Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Fight Night: Namajunas vs. VanZant

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

VanZant via KO/TKO
    Can't believe Sage's salary with only 1 previous UFC fight. This will piss off plenty of fighters
    http://www.mmamad.com/2015/12/14/ufc-fight-night-80-fighter-salaries-sage-northcutt-tops-fighter-payouts/

Sterling having a chat about it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Namajunas via Decision
    Sterling having a chat about it right now.

I really hope he drags this out aslong as he can, it's a load of bollox, not only for him but for alot of fighters. 40/40 for Sage is ridulous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

VanZant via KO/TKO
    ASOT wrote: »
    I really hope he drags this out aslong as he can, it's a load of bollox, not only for him but for alot of fighters. 40/40 for Sage is ridulous.

Sterling only got 28, total and spare change from reebok. He's a genuine title contender and he's being treated like he's begging for spare change by the promotion.

A year ago he could have gone down the Schaub route and found a sponsor to cover the shortcomings in his earnings but now the Reebok deal kills that possibility. It's a really **** place for fighters to be right now.

Namajunas via Decision
    Sterling only got 28, total and spare change from reebok. He's a genuine title contender and he's being treated like he's begging for spare change by the promotion.

A year ago he could have gone down the Schaub route and found a sponsor to cover the shortcomings in his earnings but now the Reebok deal kills that possibility. It's a really **** place for fighters to be right now.

I know it's shocking, and being on the pre lims of a card like that it just gets worse for him, didn't even get a bonus again that's twice now he's deserved one but not got one imo. Seems like a really nice guy aswell always happy to have a yap on twitter. It just seems like a slap in the face to most of the roster giving sage that much money. Will be watching twitter I'm sure a fair few won't be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Namajunas via Decision
    It'll be interesting to see what money Sterling commands as a free agent. He's made it pretty much clear that he'll be off unless the UFC match or better what he can get elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Namajunas via Decision
    Paully D wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see what money Sterling commands as a free agent. He's made it pretty much clear that he'll be off unless the UFC match or better what he can get elsewhere.

There's some good fights there for him in bellator and especially with bibiano in one fc he touched about that on the mma hour. These are pro athletes they should get paid like them in my opinion, they entertain us with hard if not the hardest sport in the world, it just seems unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,188 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Namajunas via Decision
    Can't believe Sage's salary with only 1 previous UFC fight. This will piss off plenty of fighters
    http://www.mmamad.com/2015/12/14/ufc-fight-night-80-fighter-salaries-sage-northcutt-tops-fighter-payouts/
    One of hand it's ridiculous, on the other hand, the fact that fans are scramble for details is ironically the reason he is getting the 40/40k.

For example, I know that Sage's dad was a pro bodybuilder, that he has a sister who competes in AMMA. I know what he's done martial arts all his life, grew up in Texas and appeared in a Wolverine claws commercial.
    I've not know any of this stuff about Sterling. That's not Sterling's fault, nor it is the UFC's. All they did was show Sage on a Youtube video, the fans did the rest.

I agree with Darced. Sage wasn't impressive in his win. He has lots of potential as he is only 19, but that performance was mediocre against the bottom rung in the division.

Mellor wrote: »
    One of hand it's ridiculous, on the other hand, the fact that fans are scramble for details is ironically the reason he is getting the 40/40k.

For example, I know that Sage's dad was a pro bodybuilder, that he has a sister who competes in AMMA. I know what he's done martial arts all his life, grew up in Texas and appeared in a Wolverine claws commercial.
    I've not know any of this stuff about Sterling. That's not Sterling's fault, nor it is the UFC's. All they did was show Sage on a Youtube video, the fans did the rest.

I agree with Darced. Sage wasn't impressive in his win. He has lots of potential as he is only 19, but that performance was mediocre against the bottom rung in the division.

Hurt my head to read that but I think I got the gist. UFC are majorly to blame as they are clearly promoting this kid to the hilt, even before he signed, where they could invest some time and promotion to better, more established, more liked fighters. Look at the co-main, no promotion at all during the event build-up.
    I don't think the majority of fans are scrambling for any details, everything you said could be learned from the embeddeds which most MMA fans of substance will come across. In fact Sage was booed during his post-fight speech for the brown-nosing promotion of fightpass etc but i'm not sure that came across over video.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Mellor wrote: »

You know all those details because the UFC marketing juggernaut is behind Sage. Its as simple as that. Sterling gets buried on the prelims intentionally and passed over for a bonus because he thinks hes worth more than 14/14k.

The guy is marketable as hell, hes a young top 5 fighter who finishes legit opponents and has plenty of personality. UFC are intentionally burying him in the hope he takes a low ball offer.

Advertisement