Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30% Off Xiaomi Routers on 24th of December [Aliexpress.com]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

What is that? A router for ants?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Was thinking of buying some to see if they are as good as the reviews! Worth a shot if they are still available in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Newtown90 wrote: »
    Was thinking of buying some to see if they are as good as the reviews! Worth a shot if they are still available in the morning!

Same here, excellent reviews everywhere for months now, and I haven't bitten yet.
    They are only available for tomorrow at that price, starts at 8am our time and finishes at 8pm I think.

The youth seems to be the most popular but that version doesn't have Gigabit Ethernet port. I'm not bothered too much by that, also it would push the price up.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭WIZWEB

I have the 'mini'. Great piece of kit. 2.4 and 5g. Use it on crappy UPC/ Virgin Horizon box. Decent internet speeds, distance and smart DNS/VPN etc all work. Menu layout only in Chinese after updating but this is easy to convert to English using Google translator or use miwifi IPad/Android apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

WIZWEB wrote: »
    I have the 'mini'. Great piece of kit. 2.4 and 5g. Use it on crappy UPC/ Virgin Horizon box. Decent internet speeds, distance and smart DNS/VPN etc all work. Menu layout only in Chinese after updating but this is easy to convert to English using Google translator or use miwifi IPad/Android apps.

Just pulled the trigger is it easy to set up with the upc router any tips?

• Advertisement

Hootanany wrote: »
    Just pulled the trigger is it easy to set up with the upc router any tips?

Just attatch together with Ethernet cable and your sorted to plug n play. All other adjustments SSID name changes, guest wifi, DDNS etc are easily made later if required. I turned off wifi on Horizon box to prevent interference but it's probably not even necessary. Some reviews suggest turning off DHCP on one advice but I didn't need to do that. Nice to have the 5g which Horizon supports. Range much improved and very little interference as few neighbours on that frequency.

Got the mini and the Youth. Hopefully they don't take an eternity to arrive, as there wasn't a fast shipping option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Their menu is ONLY in Chinese right?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Skidmcmarx

Would I be right in saying the WAN port is only 100mps?

If so the AC speeds are wasted on 240mbp/s UPC as it cant pull full speed?

I was going to order one of these now but that would be a deal breaker.

moleyv wrote: »

These are the English version.
    Skidmcmarx wrote: »
    Would I be right in saying the WAN port is only 100mps?

If so the AC speeds are wasted on 240mbp/s UPC as it cant pull full speed?

I was going to order one of these now but that would be a deal breaker.

http://technofaq.org/posts/2015/07/xiaomi-mi-wi-fi-router-mini-review-big-bang-for-the-small-buck/

http://reviewsbucket.com/xiaomi-mi-wifi-router-youth-edition/

• Advertisement

moleyv wrote: »

Mine was English until I updated to latest firmware then reverted to an option of three types of Chinese only.

Allyall wrote:
    These are the English version.

Thanks, a mini and youth ordered to use as APs.
    WIZWEB wrote:
    Mine was English until I updated to latest firmware then reverted to an option of three types of Chinese only.

Thanks for the heads up.

Got shipping confirmation this morning!

I've not received confirmation yet. I guess they must have a lot of orders to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

Ally
    Will the repeater one boost wifi to the rear of a house on say an eircom router.
    Does it just have to be powered in a plug.
    Have poor wifi at front of house
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

Just to add , these routers are well regarded, and are brilliant value

I researched and was very interested in the mini model, which is dual band wifi, the only thing that put me off was the 100mbs wired port. Unless you have cat5/cat 6 etc in your house these is not an issue

Dual band Wifi, is much faster than single band, when you browse for wifi networks (ssids) you should see a 5ghz and 2.4 ghz network, the 5 is quicker and much less prone to interference
    Downside to 5 ghz is your range is a bit less, however as you move around the house, your phone, tablet etc, will pick the best ssid.

This thread describes how to use a third party router with UPC Virgin

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057367191 page 1

Most devices (laptops, tabs, phone etc) less than two years old, will see and connect to both the bands , older devices may see the 2.4ghz band only

My youth arrived this morning! Very sleek haven't had time to use it yet! Needs a USB power supply I think!

GY A1 wrote: »
    Ally
    Will the repeater one boost wifi to the rear of a house on say an eircom router.
    Does it just have to be powered in a plug.
    Have poor wifi at front of house
    Cheers

Sorry, I didn't see that at all, just saw the date and don't know how I didn't.. :o
    Yes, it should boost network all around a normal sized house easily enough.
    Can be powered by USB
    My youth arrived this morning! Very sleek haven't had time to use it yet! Needs a USB power supply I think!

Grrr.. Mine still not arrived..

Looking forward to them though. :)

I was reading up on them the other day. Someone says the English firmware isn't official, but made by the vendor. That could be a security issue for the paranoid.

There is no working DDWRT option.

There is an OPENWRT firmware, although quality of signal is less than that from stock firmware.

I have two minis and a youth on the way, I might play about with OPENWRT on the youth as it is extra to requirements and see how it goes, before possibly putting it on the two minis.

Got both of mine now. Make a huge difference in terms of wifi speed around the house! The 5ghz band is very impressive. Great purchase for the money!

• Advertisement

Got both of mine now. Make a huge difference in terms of wifi speed around the house! The 5ghz band is very impressive. Great purchase for the money!

Much involved setting up
    Or connecting to existing router

Much involved setting up
    Or connecting to existing router

Very quick, I set it up via my I-Phone, once you connect you get a pop up to carry you through set-up.

I think mine arrived today. I'm hoping it's them.
    Collecting them after 4.

Got shipping confirmation this morning!
    which onw would b best to boost wifi to end of house, say 10-12 metres from main router

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

The Mi WiFi Router 2 and repeaters arrived today. Managed to avoid customs somehow. Cheers for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Just bought the repeater, cheers original poster!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Cheers! Just ordered the Mini to start using the UPC 5GHZ. (hopefully)

Just bought the repeater, cheers original poster!

how are u going power it

how are u going power it

After you pair it, plug it into any USB port with power (plug/console/UPC box/Laptop etc..)

Mine still not arrived. The parcel yesterday was flashlights..
    Cool, but not what I'm waiting for..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

The Mi WiFi Router 2 and repeaters arrived today. Managed to avoid customs somehow. Cheers for the heads up.

Did you order on Christmas eve?

Advertisement