Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FREE Netatmo with every €79 Gas Boiler Service

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Looking like the Netatmo offer is still going from what I can see....
    https://www.energia.ie/energy-services/free-netatmo-with-every-gas-boiler-service-%E2%82%AC79

Although, I am getting errors when I try and submit the form to get a callback.
    Think I'll try calling them myself tomorrow and see what I can find out.

Has anybody actually gone ahead with the Netatmo?
    Any feedback on it?

I have read the other thread before and considered various options; but I have a fairly simple one zone system, so I'm not sure the cost can be justified.
    I'm over-due a boiler service too, so seems like this would make sense for me

Got a call-back today, so can confirm Netatmo offer is still in place.
    Just trying to decide now if it's the right option for me.

I don't think we'll have budget for a full zoned system upgrade in the near future to make worth holding onto my grant entitlements.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Zilog wrote: »
    Just to give another option, Lidl have these on offer next week:
    Programmable Bluetooth radiator thermostat

If you already have TRVs on your radiators, these should be an easy fit - most TRVs have M30 size connections.
    I have several of last year Lidl thermostats (no bluetooth), they seem to work. If there's an app that allows these new versions to be configured without having to lie on the floor looking at a small LCD screen, that would be useful!
    For me it was a simple swop out with existing TRVs. Supplied with several adaptors, didn't need them.
    There's a QR code on the back.

Reviews of the Android app were poor 2.4
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eurotronic_technology_gmbh.europrog.app

http://www.eurotronic.org/ - drill down to find English manuals
    from Bluetooth Smart 4.0
    a Bluetooth low energy chip must be installed in your mobile phone
    only applies to Android OS 4.3
    applicable only for iOS: iOS 7

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

bk wrote: »

I'm extremely happy with my Inspired Home Automation wifi thermostat. It isn't fancy looking like Nest, etc. but works well as a basic wifi controllable thermostat and it only cost me €120 to buy and I installed it myself, so I'm not too worried about it becoming obsolete due to the relatively low price.

Firstly thanks for all the helpful advice on this thread.

How did you get the home automation for €120, the residential model seems to be £134 on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Ocditsme

Sorry anybody help on here.
    My heating system seem to have 9 zones plus hot water but ever since I've owned this house any individual zone heats up all the house plus water. Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Firstly thanks for all the helpful advice on this thread.

How did you get the home automation for €120, the residential model seems to be £134 on their website.

Ah, I bought it about 3 years ago, was cheaper back then and exchange rate was much better!

Ocditsme wrote: »
    Sorry anybody help on here.
    My heating system seem to have 9 zones plus hot water but ever since I've owned this house any individual zone heats up all the house plus water. Any ideas?

I'm completely unqualified to comment, but it sounds like even though you're system is showing 9 zones plus water, your house may only be plumbed as 1 zone. If the valves and individual controls aren't in place to act as multiple zones, then zoned controls would become somewhat meaningless.
    Maybe there's a more complex reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Ocditsme

DavyD_83 wrote:
    I'm completely unqualified to comment, but it sounds like even though you're system is showing 9 zones plus water, your house may only be plumbed as 1 zone. If the valves and individual controls aren't in place to act as multiple zones, then zoned controls would become somewhat meaningless. Maybe there's a more complex reason...

All my Rad valves have control cable at each. Its not really a problem just kinda bugging me.
    How much would it be to service a system .
    Ballpark figure??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

A boards user reached out to me via PM for some info on my Netatmo and I thought it worth posting my reply here also, for anyone else's benefit.

I'm not sure I'd go down the route of allowing an energy vendor to claim SEA credits on my behalf when they're only providing you with a smart thermostat.. that would be my starting point anyway.
    I bought direct from the manufacturer, I think it was 179 euro with free delivery.

My setup is a mess, as I bought a house last year and the previous owner hadn't really thought it out very well.
    The house has all living/ dining/ kitchen downstairs and three downstairs bedrooms all on one zone. Upstairs is a separate zone (hardly ever used) and water separate again.
    I didn't really care re water and upstairs zones as I have solar for water and the odd time I use upstairs I manually boost it.
    So if you have one zone, or only want to automate one zone it really is the perfect solution IMHO. I had to supplement it with programmable TRVs which cut my usage in half (bedrooms on only in evening and mornings, living rooms and kitchen on by day only).

The thermostat itself is simple to install. I replaced a wired one, took maybe 15 minutes. What I really like about it is it allows unlimited on/off periods, none of the others offer more than 3 as far as I know. I control it from the app but it can be boosted from the thermostat itself. It has an e-ink screen instead of LCD display so long battery life. There's really not much to setting up the software.
    Program the times you want it on and the temp each time, positioning of the thermostat is obviously important.
    After two weeks it learns how long your house takes to heat up/ cool down etc and it offers you the chance to let it automate your heating subject to the timing/ program/ temperatures you've defined.
    The difference here is that lets say you program heating for 19 degree at 5.30 PM.
    In dumb mode the boiler will switch on at 5.30 and keep firing until it hits 19 degrees within your predefined tolerance (or until your ON period ends). It will keep the house at that temp as long as you've specified.
    In smart mode, the thermostat will have figured out how long it takes to heat your house and factoring in outside temp etc it will fire up the boiler at whatever time it has calculated so that your house will hit 19 degrees at 5.30...

Which mode you want depends on your lifestyle I suppose, it offers a balance between economy and comfort.

The thermostat gives detailed stats, time on/ off etc, and a monthly report of hours of heating used, exceptions (boosts/ away mode etc) and a comparison of the performance of your house versus similar profile houses in your region.

It also offers integration with IFTTT, so you can log your usage to Google Drive, or get push notifications when the thermostat is manually boosted or the temperature is manually raised.

I think that covers all the basics.
    Any questions give me a shout, will help where I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Ocditsme wrote: »
    All my Rad valves have control cable at each. Its not really a problem just kinda bugging me.
    How much would it be to service a system .
    Ballpark figure??

Valves are always sticking just google unstick trv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

I bought direct from the manufacturer, I think it was 179 euro with free delivery.

sounds like a good system. what manufacturer did you choose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

d15ude wrote: »
    sounds like a good system. what manufacturer did you choose?

Netatmo

Thanks yllw.ldbttr for all of the advice.
    Based on this, the other thread and a little extra research I have decided to go with the Netatmo.

I'm badly overdue a boiler service; we moved in, and got new boiler about 3years ago now, never been serviced (I know, I know, still getting the hang of this homeowner thing :(), and have been considering a (remote) thermostat type system for a while. So this seems like an easy option to take care of both.

I understand the concerns about allowing Energia to claim the credits on my behalf, and although this does bother me, I think I'm going to go with it. Unfortunately, convenience is going to win out over conscience on this one.

At the moment I have other things going on in life, which mean if I go the self-install route it won't be in the next 6 months and I honestly don't know when it will be. Hoping I won't regret the choice down the line if a situation arises where I cannot claim for something more important because of this 'claim'.

Still considering the option of Programmable TRV's, which seem to make a lot of sense.
    But think I'll do it as a 2 step implementation and hold off on buying these until funds are a little less tight (Jan is not going well on this front so far)

Hopefully getting service and installation next week
    Thanks all for flagging the offer and the info so far.

I'll report back once I figure out how to use it and have some feedback to provide

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

DavyD_83 wrote: »

I'm badly overdue a boiler service; we moved in, and got new boiler about 3years ago now, never been serviced (I know, I know, still getting the hang of this homeowner thing :().

in fairness if you ask the lads on the plumbing thread they'll all say that a service that takes less than an hour isn't really a service and nothing more than visual check.

Advertisement