Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leicester vs Munster match thread, Sun 20 Dec 5:15pm, BeeTee Sport

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    Winning the Pro 12 for either side won't cushion the blow I'd think

of course it will to an extent. Its also important for seeding next yr.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It's the seeding that's most important. Being top seed for Europe would be very very beneficial.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Looking at the bigger picture, when certain players are back from injury, we are going to be ok in the forwards, but we need a prop, an inside centre and a proper full back for next season.
    It's a shame to say it, but Munster and Leinsters seasons are more or less over before Xmas.

Munster have 3 winnable games left in Europe which if they do win should get them into the QF's.

I'm sure plenty of Leinster fans would be happy to win the Pro12 too, don't know about ye lot though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Isn't seeding based on finishing position rather than actually winning it? Anyway, we should be worried about qualifying in the top 6

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Munster have 3 winnable games left in Europe which if they do win should get them into the QF's.

I'm sure plenty of Leinster fans would be happy to win the Pro12 too, don't know about ye lot though.

The only problem with Munsters last 3 games is they are 3 weekends running after back to back v leicester and then 2 interpro's. Thats a huge ask

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    Isn't seeding based on finishing position rather than actually winning it? Anyway, we should be worried about qualifying in the top 6

AFAIK the Pro12 goes by playoff position not after 22 games
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014%E2%80%9315_European_Rugby_Champions_Cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Looking at the bigger picture, when certain players are back from injury, we are going to be ok in the forwards, but we need a prop, an inside centre and a proper full back for next season.
    It's a shame to say it, but Munster and Leinsters seasons are more or less over before Xmas.

I'd like to see Sagario being given more game time specifically to see if he should be kept. We have a 12 (TB and a few who can cover there) but Saili will probably be given some time there soon, to see if being first receiver can spark him more.

To win the Pro 12 won't satisfy the European ambitions of supporters but would be of greater financial benefit to any Province to even have a home Semi-Final. HC win money goes to the IRFU but gate receipts stay with the Club. The mark-up Clubs earn from sales of match programmes, food and alcohol is very good and is a much-needed source of revenue. Clubs can go from red to black if the fans do their drinking in the Stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭phog

I was happy enough with our performance yesterday, a few errors cost us tries and allowed them their two tries.

I thought John Ryan was immense and I thought our pack did very well, Murray & Keatley not up to scratch. Scannell and JOD are really coming on well too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

I'd like to see Sagario being given more game time specifically to see if he should be kept. We have a 12 (TB and a few who can cover there) but Saili will probably be given some time there soon, to see if being first receiver can spark him more.

To win the Pro 12 won't satisfy the European ambitions of supporters but would be of greater financial benefit to any Province to even have a home Semi-Final. HC win money goes to the IRFU but gate receipts stay with the Club. The mark-up Clubs earn from sales of match programmes, food and alcohol is very good and is a much-needed source of revenue. Clubs can go from red to black if the fans do their drinking in the Stadium.
    Not for Leinster. RDS receives the money from the concessions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

aimee1 wrote: »
    The only problem with Munsters last 3 games is they are 3 weekends running after back to back v leicester and then 2 interpro's. Thats a huge ask

That's true but you won't be losing that many players to any Ireland camp and the first Euro game is Stade away. Win that one and I can see Stade sending their B team to Thomond and then you're left with an away game to Treviso who haven't won at all this season.

• Advertisement

That's true but you won't be losing that many players to any Ireland camp and the first Euro game is Stade away. Win that one and I can see Stade sending their B team to Thomond and then you're left with an away game to Treviso who haven't won at all this season.

Losing Earls, Zebo, Kilcoyne, Murray, Ryan, Foley and possibly Stander, Cronin and maybe 1/2 others to the ireland camp in the week before european refix?

Stade are still alive in europe with Munster and Leicester still to visit Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Stade away is a difficult ask as they have run into form in Europe albeit against Treviso but I agree that if Munster can win that game they have a good shot at making the latter stages of ECC. At the moment I would back Leicester to win all their games in this pool.

I don't think Foley will be called up and can't see both Kilcoyne and Cronin called up either. Murray will be but TOL is there to deputise.

So out of the 23 from yesterday maybe 2 from the pack (one LH and Stander) and prob 3 from the backs (Zebo, Earls, Murray).

I dunno if Stade have played themselves into form either as Treviso have given up a TBP to their opposition in all of their games so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭shootermacg

aimee1 wrote: »
    Losing Earls, Zebo, Kilcoyne, Murray, Ryan, Foley and possibly Stander, Cronin and maybe 1/2 others to the ireland camp in the week before european refix?

I'd say ToL might go too, he's been very good since his return.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Registered Users Posts: 29 What The?

Anyone know if there's a place to watch the match back in full? Have looked online etc without luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

First time able to post after the weekend- it was my first European away game bar finals & games within Ireland; Welford Road is a nice ground and the Leicester fans, in fairness to them, were universally nice.

As for the match, it was disappointing. Again it's the little things- we seem to make vital errors much too often. Knock-ons & forward passes in the opposition 22, overrunning the ball, simple things. If Murray passes it backwards to Cronin, that makes it a completely different game. If Saili's intercept becomes a try, the same. But Leicester did deserve the win really- they have a bit more about them, they always looked more threatening in attack than we did.

We needed to win really, do we look like beating Stade away in current form? Not really... without POM & TOD, we really look much weaker. And there doesn't seem to be much invention in the backline despite some very talented players there. When you have Zebo & Earls on the wing, they should be doing huge damage, they are excellent players. Conway is playing well too... but that would be my biggest worry from a coaching standpoint. Definitely not getting the best out of them. Can be hard if your pack isn't on top, but we don't even seem to be trying much beyond shunt the ball out to the next player.

Advertisement