Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2015

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Tyson Fury should have won but the brits couldn't vote for someone who has a few un pc opinions.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Tyson Gay should have won but the brits couldn't vote for someone who has a few un pc opinions.

Fury you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    As I said last year announcing the third and second places is like bulleye years ago with here a look at what you could have won.

Maybe... but I still think second or third is a good achievement. :o:);)

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So his missus is up the duff. It seems that it's not just on the court where Andy gets match point.

I think he'll be a pretty good dad. Roger Federer certainly is. :);)

Stheno wrote: »
    Fury you mean?

Thanks man, dont think Fury would do 100m under 10sec.:)

Somewhat easy to overlook the fact that Murray is now a two-time SPOTY winner.

The last one was Damon Hill (1994 and 1996), and the only others are Henry Cooper (1967 and 1970) and Nigel Mansell (1986 and 1992).

However, the person with the most placings is, in fact, Steve Davis - winner in 1988, second in 1981 and 1987, and third in 1984 and 1989.

"Pot the reds then screw back
    For the yellow, green, brown, blue, pink and black..."

2851_nugget.jpg

:D:D:D;););)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Maybe... but I still think second or third is a good achievement. :o:);)

I think he'll be a pretty good dad. Roger Federer certainly is. :);)

Roger Federer is a good Dad ?

He has a slave maid look after his 4 kids while he greedily plays tennis at 34 when he's way past it.

Yeah great Dad he is ... really getting his priorities right at his age.

Blimey, Kevin Sinfield picked up nearly four times as many votes as TF - and only around 83,000 fewer votes than Murray. :eek: :eek: :eek: :D:D:D

http://www.bbc.com/sport/sports-personality/35130585

And Jessica Ennis-Hill only beat TF to third by around 7,500 votes.

The rest of the order was pretty much as expected. Shame that Lucy Bronze had to be the one to finish last, though - even with her slightly odd choice of footwear... :o:o;)

It's sports PERSONALITY, well he should never win it so, he is a very accomplished sportsman but has 0% personality.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's sports PERSONALITY, well he should never win it so, he is a very accomplished sportsman but has 0% personality.
    Completely irrelevant point that someone tries to raise each year. In this case it was a public vote. Murray, quite rightly in my opinion, won. It would be a real travesty if it was awarded to anyone based on their personality rather than sporting achievements and skills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

When you drag a bunch a ragtag of alsorans to Davis Cup success- you deserve it

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    Completely irrelevant point that someone tries to raise each year. In this case it was a public vote. Murray, quite rightly in my opinion, won. It would be a real travesty if it was awarded to anyone based on their personality rather than sporting achievements and skills

OK then Phil Taylor should have won it about 10 years in a row seeing as he won everything. :rolleyes:

Remove PERSONALITY from it. Murray is a great sportsman but won no grand slam or got even near in 2015 so no he didn't deserve it.

Zara Phillips won it in 2006 and Darren Clarke was 2nd, she won it because she is a royal and Clarke because his wife had died. Made a joke of the whole thing.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK then Phil Taylor should have won it about 10 years in a row seeing as he won everything. :rolleyes:

Remove PERSONALITY from it. Murray is a great sportsman but won no grand slam or got even near in 2015 so no he didn't deserve it.
    He deserved it because he both delivered almost single-handedly something that GBR had not seen in nearly 80 years, but also garnered more votes than anyone else (which is the measure of this particular award at this particular time). Maybe you should write to the BBC if you believe you have a better way of determining who wins this particular trophy.

So he didn't win a grand slam - so what? His achievements during 2015 where phenomenal when you look at GBR's tennis history.

Beasty wrote: »
    He deserved it because he both delivered almost single-handedly something that GBR had not seen in nearly 80 years, but also garnered more votes than anyone else (which is the measure of this particular award at this particular time). Maybe you should write to the BBC if you believe you have a better way of determining who wins this particular trophy.

So he didn't win a grand slam - so what? His achievements during 2015 where phenomenal when you look at GBR's tennis history.

Oh ya he is a great player, but in the final against Belgium he won both his singles matches in straight sets. 1 guy is ranked in the 100s and the other in the 300s, hardly brilliant in fairness.

I don't agree the Grand Slam are the big ones. They did win the team event on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Gaygooner wrote: »
    When you drag a bunch a ragtag of alsorans to Davis Cup success- you deserve it

...against that power house of men's professional tennis....The Belgians.

As far as I can tell it is just another excuse for the BBC to puff themselves with their sense of self importance. <snip>

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement