Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FREE Netatmo with every €79 Gas Boiler Service

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭NeverWaining

What exactly do you need for one of these?

Set up at home is an oil boiler and open fire in the sitting room. Water heated via immersion. Oil heating for the house is controlled via one mechanical time clock.

Would it work here?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Hmm..

The original link is now broken and they have a separate link now saying that the Netatmo costs €250!!:

https://www.energia.ie/energy-services/buy-a-netatmo-thermostat
    What exactly do you need for one of these?

Set up at home is an oil boiler and open fire in the sitting room. Water heated via immersion. Oil heating for the house is controlled via one mechanical time clock.

Would it work here?

Can do, the Netatmo would only control the oil heating by replacing the mechanical time clock.

A more advanced system, like the Inspired Home Automation system and the smartzone system could control both the heating and immersion. Though it might be worth getting quotes from a few installers for a more complicated system like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭postsnthing

bk wrote: »
    Hmm..

The original link is now broken and they have a separate link now saying that the Netatmo costs €250!!:

https://www.energia.ie/energy-services/buy-a-netatmo-thermostat

That's interesting ! I had requested a service ant the netatmo via the original link but haven't heard back as yet, maybe shouldn't expect to now.

In saying that I also haven't heard back from Smartzone either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

I just rang Airtricity, I am just out of contract with them

To stay they offered 20% off Electricity, 10% off gas and free Climote system

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Redgirl82 wrote: »
    I just rang Airtricity, I am just out of contract with them

To stay they offered 20% off Electricity, 10% off gas and free Climote system

Just off a chat session " i am afraid we dont provide climote system. I apologise for any inconvenience caused"

• Advertisement

mathie wrote: »
    Just off a chat session " i am afraid we dont provide climote system. I apologise for any inconvenience caused"

Off chat system with who? Airtricity?

Off chat system with who? Airtricity?

yes

yes

You are talking to wrong person then

I got one last year from them and I signed up this morning and they are supplying another one free with resigning

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Wheeker

That's interesting ! I had requested a service ant the netatmo via the original link but haven't heard back as yet, maybe shouldn't expect to now.

In saying that I also haven't heard back from Smartzone either...
    On the back of the OP I also registered for the Gas Boiler service from Energia (€79-reduced from €99), along with the "Free" Netatmo. I haven't heard back from them either. Naively I just thought it was a good deal, I hadn't realised there was a SEAI grant involved & that other installers/energy providers are offering the same sort of deal.

So having read the thread am I right in thinking that this (up to) €600 SEAI Grant is not available to individuals, only to installers/energy providers (on your behalf)?
    ted1 wrote: »
    Not quite like that, 600 will go to splitting zones etc. In my opinion the smart zone doesn't look that good.

The site is light on information. Doesn't seem to look st occupancy levels, external temp sensors etc
    ted1 wrote: »
    Any system will be covered by grants Nest, Hive, Climote, tado. The expense is the plumbing the unit pricing is all more or less on par
    From what I have seen in my investigations here are essentially two types of smart thermostat. One controls the heating in the entire house and the other lets you adjust temperature in different zones. Netatmo, Climote, Nest, Hive and Tado fall into the former category and systems such as Heat Genius and Honeywell, Smartzone fall into the latter.

I'm confused: does the grant only cover the cost of the device or does it also include the cost of pipework/valve modification to create zones? So to get the best bang-for-your-buck out of the one-time SEAI grant should you get a Zoned Control with Zoning plumbing costs? Are other companies/providers offering this for free (up to €600)? TBH I'm not even sure if my house would be suitable for zoning. By opting for a (free) Netatmo am I just getting a c.€250 one-zone device & losing out on another €350 of available grant? Or is zoning going to cost way more than €350?
    Not for combi boilers I think.
    Why notconfused.png I have a Combi boiler & on the Netatmo compatibility tool I had to select my (combi) boiler model- came back as compatible. Am I missing something?

You are talking to wrong person then

I got one last year from them and I signed up this morning and they are supplying another one free with resigning

2nd attempt at this site ...

https://www.sseairtricity.com/ie/home/products/electricity-and-gas

Hi how can I help you?
    Hi do you have Climote for controlling heating?
    No we do not carry this function as of yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hi how can I help you?

https://www.sseairtricity.com/ie/home/sse-airtricity-energy-services/climote/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Wheeker wrote: »

So having read the thread am I right in thinking that this (up to) €600 SEAI Grant is not available to individuals, only to installers/energy providers (on your behalf)?

Nope - anyone that qualifies can get the grant - you just need to ensure its done through a registered installer. You pay the installer and then get refunded by grant or some installers will do all the paper work for you and get the grant directly

Wheeker wrote: »
    I'm confused: does the grant only cover the cost of the device or does it also include the cost of pipework/valve modification to create zones? So to get the best bang-for-your-buck out of the one-time SEAI grant should you get a Zoned Control with Zoning plumbing costs? Are other companies/providers offering this for free (up to €600)? TBH I'm not even sure if my house would be suitable for zoning. By opting for a (free) Netatmo am I just getting a c.€250 one-zone device & losing out on another €350 of available grant? Or is zoning going to cost way more than €350?
    Thats why I believe the Smartzone system is a better deal. They will come to your house and assess if its suitable for a full install of zoned heating and separate water control. The Netatmo, Climote, Nest, Hive and Tado all seem to be just one zone (you can add additional units at extra cost) but Smartzone and Heat Genius etc do zones by default so you are getting better bang for your (free grant!) buck

Hi how can I help you?

Would you not ring them?????

I rang this morning and resigned, 12 month contract with 20% off Elec and 10% off gas, free Climote system to be installed 14 days after I have signed up to new contract

I did ring last night to new sign up number and they even told me that to resign up I could get a free Climote.....

Quick search and they where offering Climote last year as well

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93119821

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

They may not be offering it to new customers. Might be only for existing customers and offered by customer loyalty as a retention tool ?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭postsnthing

I realise this is expired sorry for dragging it up again.

I wanted to see if anyone had gone ahead with any of the options. I am still trying to decide and have to get back to energia one way or another. I am unsure that this is the best use of my grant.

I contacted smartzone on the phone as zero reply to 2 separate web form submissions. Got very little info from them on the system and even less commitment on when a survey or possible installation could take place (in Dublin) also be aware their contact number is some sort of premium rate cost me about Euro 4 for to be pretty much fobbed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Wheeker

I wanted to see if anyone had gone ahead with any of the options. I am still trying to decide and have to get back to energia one way or another. I am unsure that this is the best use of my grant.

I contacted smartzone on the phone as zero reply to 2 separate web form submissions. Got very little info from them on the system and even less commitment on when a survey or possible installation could take place (in Dublin) also be aware their contact number is some sort of premium rate cost me about Euro 4 for to be pretty much fobbed off.

Same here- registered with Energia, they've called me a couple of times & are due to callback today to schedule the service & installation. Having done (some) reading of the links in this thread, I'm now not convinced the Netatmo will give me the best functionality or the best bang-for-my-grant-buck. Any advice out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

Yep, emailed them twice myself and heard nothing back..

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭fulhamfan

There is an older, longer very detailed post about all the various options. I have Tado and am happy out but I'm strictly one zone and as others said, it is expensive to add units to create more zones. They have updated the controller but I think it's too expensive to an early adopter. Sorry I didn't rent rather than buy and recommend that if going for Tado that you consider rent as opposed to buying given rate of progress with these devices. All the best

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Hi - did anyone here go ahead with the smartzone system. I've a guy coming tomorrow to survey the house for it but I'm concerned about what happens if the wifi goes down or if smartzone go bust.

If they did go bust and the system stopped working - would it be straightforward to fit a new wireless control on the boiler to control the boiler and valves?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

fulhamfan wrote: »
    There is an older, longer very detailed post about all the various options. I have Tado and am happy out but I'm strictly one zone and as others said, it is expensive to add units to create more zones. They have updated the controller but I think it's too expensive to an early adopter. Sorry I didn't rent rather than buy and recommend that if going for Tado that you consider rent as opposed to buying given rate of progress with these devices. All the best

I think there are lots of good solutions out there for people with relatively simple, single zone setups. But I have to agree that there aren't any good multi-zone solutions available in the Irish market yet (some interesting options have been announced in the US).

I'm extremely happy with my Inspired Home Automation wifi thermostat. It isn't fancy looking like Nest, etc. but works well as a basic wifi controllable thermostat and it only cost me €120 to buy and I installed it myself, so I'm not too worried about it becoming obsolete due to the relatively low price.

But then my setup is a relatively simple single zone setup and that will never need to change as it is an apartment.
    okedoke wrote: »
    Hi - did anyone here go ahead with the smartzone system. I've a guy coming tomorrow to survey the house for it but I'm concerned about what happens if the wifi goes down or if smartzone go bust.

If they did go bust and the system stopped working - would it be straightforward to fit a new wireless control on the boiler to control the boiler and valves?

Well it would be relatively straight forward, but likely relatively costly as obviously you would need to buy a new system and I think you would need to get a qualified heating engineer to install it.

I installed my own wifi thermostat, but that was a simpler setup, just directly replacing the old thermostat inside the apartment and involved no electrical work. I wouldn't be comfortable DIYing the electrical controls of a boiler. I'd leave that to a qualified person.

Let us know how it goes with Smartzone

Well it would be relatively straight forward, but likely relatively costly as obviously you would need to buy a new system and I think you would need to get a qualified heating engineer to install it.

I installed my own wifi thermostat, but that was a simpler setup, just directly replacing the old thermostat inside the apartment and involved no electrical work. I wouldn't be comfortable DIYing the electrical controls of a boiler. I'd leave that to a qualified person.

Let us know how it goes with Smartzone[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I will.

I know nothing about this area, so this may make no sense. It would be more than simply replacing the smartzone base station with something like you have (wifi thermostat)?

okedoke wrote: »
    Thanks, I will.

I know nothing about this area, so this may make no sense. It would be more than simply replacing the smartzone base station with something like you have (wifi thermostat)?

I doubt it, I assume most of these use a proprietary protocol * for the base station to talk to the wifi thermostat the boiler control system.

* They maybe using a wireless standard like wifi or zigbee, but they would normally be talking their own proprietary "language" over the wireless interface. I don't think their is any "standard" for these sort of systems unfortunately and I don't think you can mix and match.

Thanks BK - very useful info.

Interesting, just came across this. Seems a bit expensive, but a company doing wifi controlled heating with support for multizones using radio controlled TRV's on each rad:

http://www.radeco.ie/

Another possible option for people looking for multizone systems. The advantage over smartzone is that it has physical controls, so youcan still control it if wifi, etc. goes down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

bk wrote: »
    Interesting, just came across this. Seems a bit expensive, but a company doing wifi controlled heating with support for multizones using radio controlled TRV's on each rad:

http://www.radeco.ie/

Another possible option for people looking for multizone systems. The advantage over smartzone is that it has physical controls, so youcan still control it if wifi, etc. goes down.

TRV actuators have to be wired in! the last thing my house needs is another spaghetti of wires. You can get wireless ones for a less with a nice display and 2AA batteries last 1-2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

I'm currently locked into a contract with Airtricity.

Any ideas how much Climote would cost to install?

Or any ideas how I might get it for free, since I am already locked into a contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Hi,

Was thinking of switching from Bord Gais and now see Electric Ireland promo for free Climote.

My system is 3 zone system (upstairs, downstairs and hot water) so Climote looks perfect, but like other concerns i too would like a easy physical way to control the heating - say for my Mother-in-law who minds the kids.

Does Climote allow this?

Also Bord Gais does HIVE system..anyone using this for advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

Just to give another option, Lidl have these on offer next week:
    Programmable Bluetooth radiator thermostat

If you already have TRVs on your radiators, these should be an easy fit - most TRVs have M30 size connections.
    I have several of last year Lidl thermostats (no bluetooth), they seem to work. If there's an app that allows these new versions to be configured without having to lie on the floor looking at a small LCD screen, that would be useful!
    For me it was a simple swop out with existing TRVs. Supplied with several adaptors, didn't need them.

• Advertisement

TRV actuators have to be wired in! the last thing my house needs is another spaghetti of wires. You can get wireless ones for a less with a nice display and 2AA batteries last 1-2 years.

Ah... I didn't notice that! You are correct, wireless would be a requirement.

Sigh, so the search for a good multizone system continues!

Advertisement