Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2015

Options
  • 20-12-2015 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭

Yes, it's that time of year once again... :D;)

It's going to be a pretty interesting show this year, I think - there'll almost certainly be tributes of some sort to three genuine legends in Richie Benaud, Peter O'Sullevan and Jimmy Hill, but there's also going to be Tyson Fury. :o:o:o

I'm sure most people will be happy that he's only the fourth favourite, while Andy Murray is odds-on to win after leading Britain to their first Davis Cup title in nearly 80 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

It's pretty much discredited before it has even started considering Fury should, but won't win. Murray is a huge boxing fan and a humble guy, i think he'll be embarrassed to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

It would be funny if Tyson Fury won the big one, just to see the reaction from the Liberal Thought Police.

But I think Andy Murray will take it. All his Davis Cup wins were on the BBC, he has a much higher profile among casual viewers than Fury.

Similarly, it is strange to see no Cricketers in the Shortlist in a year when England won the Ashes. If some of those matches had been on free TV, it's likely that Joe Root or Jimmy Anderson would received a nomination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Skid X wrote: »
    Similarly, it is strange to see no Cricketers in the Shortlist in a year when England won the Ashes. If some of those matches had been on free TV, it's likely that Joe Root or Jimmy Anderson would received a nomination.

Others factors there, though, were the fact that this was England's fourth consecutive home Ashes win, and the fact that this really wasn't the most exciting series ever (aside, of course, from Australia being bowled out for 60 before lunch on the first day at Trent Bridge, with Stuart Broad taking eight for 15).

Ella Henderson sounds and looks great. :o:);)

"Yellow Pearl"! :D:D:D:D

And there are the first boos for TF... :D;)

• Advertisement

Lucy Bronze looks fab too.

Not too sure about her choice of footwear though. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Niall Horan is in the front row for a sporting award ceremony. WTF??? Heavy Irish presence from both sides of the border in the audience.

Remember when this used to be a sports review of the year?

edit. Eddie Irvine rockin' the shades indoor!

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Niall Horan is in the front row for a sporting award ceremony. WTF??? Heavy Irish presence from both sides of the border in the audience.

Eamonn Holmes is there too. ;)

Yes, it was the Sports Review of the Year - and not all about the personalities - until the turn of the millennium.

Oh, I see - Max Whitlock is pretty good *on* the piano. :o:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

If its based purely on sporting ability/achievement then Froome is the obvious choice (I may be biased in that). If its personality as well as ability then its.... Fury! He may be a knob but he fulfils the criteria.

• Advertisement

If its based purely on sporting ability/achievement then Froome is the obvious choice (I may be biased in that). If its personality as well as ability then its.... Fury! He may be a knob but he fulfils the criteria.

Well, personality may well have played a part in Lewis Hamilton beating Rory McIlroy last year... :o:o;)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

When is this being announced? I really want Tyson Fury to win just to see the reaction.

Doff wrote: »
    When is this being announced? I really want Tyson Fury to win just to see the reaction.

In about an hour's time.

He still hasn't been on yet. They couldn't be saving him till last... could they?

Do I need to say that Lizzie Armitstead also looks fantastic...? :o:o:D:);)

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

It's been a fairly dour year in British sport if a grand slamless Andy Murray is favourite for this. I live in London and didnt even realise they had won the Davis cup until I looked at the odds today. Jess Ennis at second favourite is under whelming as well considering it wasn't an Olympic year (which is the only time people really care about athletics). Really shows what a joke it was last year with McElroy not winning.

It's been a fairly dour year in British sport if a grand slamless Andy Murray is favourite for this. I live in London and didnt even realise they had won the Davis cup until I looked at the odds today. Jess Ennis at second favourite is under whelming as well considering it wasn't an Olympic year (which is the only time people really care about athletics). Really shows what a joke it was last year with McElroy not winning.

We still watch it though. :o:o;);)

Rory presenting McCoy with the Lifetime Achievement award. In Belfast. Accompanied by the "Champions" theme. Couldn't be any more appropriate... :);)

Are people not watching just because of Tyson Fury?

Well, unfortunately, he still hasn't been on yet. We've had Jessica Ennis-Hill, we've had a humorous little kid win the Helen Rollason award, and just now we've had AP McCoy - but we're still waiting for TF.

Why, I'm not too sure... :o:o

EDIT: Well, now he's about to come on. If there isn't a huge chorus of boos, I'll be pretty surprised... :o:o:D:D;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Well that was slightly ackward.

Well, I am pretty surprised. :eek: :eek: :o:o:D

I can only presume that at some point, the audience were instructed not to boo him... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

Martin O'Neill, Graeme Mcdowell, Rory McIlroy, Padraig Harrington in the front row alongside Niall Horan

• Advertisement

blackcard wrote: »
    Martin O'Neill, Graeme Mcdowell, Rory McIlroy, Padraig Harrington in the front row alongside Niall Horan

<PEDANT>

Didn't you see NH co-presenting the Helen Rollason award, and McIlroy presenting McCoy with the Lifetime award?

</PEDANT>

:o:o:);)

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

blackcard wrote: »

Lowry there too.

No-one's pointed out Martin McGuinness yet... :o:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Balding's doppleganger WTF.

Dublin's and Kilkenny's respective All-Ireland wins mentioned there.

I can't help but wonder if this would have been the case if the show had been held in London, Manchester or Glasgow... :o:o:D;)

Meanwhile, Eddie Izzard is bringing back memories of the Weakest Link. :D:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Dublin's and Kilkenny's respective All-Ireland wins mentioned there.

I can't help but wonder if this would have been the case if the show had been held in London, Manchester or Glasgow... :o:o:D;)

Meanwhile, Eddie Izzard is bringing back memories of the Weakest Link. :D:D;)

Of course they wouldn't have been mentioned.

Eddie Izzard! WTF!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I preferred it when Des Lynam presented Sports Review of the Year and they had a silly game in the middle. It was a bit of fun and made for better Television.

it is very bloated and worthy now, they are afraid to chance anything off the cuff in case the BBC gets more criticism.

Skid X wrote: »
    I preferred it when Des Lynam presented Sports Review of the Year and they had a silly game in the middle. It was a bit of fun and made for better Television.

it is very bloated and worthy now, they are afraid to chance anything off the cuff in case the BBC gets more criticism.

And I can't help but point out that while it's nice to remember the sportspeople that left this world over the course of the year... I'm fairly sure that this particular slot used to be occupied by the "Funnies".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Whats the criteria for these awards... is it people from uk and northern ireland or uk and all of ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

Michael does the double!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement