Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

If Isis were to attack Ireland, what places would be target?

1234579

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tecknika


    Beyondgone wrote: »
    Says you. So far, they have a 100% Track record of keeping Ireland free from Islamic Terrorist attacks. Best in the World.

    Better than Iceland or St Helena ..dumb statement


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper


    Looking at the actual tactics of ISIS in Europe the most obvious targets we should worry about are,
    (a) busy nightclub streets and areas, so Temple Bar (London - most recent attack, Paris 2015)
    (b) pedestrian areas, so Grafton St. maybe (London - Westminster, Nice truck attack, Sweden)
    (c) concerts (Manchester, Paris 2015)

    This is their MO and the pattern is relatively clear.

    Re: whether they would not attack here some of ye don't seem to understand ISIS. Their aim is not to respond to Western war per se, but also Western values. It is naive in the extreme to assume we will not be attacked within the next few years (ask the Swedes how 'not us' works).


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone


    tecknika wrote: »
    Better than Iceland or St Helena ..dumb statement

    Says you. I say it is what it is. Maybe Iceland and St Helena have superb Police forces too. The Gardai have also foiled every attempted attack by Basque Separatists on Irish targets. Nipped it right in the bud. Other Forces should take notes.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper


    Samaris wrote: »
    On the one hand, no, I don't see a major and official attack being launched on an Irish target. On the other, blowing up something in a small, relatively defenseless, western country would abso-bloody-lutely get noticed. Dick move, chaps. And they do like their dick moves.

    Still and all, if there was to be an attack here, it'd be a group of radical idiots that copy-cat, which could happen anywhere.

    Crowd-source warfare. Hurrah.

    Indeed, ISIS operate a lone wolf method outside their stronger cells. So if some dude here wants to attack he can just claim ISIS and they will take the credit. I find it hard to believe there is not 1 or 2 people in Ireland radicalised to this degree. They might do some small attack, like these low-level ones you hear about from time to time, but lack 'numbers.'


  • Registered Users Posts: 43,004 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989


    Any major shopping centre on a busy Saturday


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper


    you couldn't be more wrong.
    the carnage would be huge.
    yes the terrorists would kill a few but the stampede would kill thousands.
    I know stadiums are designed to allow people out reasonably fast but that is with calm people. if there was a terror attack there would be 80000 people rushing to 'safety'. look at hillsbouragh disaster and a few others. a stampede is a real killer. imaging 2 lunatics on one end of croke park with ak47s . everyone would rush out into the stairs, and corridors. then imagine another 4 nutters with more guns. all they would have to do is funnel the people and you could kill 20000 easily

    Sounds fancy. In reality the last attempt failed as none of the terrorists made it near to the stadium. I think they killed one guy, a security guard. This was Paris if you recall. You have a sort of movie vision here that does not square with reality. A stadium is a retarded target and hence they seem to have stopped trying.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie


    scopper wrote: »
    Indeed, ISIS operate a lone wolf method outside their stronger cells. So if some dude here wants to attack he can just claim ISIS and they will take the credit. I find it hard to believe there is not 1 or 2 people in Ireland radicalised to this degree. '

    To bad for them, accessing firearms or any other chemical/physical weapons capable of mass destruction is nearly impossible in Ireland

    The reason Ireland hasn't been shielded isn't necessarily to do with our 'neutrality' (many countries attacked in Europe that weren't involved in ME conflict) but simply because of the extremely strict legislation on importing, storing and owning dangerous weapons compared to other countries.

    I mean you know how many 'crazies' we have in this country; It' not as if the United States is unique in this situation. If there was a market for 'assault rifles' in Ireland then terrorists and school shooters would be on RTE in the following months.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone


    tecknika wrote: »

    Our Air Corps would struggle if Russia moshed over with a few dozen Migs too. What would you like? A Cop with a gun on every corner, 24/7? Because "something might happen". I'm going to go with the traditional and long proven method of dealing with stuff that may or may not happen - "Be Grand".


  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tecknika


    Beyondgone wrote: »
    Our Air Corps would struggle if Russia moshed over with a few dozen Migs too. What would you like? A Cop with a gun on every corner, 24/7? Because "something might happen". I'm going to go with the traditional and long proven method of dealing with stuff that may or may not happen - "Be Grand".

    importing at a rate of 35% increase between each census to be a policy explained to us. that would be a help.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper


    jeanjolie wrote: »
    To bad for them, accessing firearms or any other chemical/physical weapons capable of mass destruction is nearly impossible in Ireland

    The reason Ireland hasn't been shielded isn't necessarily to do with our 'neutrality' (many countries attacked in Europe that weren't involved in ME conflict) but simply because of the extremely strict legislation on importing, storing and owning dangerous weapons compared to other countries.

    I mean you know how many 'crazies' we have in this country; It' not as if the United States is unique in this situation. If there was a market for 'assault rifles' in Ireland then terrorists and school shooters would be on RTE in the following months.

    Most ISIS attacks don't involve firearms. They involve knives or vans/trucks.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki


    What a fooking daft thread from the point of view that you could give one of the brainwashed morons ideas. Wasn't that lunatic khalid kelly posting on here before.


  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tecknika


    ChikiChiki wrote: »
    What a fooking daft thread from the point of view that you could give one of the brainwashed morons ideas. Wasn't that lunatic khalid kelly posting on here before.

    what happened to the lad the media where celebrating for running a militia in libya a few years back. he was from tallaght i think.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone


    ChikiChiki wrote: »
    What a fooking daft thread from the point of view that you could give one of the brainwashed morons ideas. Wasn't that lunatic khalid kelly posting on here before.

    Actually, it will "Be Grand", but for an odd reason - kinda "The Shannon Theory".

    Isislamisists regard Ireland as a handy "R&R" area and "jumping off point for their cockwombles (I loved that earlier, it's perfect) to Launch attacks on Mainland Europe and the UK. So, if you've got a nice quiet backwater where you and your slightly dim mates can plan stuff and get a bit of shut-eye without worrying about MI5.5 coming through your door mob handed, why would you sh1t on the rug by annoying the locals? They won't. So, directly or indirectly, we are once again spared from conflict because "slightly less strict than most". Which , IMO, is a win of sorts. Ish. Kinda. Anyway, they won't attack us, they reckon we're too useful as we are.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins


    tecknika wrote: »

    One thing that stood out was the point about training exercises. How can anyone claim our security people are well trained, when they have never conducted a drill?

    ChikiChiki, was Kelly really on Boards? If so did he ever say anything significant?


  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tecknika


    Beyondgone wrote: »
    Actually, it will "Be Grand", but for an odd reason - kinda "The Shannon Theory".

    Isislamisists regard Ireland as a handy "R&R" area and "jumping off point for their cockwombles (I loved that earlier, it's perfect) to Launch attacks on Mainland Europe and the UK. So, if you've got a nice quiet backwater where you and your slightly dim mates can plan stuff and get a bit of shut-eye without worrying about MI5.5 coming through your door mob handed, why would you sh1t on the rug by annoying the locals? They won't. So, directly or indirectly, we are once again spared from conflict because "slightly less strict than most". Which , IMO, is a win of sorts. Ish. Kinda. Anyway, they won't attack us, they reckon we're too useful as we are.

    You have a dangerous mindset. Plus why would we want hassle going to the UK again as irish.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone


    Oddly, the US regard us in a similar light - The slightly flakey lads with the handy Airport.. we're like the worlds bad guys B&B/aircraft carrier..


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone


    tecknika wrote: »
    You have a dangerous mindset. Plus why would we want hassle going to the UK again as irish.

    I do in me hoop. Unless you get a savage Tan and decide to grow a beard, I doubt you'll notice any hassle popping over for some shopping in the Arndale.


  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tecknika


    35% growth between each census. Why is the government trying to hard with the islamification of ireland


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone


    tecknika wrote: »
    35% growth between each census. Why is the government trying to hard with the islamification of ireland

    The News Tonight was announcing the end of Ramadan.

    You go figure it out, you're a bright chap.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone


    Outright attacks won't be the problem anyway. The boiling a frog marginalisation of the indigenous population will be. I'd never be UN-PC enough to say that in public or on a forum tho. It wouldn't go down well. No..wait..


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15


    tiger55 wrote: »
    Neither did Australian tourists in Bali or people on the Spanish Metro.  I can give you 101 other examples if you wish...

    Whatever about the Madrid bombings. The Australians tourists should have tough twice about drinking in a Muslim country. If your kuffar and go to Muslim you at your own risk


  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭buzzinfly83


    I'd be shocked if any Western country can truly believe they will not be a target for terrorist attacks.


  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tecknika


    Beyondgone wrote: »
    The News Tonight was announcing the end of Ramadan.

    You go figure it out, you're a bright chap.

    Islamification maybe


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone


    tecknika wrote: »
    Islamification maybe

    Borg.
    Resistance is futile. If you do resist, your fellows will brand you a Racist. Islam isn't a sprint, it's a Marathon. Or a Mare-athon. Depending on your point of view.


  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,340 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty


    I think they would go for the jugular, and take out the Boards HQ first....


    ....that way none of us would have a clue what was going on


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone


    Beasty wrote: »
    I think they would go for the jugular, and take out the Boards HQ first....


    ....that way none of us would have a clue what was going on

    True dat. I wake up, check AH for The News (the real version) and then go about my day. I'd trust RTE less.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad


    the ferry to Holyhead or Le Harve... I think I said this before on this thread, Im sure someone else has at this stage.


  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,340 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty


    the ferry to Holyhead or Le Harve... I think I said this before on this thread, Im sure someone else has at this stage.
    It would need to be massive to seriously damage a ferry. They already have scanning devices at Holyhead checking incoming vehicles. In addition it's unlikely they would hurt a significant number of people. A vehicle in the centre of Dublin would cause much more injury and grab much bigger headlines.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4


    Maybe the Belfast, it's in the UK (wrongly but it is) somewhere like Stormont might be an easy but high profile target for them. Or places where theres not much security like border counties.

    Thats if they were to bother don't see it happening.


Advertisement