Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asked to work while sick

Options
  • 15-12-2015 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'm looking for feedback on a situation.

I rang in sick to work yesterday - I have the flu and am quite exhausted. I'm not surprised I got sick and feel run down to be honest because I have been working long hours and work is pretty stressful. Last week for example, I worked my contracted 39 hours + about 10 hours extra (unpaid). More fool me I guess...

Anyway, I called in sick to work yesterday and my manager was fine with it. I still wasn't feeling better today so I contacted her again this morning, before 9pm, telling her I was still feeling ill and wasn't up to coming in. She said ok, but then sent me a messages asking for an update on a number of things.

In order to produce this update, I had to go through my work emails and collate information from a number of emails I have received over the past few days and then send her a report.

So I'm just wondering, is it OK for my manager to ask me for something like this when I have called in sick? After contacting her this morning I really wanted to just rest and focus on getting better.

Maybe I'm being unreasonable, but this doesn't feel right.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

I guess you run the risk that if you're well enough to work from home, it gives the impression you're well enough to be in work.

Personally speaking i'd politely decline the request. I know a girl who was off sick, a teacher. She still managed to send in notes for the supply teacher. Feedback from the principal, heard through someone else was exactly as i described above, he doubted her illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I rang in sick to work yesterday - I have the flu and am quite exhausted. I'm not surprised I got sick and feel run down to be honest because I have been working long hours and work is pretty stressful. Last week for example, I worked my contracted 39 hours + about 10 hours extra (unpaid). More fool me I guess...

In order to produce this update, I had to go through my work emails and collate information from a number of emails I have received over the past few days and then send her a report.

Politely decline to do either, your not talking 30/40 mins extra your talking 1hr or more a day doing unpaid overtime.

Do what my manager does and what your manager more than likely does when there off sick or just off in general. Switch off the phone!

Hope you get better soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

You just have to learn to say no.

I had a manager once ask me if the laptop cable would stretch into my loo when I was off with diarrohea so that I could still work from the toilet. I asked him to confirm that query via email and Id respond if the cable reached. Needless to say he wasnt going to put that in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 liljellytot

postitnote wrote: »
    I guess you run the risk that if you're well enough to work from home, it gives the impression you're well enough to be in work.

Personally speaking i'd politely decline the request. I know a girl who was off sick, a teacher. She still managed to send in notes for the supply teacher. Feedback from the principal, heard through someone else was exactly as i described above, he doubted her illness.

Yeah I was worried about this alright.
    I carried out the task this morning as I was afraid to say no, afraid of repercussions on my return. It took me longer to complete than it would if I was feeling well, but I did it none the less. But I don't know whether I should mention it to someone tomorrow e.g. a higher manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Chalk it down to lesson learned. You did 10 hours free of charge last week. Now you are sick and still expected to deliver. And you did.
    I was you in a previous life. Never said no, always available and always reliable. Always got sick too in first few days of annual leave.
    Start saying no more often, leave work on time etc. Your life is important too. All about Balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Depends really, what is your job description?. Does your manager have access to your emails?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 liljellytot

Depends really, what is your job description?. Does your manager have access to your emails?

I'm a Marketing Exec (although feels like a personal assistant sometimes), no she wouldnt have access to my emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Czhornet

Yeah I was worried about this alright.
    I carried out the task this morning as I was afraid to say no, afraid of repercussions on my return. It took me longer to complete than it would if I was feeling well, but I did it none the less. But I don't know whether I should mention it to someone tomorrow e.g. a higher manager.

If you're sick, you are sick. What ever it is, it can wait, you are just a number at the end of the day, and busting yourself and not getting paid overtime is a definite no no. I'd put your phone on silent and relax for the afternoon, forget about work, it will still be left for you when you go back (from my experience anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

With my work I would have to give a handover. So when I rang in sick I would follow up with an email handover and tell them to access my work email for any further information. Then turn my phone off. I also don't have a voicemail on my phone. Chances are they won't email you looking for answers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I had a manager once ask me if the laptop cable would stretch into my loo when I was off with diarrohea so that I could still work from the toilet. I asked him to confirm that query via email and Id respond if the cable reached. Needless to say he wasnt going to put that in writing.

What a ridiculous question!

Laptops have batteries for a reason! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You do not have the flu, you have a cold, that's not enough reason not to turn up for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

You need to see this thread!

OP, I am an employer and would no way expect, or ask, any employee to do work whilst sick. Just turn off your phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

The indignation at being asked to check an email while off with a cold. How precious do you have to be to be offended by the mare question of checking an email? Out the door for you my dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭skallywag

I can understand that your manager may need to have an update and I've been in such a situation myself in the past where I have needed to have information from a colleague who was out sick.

However I wouldn't expect a team member to have to delve through emails and send me a detailed report, it would be more the case that I would give them a call and either ask for a very brief update over the phone, or else just ask them to forward any important emails etc directly to me. Hence I agree that your boss is behaving unreasonable here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Jobs are about mutual agreement and getting along, especially if you are doing a well payed job with more responsibility. I dont know your job op, but for me, if something had to be done while I was sick, i would do it if it was something vital that could be done quickly. If it wasnt important or just too much while I was sick I would leave it off. You have to make the call yourself. Its easy to get taken for a ride, but on the flipside, you don't get be called an executive or a manager without some inevitable after hours tasks that are needed to keep the business running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

davo10 wrote: »
    The indignation at being asked to check an email while off with a cold. How precious do you have to be to be offended by the mare question of checking an email? Out the door for you my dear.

Of course, it might help if you actually read the original e-mail. She wasn't asked to just check an e-mail, she was asked for updates which needed a report and took over an hour.

And love the condescending attitude at the end too :eek:

Of course, it might help if you actually read the original e-mail. She wasn't asked to just check an e-mail, she was asked for updates which needed a report and took over an hour.

And love the condescending attitude at the end too :eek:

Still involves just opening a lap top while lying in bed. The op isn't being asked to get dressed and come into work while sick, just check emails for updates. Ya, out the door as soon as possible, if that is too much to ask while out with a cold, I'd find someone with a bit more gumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Pretty sure it's illegal to ask you to work when sick even if it's a cold.......

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If you are unable to go to work then you are unable to carry out work no matter what. If you fell down the stairs while doing the task at home is your jobs insurance covering you?
    I was off work for a few months and my boss was on my back over and over to get back in to the office because he couldnt do my work, when I came back to work I complained to his manager who told me he should not have been in contact with me while I was off sick.

jonny24ie wrote: »
    If you are unable to go to work then you are unable to carry out work no matter what. If you fell down the stairs while doing the task at home is your jobs insurance covering you?
    I was off work for a few months and my boss was on my back over and over to get back in to the office because he couldnt do my work, when I came back to work I complained to his manager who told me he should not have been in contact with me while I was off sick.

You were on certified leave, op has a cold which I'm guessing is not certified as it is only 2 days. If you think being contacted to check emails is putting someone at risk while they are off with a cold, then its a mad world.

• Advertisement

screamer wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's illegal to ask you to work when sick even if it's a cold.......

Link please.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

You were on certified leave, op has a cold which I'm guessing is not certified as it is only 2 days. If you think being contacted to check emails is putting someone at risk while they are off with a cold, then its a mad world.

If you read the OP you will see where the OP states "Flu", you have changed this to "Cold" to suit your argument. Are you a Dr?

If you are not in work due to illness then they cant expect you to work from home!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I think for something like this it depends totally on what is expected. I've rung in sick before & been asked would I drop an email letting the team I was working with know where I was on certain pieces. This was so there wasn't duplication of efforts & they could get on with things in my absence. I sent off a few bullet points in an email & all was fine.

For me the question would be - did your manager expect a detailed report like what you spent time doing or just the brief overview? Also was there any question of when you might be well enough to be back? Your manager may have been trying to make sure that things were covered if you were still off for another few days. I've been guilty of sending too much when an outline would do myself which is why I ask.

Might be worth having a chat with your manager when you go back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Oh lovely, I do love a manager with a medical degree. Try telling me the above and Id have you hung over the HR coals quicker than you could say "can I get you a lemsip?".

Who'd want to work somewhere if a manager had an attitude like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

If you are off sick then a 5 min transition call is grand, generating reports for an hour is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭westcoast66

Where I work its about 50% contractors and 50% full time employees.

The contractors (who get paid by the day) are rarely off sick while FT employees are always taking sickies. Makes you wonder!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,753 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you read the OP you will see where the OP states "Flu", you have changed this to "Cold" to suit your argument. Are you a Dr?

If you are not in work due to illness then they cant expect you to work from home!

If the OP had the flu (as per their initial post), then they would not have been physically able to do what was asked, and they would not be even contemplating returning tomorrow.

OP, by doing what was requested, you have actually demonstrated to your manager that you weren't really that sick. This may not have been a clever move on your part. Best of luck with whatever happens next.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

IMO it's a judgment call. There are certain jobs where one person's work is easily covered by someone else and nobody is dependent on their individual knowledge. In jobs like this the employee will most likely be left alone as there's nothing they can do to help from home.

In other jobs the business can't always carry on as usual around an unplanned absence. Being too sick to come to work doesn't always mean you're too sick to pick up a laptop. Both sides need to be reasonable and go with the employee's decision. There are some project or customers that can just be asked to wait until the employee is better, other tasks are business critical and can't wait.

Obviously there are some illnesses that can't be worked around. In our company if somebody said they were so violently ill that they couldn't open a vital email we'd just change their password and log in to their email account, it is company property after all. We'd probably put a forward on the account while they're off.

Nobody can physically force you to do the work from home but they are your colleagues and you will have to work with them in the future so if I was well enough to help out in some way that wouldn't make me sicker, I'd try to avoid leaving them high and dry.

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

I have always gone to work while having a cold but this year it came back to bite me. I worked through a week of feeling really sick (bad cold) and 3 weeks later ended up in hospital over night with pneumonia for my troubles and ended up out of work for the rest of the week.

From now on I think I'll listen to my body and take a day or two off for my immune system to recover. Yeah sure I could work through it but at what cost.

Lesson learned.

Advertisement