Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Sports Awards 2015

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

delaad wrote: »
    He was born in Portadown, Co Armagh, but raised in Ballymena, Antrim. Antrim at its closest point is 13 miles from Scotland.

We'll leave it at that for the minute.

Dover is 20 miles from France. Should they play in the French leagues? Ask James McClean.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

delaad wrote: »
    Do you not know where Portadown is, or Ballymena for that matter?

Yes I'm well aware of where they are, he spent a few years in Scotland and his accent seems like hybrid Nordie/Scottish accent, you've heard Tagh Kennelly's Oz/Kerry accent? anyway this is a fairly silly thing to be arguing about so I'll leave at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Yes I'm well aware of where they are, he spent a few years in Scotland and his accent seems like hybrid Nordie/Scottish accent, you've heard Tagh Kennelly's Oz/Kerry accent? anyway this is a fairly silly thing to be arguing about so I'll leave at that.

Michael O'Neill has pure Mid-Antrim accent, full stop. Take a tour of the Glens sometime, fabulous country. Might broaden your horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭joeysoap

JK.BMC wrote: »
    Dundalk FC

Team of the Year

"It's amazing really..."

Well that's an understatement

The only award that was decided by public vote. Fair to say it caught everybody by surprise. Most have gotten votes from outside of Dundalk to win ( no votes from Drogheda is a given)

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

joeysoap wrote: »
    The only award that was decided by public vote. Fair to say it caught everybody by surprise. Most have gotten votes from outside of Dundalk to win ( no votes from Drogheda is a given)

In fairness it was fully deserved. They have marked themselves as one of the best teams in the league's history which is the benchmark that should be used. I don't think anyone would argue this Kilkenny team is one of their best ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,110 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

radharc wrote: »
    In fairness it was fully deserved. They have marked themselves as one of the best teams in the league's history which is the benchmark that should be used. I don't think anyone would argue this Kilkenny team is one of their best ever.

You wouldn't normally expect a LOI team to win the team of the year award simply for winning their domestic league and cup, no matter how impressively they did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Amazed Dundalk won. Nothing against them, they had a great year but they were up against some serious opposition. Never even entered my mind that they might win it. Actually thought they would be rank outsiders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

Fair play to Dundalk - getting all those votes speaks volumes

Amazed Dundalk won. Nothing against them, they had a great year but they were up against some serious opposition. Never even entered my mind that they might win it. Actually thought they would be rank outsiders.

Same here. Simply winning the league and cup double (which has been done quite a few times) hardly marks a team out for a most outstanding achievement and as you say they were up against some really strong contenders for the award last night. In Britain, the BBC team award rarely goes to a soccer team, not unless they've won a European trophy or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I don't understand how this works, Carl Frampton was nominated and is the actual world champion. Michael Conlan is just an amateur world champion.

I'm sure we have some fantastic amateur Tennis players but they don't get held in the same esteem as Roger Federer.

Anyhow, McGregor should have won. He didn't get it because he didn't turn up.

• Advertisement

I don't understand how this works, Carl Frampton was nominated and is the actual world champion. Michael Conlan is just an amateur world champion.

I'm sure we have some fantastic amateur Tennis players but they don't get held in the same esteem as Roger Federer.

Anyhow, McGregor should have won. He didn't get it because he didn't turn up.

In terms of fame and achievement, McGregor would be way ahead of Conlon. The time to give the award to Conlon would have been if he had come back from Rio next year with a gold medal.....as it stands, he is a world champion in an amateur discipline and is a relative unknown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Conlon should've asked to have his awarded present to him at the BBC award. Would have saved him a trip down to Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Does anyone (public or sportspeople) actually give a toss about these awards?

Seems like the only reason you would want to turn up is out of good manners rather than any prestige attached to the award.Surely an award decided by your own sporting body is far more important than being lumped together with various other sports , it's completely pointless comparing achievements across sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimmythedivil

Does anyone (public or sportspeople) actually give a toss about these awards?

Seems like the only reason you would want to turn up is out of good manners rather than any prestige attached to the award.Surely an award decided by your own sporting body is far more important than being lumped together with various other sports , it's completely pointless comparing achievements across sports.

Totally agree. Can't believe how pompous and overblown these things have become.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

MMA is not more prestigious than Amateur Boxing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭joeysoap

JK.BMC wrote: »
    Just switched on

Now: a question for fans of Irish sport (fingers on buzzers...)

Name the manager of the Northern Irish Soccer team...

Quickly now - he is supposedly the best manager in the country. A real household name.

Seriously, he is.

Fair play to him.

Just after winning the equivalent UK award

As you say , fair play to him, he is the best manager/coach around (given the talent he has work with)

He was a very hard act to follow at Rovers, so much so that Rovers didn't recognise that and didn't give Stephen Kenny a chance to succeed. (And Stephen would have succeeded)

Advertisement