Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If Isis were to attack Ireland, what places would be target?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭VickieVexed1

If they're reading AH looking for ideas then they are even more unhinged than any of us have ever realised.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Think I have posted this before but anyway...

I was driving back from Cork to Dublin recently when I picked up a hitch-hiker who was obviously Muslim. He was very grateful I had stopped as it was pissing out and he was in a rush to get to the airport to fly to Syria. When we got to Dublin he said he would be eternally grateful and said as a thank you he would give me some advice "Do not go back to Cork" he said with a grave look on his face. "Why? Is there going to be an attack?" I asked. He looked at me again with the same look on his face and said...

"No, it's a ****ing $h1thole"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

Athlone- put it out of its misery at least...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

tommybrees wrote: »
    Every halting site in the country please

Considering what happened in Carrickmines, that post is even more unpleasant than the usual anti-traveller stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

They need to target Drumshanbo....sure there was a massacre there already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

Probably my ex wife's house (DM for details) cause she's always slagging off Allah and ISIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Get Rid of Carlow, Longford and Bray and we say nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

The boards servers so they don't get their hands on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭josip

Dennys

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭warpdrive

In all seriousness they could do serious damage in Dublin or Cork if they planned it the way they did the Paris attacks where they struck multiple areas at once. We're unprepared for anything like this. Anyone can walk into croke park or aviva with no security checks or anything so they'd be able to do what they planned to do in the stadium in Paris except successfully this time. Security checks in the three arena are very minimal so they could do terrible damage there since security guards aren't armed so they could just shoot any security guards in their way and then they're free to enter. Popular pubs and clubs like coppers. Other events that are on throughout the city on any given evening. And since our armed response units are so limited, what if they targeted events in multiple cities at once which they could do since Ireland is such a small country...

It actually sucks thinking about how vulnerable we really are and what makes it worse is the head in the sand mindset of "sure everyone loves the Irish, we'll be grand"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

warpdrive wrote: »

It actually sucks thinking about how vulnerable we really are and what makes it worse is the head in the sand mindset of "sure everyone loves the Irish, we'll be grand"

I think it's more that we can't stop doing what we do as that's what they want us to do, by changing anything we do they've already won.

There's still more risk in driving to work than getting caught in a terrorism attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

In all seriousness they could do serious damage in Dublin or Cork if they planned it the way they did the Paris attacks where they struck multiple areas at once. We're unprepared for anything like this. Anyone can walk into croke park or aviva with no security checks or anything so they'd be able to do what they planned to do in the stadium in Paris except successfully this time. Security checks in the three arena are very minimal so they could do terrible damage there since security guards aren't armed so they could just shoot any security guards in their way and then they're free to enter. Popular pubs and clubs like coppers. Other events that are on throughout the city on any given evening. And since our armed response units are so limited, what if they targeted events in multiple cities at once which they could do since Ireland is such a small country...

Sure if that's the case forget about it, we all just close our doors and never go outside again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Del2005 wrote: »
    There's still more risk in driving to work than getting caught in a terrorism attack.

So you're saying I shouldnt go to work in the morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Crash a plane into the spire. It would be our 9/11.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

RTE please :D (and maybe dail bar )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

Coppers with a bag of hand grenades.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I don't think the OP meant for this thread to be some kind of evil Santa's wishlist

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Jaysus lads are you all thick? It's clear the OP is one of them and is using us for intel gathering (god help her coz yizzar all thick). She even uses a very strong "Irish" username to throw us off the scent.

Smart yon Isis boyos.

But I agree the GAA would be a good place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

any stadium really during a big game. Any airport or port as well, they are pretty much not defended at all. A ferry even.

We havent been attacked because it suits ISIS to not attack. Were not paying them much attention, probable doing all sorts via Ireland and that would change with an attack. The UK, US and France are far more active against ISIS as is Germany and Spain for example so we should be ok for a while

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Geoffrey Dalton

Get Garth brooks to do a few gigs, round a few lads up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Longford....... The entire town of Longford. Nobody would miss it.

Edit;I'm being sarcastic of course, everyone would dearly miss Longford. Please isis don't destroy it!

Sure if that's the case forget about it, we all just close our doors and never go outside again.

That's not the attitude to have at all. We should just be more vocal about the government needing to have adequate responses to these sorts of possible scenarios. It's sad that we need to increase security measures but that's just how it is right now since we're well aware terrorist attacks within Europe are a very real possibility and Ireland could be considered an easy target.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

That's not the attitude to have at all. We should just be more vocal about the government needing to have adequate responses to these sorts of possible scenarios. It's sad that we need to increase security measures but that's just how it is right now since we're well aware terrorist attacks within Europe are a very real possibility and Ireland could be considered an easy target.

And what makes you think they go for easy targets? Easy target = less impact for their cause.

PARlance wrote: »
    And what makes you think they go for easy targets? Easy target = less impact for their cause.

They entered a concert hall and opened fire on hundreds of innocent people. I'm not quite sure what's more of an easy target than that. A creche, perhaps? Clearly they're okay with just trying to kill as many people as possible to make a statement. What a moronic post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Coppers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Geoffrey Dalton

The dole offices are a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

They entered a concert hall and opened fire on hundreds of innocent people. Clearly they're okay with just trying to kill as many people as possible to make a statement.

In Paris, the Capital city of France, one of the biggest cities in Europe.
    The French have been preparing / on guard / waiting for them for over a decade.

The town hall in Moate just wouldn't have the same appeal to them. But don't let me dampen the worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

On the one hand, no, I don't see a major and official attack being launched on an Irish target. On the other, blowing up something in a small, relatively defenseless, western country would abso-bloody-lutely get noticed. Dick move, chaps. And they do like their dick moves.

Still and all, if there was to be an attack here, it'd be a group of radical idiots that copy-cat, which could happen anywhere.

Crowd-source warfare. Hurrah.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Temple Bar on a Friday night - plenty of decadent infadels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement