not at all what I would expect for a Xiaomi product.

Furzy wrote:
    Received my mini today and connected to UPC modem. Setup was easy and in English. Very disappointing speeds though - using the 5G band I'm consistently getting half the speeds of my UPC (Cisco 3925) modem - in the same room as the Xiaomi modem. This applies to my laptop, phone and iPad. The 2.5g range is extended slightly but not by much. My UPC is 120mb/s so Wifi giving 70-80 on laptop and iPad and 40-50 on phone but these speeds halved rather than increased using the 5G band, slightly lower for the Xiaomi 2.5g. Seems a bit variable - I'm using Okla speed test and got one 90Mbs on my phone, followed by others at 22-25Mbs. I know Okla may not be a true measure but feel that it's a useful comparison. Thinking that this my not be a genuine Xiaomi router!

The WAN and LAN ports are not gigabit, they are 10/100. So if you are connecting it into the back of your existing router by Ethernet cable. It is limited to 10/100.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

moleyv wrote: »
    The WAN and LAN ports are not gigabit, they are 10/100. So if you are connecting it into the back of your existing router by Ethernet cable. It is limited to 10/100.

So what would be the best way to connect it to a UPC Horizon box?

I don't know if it will work, but try using it as a repeater, connecting wirelessly?

I don't know enough about how the internals workings to know if that will get around the bottleneck.

Are you only using the horizon box as a modem?

So what would be the best way to connect it to a UPC Horizon box?

See link in post #17 of this thread.

Has anyone figured out how to turn off wireless on the UPC modem?

Just a heads-up to anyone who has a Mac - mine wasn't picking up the 5G band. Thought it was one of the notorious Mac WiFi problems but after hours of head scratching I realised that the router was broadcasting 5G on a channel that wasn't recognised by the Mac. Went into the Xiaomi miwifi.com site and changed the broadcast channel and now picking up the 5G at decent speeds (90Mbps) on the iMac.

Furzy wrote:
    Just a heads-up to anyone who has a Mac - mine wasn't picking up the 5G band. Thought it was one of the notorious Mac WiFi problems but after hours of head scratching I realised that the router was broadcasting 5G on a channel that wasn't recognised by the Mac. Went into the Xiaomi miwifi.com site and changed the broadcast channel and now picking up the 5G at decent speeds (90Mbps) on the iMac.

Thanks, I was picking up 5G on my laptops, but not phone or tablet, which do have AC as I double checked, so I'll try changing channels later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Set up my youth in another room at home today with home plugs feeding it, works great! Wifi in both sides of the house now :P

• Advertisement

Furzy wrote: »

.... just sorted it. Was logging in to the Cisco browser interface (192.168.1.1) but my pc browser wasn't letting me disable. Just logged in now on the iPad, ticked disable and it's off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Alligator Wine

I've tried turning off the Wifi on the Horizon box but keep getting the same error message. "Can not disable radio while you use WIFI roaming opt-in." Tried doing this connected by LAN and WiFi, no joy. Found a section within myvirginmedia where you can opt out of Horizon WiFree but it says it may take up to 72 hours for your request to go through. Spent the last 45 mins talking with Virgin Media Tech Support and they weren't much help to be honest. Will see if opting out will allow me to turn it off over the next few days.

I've tried turning off the Wifi on the Horizon box but keep getting the same error message. "Can not disable radio while you use WIFI roaming opt-in." Tried doing this connected by LAN and WiFi, no joy. Found a section within myvirginmedia where you can opt out of Horizon WiFree but it says it may take up to 72 hours for your request to go through. Spent the last 45 mins talking with Virgin Media Tech Support and they weren't much help to be honest. Will see if opting out will allow me to turn it off over the next few days.

Don't think that will work - there's a Boards thread on it here:
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057242210
    .... so maybe best contact Virgin via the thread and they can check to see how they resolved it for previous posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Furzy wrote: »
    See link in post #17 of this thread.

Don't know which one you have but this worked great for me (don't have xiaomi router)
    http://www.ronanskehill.com/bridging-cisco-epc3925-and-using-asus-rt-n16-instead-howto/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I cant connect to my mini password is incorrect:confused: its the one supplied with the router HELP

Hootanany wrote: »
    I cant connect to my mini password is incorrect:confused: its the one supplied with the router HELP

Try resetting it.
    Black hole at back of router.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Did it when I go into set up new router I get No new or unpaired Mi Router was detected
    Retry
    I have set up a Mi account and all

I haven't set mine up yet, but maybe try a different frmware?

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/xiaomi/mini

http://en.miui.com/thread-135755-1-1.html

Hootanany wrote: »

I don't recall a password being supplied with the router. For initial setup I connected the new router by ethernet cable to my pc (LAN port on Mi router to LAN port on my pc) and logged on to miwifi.com via UPC router (using Wifi). I had to create a pw for the Mi router and additional admin pw (for changing router settings via the miwifi website). Once that was done I connected LAN from UPC to WAN on the Mi router and connected to 2.4g or 5g Mi router channels via wifi using the passwords I had created at setup.

• Advertisement

http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/UT8MeP4XrxbXXagOFbXK.jpg :D:D - Never easy when they claim it is :p

I still haven't received my repeaters and I was hoping to set the lot up today.. :(

Advertisement