Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus not picking up passengers despite having plenty of room

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Union Mafia Bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,001 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

coolbeans wrote: »
    Another reason to break up the dinosaur that is DB.

another non reason out of the many non reasons you mean. how would this breaking up work? what would it achieve? specially as short workings would still happen for operational and other reasons whoever ran the service.
    thomasj wrote: »
    Speaking of 145....

I went up to heuston stop at 13:59 to which both the 145 and 747 pulled out up to the lights. Both my phone and the rtpi sign said 13:59

I went up to them at the lights. Neither would let me on.
    are dublin bus drivers allowed to and obligated to let you on at the lights, or do those who do it just take the risk out of good will? if the later then you can't expect to be entitled to be let on at the lights surely?
    i agree its annoying though and its nice when a driver lets you on outside the stop but i wouldn't expect that it should happen
    whats "ja unions" got to do with this?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,065 ✭✭✭✭L1011

thomasj wrote: »
    Speaking of 145....

I went up to heuston stop at 13:59 to which both the 145 and 747 pulled out up to the lights. Both my phone and the rtpi sign said 13:59

I went up to them at the lights. Neither would let me on.

Expect to be told everyones clock bar the drivers is wrong if you complain

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Jbubs

It can sometimes be a case of a bus being way behind schedule (as is possible with yesterday's weather), and getting orders to do no pick-ups beyond a certain point to make up the time.

Bus running behind schedule means passengers have been waiting longer so I don't agree that the best solution is to not stop for them, sure then they have to wait on the next one.

I seen this happen before. I was on the 75 and it wasn't stopping at any stops. But eventually it was stopped at the lights and another 75 caught right up. So my 75 obviously wasn't stopping because he knew there was another right behind.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I sometimes use the 41x of which there are three leaving UCD for Swords in the evening at 5/5:15 and 5:30

The last three times I have been heading to the bus stop on Leeson Street at five to five to get the five o'clock (about five past five) I've been passed by it on Leeson Street before it's even scheduled to leave UCD. It's maddening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Kai123

I saw this happen in town awhile ago on O'Connell Street. Two women with shopping were pleading to be let on but the bus driver just ignored them. I tapped on the door but was ignored. Before I could go around to the other side, the bus driver gritted his teeth at me and drove off.

Bus Drivers in Dublin are very peculiar, very militant and most have no interest in the service they provide. I think they take a lot of the friction from politicians as public opinion, so are fairly aggressive towards commuters. Not all of them are like this but its a common theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Jbubs

I get the 49 home from work. I work in the ifsc and get the bus from the terminus at pearse Street. Heavily pregnant last summer rushing for my bus as normal, got to the corner only to see the bus leave. Checked the time and the bus had left 5 minutes early. 2 inspectors happen to be nearby and I said it to them. Just said that I wouldn't expect the bus to wait for me however if the driver had just left on time as per the schedule then I would have made it. The were very nice about it in fairness. The 49 leave the terminus early around 50% of the time.

Few weeks ago waiting on 49 and 2 didn't show up, so rang the complaints number from the website while I was at the bus stop. A girl gave some rubbish excuses and said the next 49 was 6 minutes away. Never showed up. Got a phone call from someone from Dublin bus a few days later and they said that the reason for the noshows could have been due to the Ireland euro qualifier football match. He was fairly stumped when I reminded him that the match was in Bosnia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Or the driver really, really needs a toilet break? and also isnt allowed to stop if he is exceeding his driving hours which is illegal?

people always seem to think the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭P0lygon Wind0w

I've tweeted Dublin Bus a good few times about busses not turning up, or long waits at Donnybrook. They reply within a few minutes, which at the very least makes me feel better and I can stop fuming about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I've tweeted Dublin Bus a good few times about busses not turning up, or long waits at Donnybrook. They reply within a few minutes, which at the very least makes me feel better and I can stop fuming about it.

They reply with the stock email address to forward your complaint to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Skatedude wrote: »
    Or the driver really, really needs a toilet break? and also isnt allowed to stop if he is exceeding his driving hours which is illegal?

people always seem to think the worst.

They must have very small bladders if that's the case every time it happens. It's not exactly a rare occurrence.

If they are exceeding their driving hours that often, then the whole network is badly planned. Not the drivers' fault, but it would certainly be Dublin Bus' fault.

I must say that with all the trouble I had with my daily bus commute, I found that the majority of the drivers on my route were actually lovely. It's not usually their fault that the service is run so poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kyleboy

Kai123 wrote: »
    I saw this happen in town awhile ago on O'Connell Street. Two women with shopping were pleading to be let on but the bus driver just ignored them. I tapped on the door but was ignored. Before I could go around to the other side, the bus driver gritted his teeth at me and drove off.

Bus Drivers in Dublin are very peculiar, very militant and most have no interest in the service they provide. I think they take a lot of the friction from politicians as public opinion, so are fairly aggressive towards commuters. Not all of them are like this but its a common theme.

Driver's are not allowed to open doors once they have closed the doors and started there manoeuvre away from the bus stop, it can lead to all kinds of problems for the driver if he is seen to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Kai123

Kyleboy wrote: »
    Driver's are not allowed to open doors once they have closed the doors and started there manoeuvre away from the bus stop, it can lead to all kinds of problems for the driver if he is seen to do it.

He was stationary for about a minute. The women were trying to get his attention and then others before I tried getting his attention. If for whatever reason something happened before that might justify him not opening the doors, his behavior was pretty bad. It was two Asian women and a old lady with shopping that were left and the bus was not even half full.

He was stationary for about a minute. The women were trying to get his attention and then others before I tried getting his attention. If for whatever reason something happened before that might justify him not opening the doors, his behavior was pretty bad. It was two Asian women and a old lady with shopping that were left and the bus was not even half full.
    was he at or away from the bus stop? if away from the bus stop he is not allowed to let you on.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kyleboy

I understand what you are saying buddy but maybe he indicated to move out and was waiting for his opportunity to move out?.That's the way we have been told to operate, i am not saying you aren't right by the way, i am just trying to give a drivers perspective on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,593 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Before people start castigating drivers unnecessarily, I think that they need to understand that once a driver closes the doors at a bus stop, he is then focussed on the road and traffic around him, and is under strict instruction not to open the doors again until the next stop.

That's company policy - now some drivers may decide to open the doors, but to start attacking drivers for following company rules that are there for safety (and insurance) reasons is really scraping the barrel a bit.

It may seem harsh - but that is the rule - and those drivers who don't reopen the doors are merely abiding by the company rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭VG31

I'm interested to know if anyone has seen someone open the doors themselves with the exterior button when a driver would not open them.

lxflyer wrote: »
    It may seem harsh - but that is the rule - and those drivers who don't reopen the doors are merely abiding by the company rules.

It's my understanding that if the bus has not pulled out from the stop the driver can reopen the doors.

I know the company policy but I have seen many times where drivers have been deliberately nasty about it. Once for example, an elderly woman was running for the bus (from the front in plain view of the driver) and was almost there and the driver shut the doors and drove off.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Infraction for trolling -- please read the charter before posting again.

VG31 wrote: »
    I'm interested to know if anyone has seen someone open the doors themselves with the exterior button when a driver would not open them.

i haven't and i would hope that if they did try the book would be thrown at them
    It's my understanding that if the bus has not pulled out from the stop the driver can reopen the doors.

possibly. however if his eyes are on the road ready to pull out then chances are he won't see someone
    I know the company policy but I have seen many times where drivers have been deliberately nasty about it. Once for example, an elderly woman was running for the bus (from the front in plain view of the driver) and was almost there and the driver shut the doors and drove off.

maybe he didn't see her

i haven't and i would hope that if they did try the book would be thrown at them

I highly doubt that considering DB can't even deal with their own drivers' behaviour.
    maybe he didn't see her

Not a chance, he would have to be blind not to see her. There was a slight smirk on his face as well.

• Advertisement

Once the driver closes the doors, he is focussing on the road - that's the bottom line - and trying to suggest otherwise is frankly wrong. If a driver chooses to open them again, that's up to them, but they are under no obligation to. The company will support them in that situation if they refuse to open them.

Suggesting that someone endanger themselves and everyone on the bus by opening the doors by using an emergency door release is frankly irresponsible.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Suggesting that someone endanger themselves and everyone on the bus by opening the doors by using an emergency door release is frankly irresponsible.

Endangering themselves possibly, others on the bus very unlikely.
    And I wasn't suggesting that people do it, I was merely wondering if anyone had ever seen someone doing it as I heard of it happening before.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭P0lygon Wind0w

They reply with the stock email address to forward your complaint to

Can't say that's been my experience. But I haven't been 'complaining' as such. More of a ME:'Oi - what's going on here' DB:'This is what's going on' ME:'Ah, I see'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Stheno wrote: »
    I sometimes use the 41x e been passed by it on Leeson Street before it's even scheduled to leave UCD. It's of which there are three leaving UCD for Swords in the evening at 5/5:15 and 5:30

The last three times I have been heading to the bus stop on Leeson Street at five to five to get the five o'clock (about five past five) I'vmaddening.

Yesterday morning, Friday morning, I looked at the Timetable in O'Connell Street and it showed a 747 Bus due in 19 minutes. It was 4.50 AM. Since I was just outside MacDonalds, I nipped in for a tea and some brekkie. I then sat down at the bar just inside the front window. Ate my stuff + drank my tea.
    Watched for a 747 coming. None passed. So after about 10 minutes I went outside again to the 747 bus stop........Only now the sign said the next 747 was in 24 minutes.
    I ended up taking the AirCoach, beside where Dr Quirky's entertainment centre is.

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Yesterday morning, Friday morning, I looked at the Timetable in O'Connell Street and it showed a 747 Bus due in 19 minutes. It was 4.50 AM. Since I was just outside MacDonalds, I nipped in for a tea and some brekkie. I then sat down at the bar just inside the front window. Ate my stuff + drank my tea.
    Watched for a 747 coming. None passed. So after about 10 minutes I went outside again to the 747 bus stop........Only now the sign said the next 747 was in 24 minutes.
    I ended up taking the AirCoach, beside where Dr Quirky's entertainment centre is.

Didn't you know? Waiting for a bus in Dublin makes time roll backwards. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭dublinstevie

5rtytry56 wrote:
    Yesterday morning, Friday morning, I looked at the Timetable in O'Connell Street and it showed a 747 Bus due in 19 minutes. It was 4.50 AM. Since I was just outside MacDonalds, I nipped in for a tea and some brekkie. I then sat down at the bar just inside the front window. Ate my stuff + drank my tea. Watched for a 747 coming. None passed. So after about 10 minutes I went outside again to the 747 bus stop........Only now the sign said the next 747 was in 24 minutes. I ended up taking the AirCoach, beside where Dr Quirky's entertainment centre is.

Do you want a fkn medal like,id say the 747 passed while you were stuffing your face in mc donalds

5rtytry56 wrote: »

Bearing in mind that the system reads from the schedule until it switches to reading from the bus once the driver has logged on for the particular departure, I would suggest what happened is:

When you looked initially at the RTPI sign, it was reading from the schedule for the 05:00 departure, but for whatever reason the bus was late leaving Heuston, and as a result disappeared from the display. You were then seeing the schedule for the 05:15 departure.

It's quite possible it re-appeared a few minutes later once the first bus actually arrived at Heuston and departed on its journey.

Understandably frustrating however.

Do you want a fkn medal like,id say the 747 passed while you were stuffing your face in mc donalds

And then you wonder why people complain about the attitude of Dublin Bus drivers. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭dublinstevie

And then you wonder why people complain about the attitude of Dublin Bus drivers.

Who is a bus driver????

• Advertisement

Who is a bus driver????

You, unless you've changed jobs or were lying.

Advertisement