Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26/N26 Mastercard/Account now for Irish Residents

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

user1842 wrote: »
    Yup both banks need to offer the service for it to work (both sender and receiver).

Once this is fully rolled out in the euro area it will be a great new service (although 20 years late :))

And if banks don’t all charge for it! (although I suspect competition from tech companies offering free/cheap transfers will probably limit the scope for charging)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

Bob24 wrote: »
    And if banks don’t all charge for it! (although I suspect competition from tech companies offering free/cheap transfers will probably limit the scope for charging)

Instant payment are designed to be high volume, low cost consumer payments. It is the main reason why the infrastructures processing them charge such low fees. The ECB TIPS system only charges 0.02c (not 2c but 0.2 of a cent) to process each instant payment.

No real excuse for banks to charge for them.

Instant payment are designed to be high volume, low cost consumer payments. It is the main reason why the infrastructures processing them charge such low fees. The ECB TIPS system only charges 0.02c (not 2c but 0.2 of a cent) to process each instant payment.

No real excuse for banks to charge for them.

Yet out of the 2 banks discussed in this thread jester77‘s is charging for them and mine is charging if the amount is over 300 euros.

I agree it should be free, but I don’t think banks care about having excuses. And if they need excuses they could say their business model is being destroyed by low/negative interest rates (*), and they need to find other ways to make money.

I think it is the existence of convincing alternative options more than the underlying cost which determine whether banks are charging for it.

(*) which btw is true, the longer this goes on (and I think it will go on) the more likely we we are to see many bankrupt banks, funds, and insurance companies.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Yes we all know on this thread that the CCPC is pretty much useless, but I guess in a way it is not a bad thing to have this document on the CBI's website. If any organisation insists they don't have to accept a non Irish IBAN that is an authoritative source we can refer them to.

• Advertisement

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yes we all know on this thread that the CCPC is pretty much useless, but I guess in a way it is not a bad thing to have this document on the CBI's website. If any organisation insists they don't have to accept a non Irish IBAN that is an authoritative source we can refer them to.

Also keep an eye on www.erpb.eu

This group has a recommendation to monitor IBAN discrimination in Europe and the EU Commission updates the status of the recommendation every 6 months. Next update is the end of November.

Keep an eye out for the document; follow up on past recommendations, ERPB/2014/rec3:

The below was for the June 2019 meeting of the ERPB:

https://www.ecb.europa.eu/paym/groups/erpb/shared/pdf/11th-ERPB-meeting/Follow_-_up_on_past_recommendations.pdf?98b0ccc55ab92a6ff6ba86b431bb4d8b

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

How long does a new card take to arrive does anybody know? It says ~2 weeks on the site, or pay €19 for 2 day delivery.
    Surely it's not the guts of two weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

A week is usual enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Suckit wrote: »
    How long does a new card take to arrive does anybody know? It says ~2 weeks on the site, or pay €19 for 2 day delivery.
    Surely it's not the guts of two weeks?

Two or three days when they first launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

ED E wrote: »
    Two or three days when they first launched.
    I ordered it last night, so will find out. Hopefully sooner than later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

hmm, this is weird, instant payments are coming only for receiving, but not sending: https://n26.com/en-eu/blog/sepa-instant-credit-transfer-incoming-launch-announcement

More info here: https://n26.com/en-eu/instant-payments
    N26 wrote:

Can I send an outgoing SEPA Instant Credit Transfer?

No. Currently, your N26 bank account only lets you receive incoming instant payments with SEPA Instant Credit Transfer. However, you can use MoneyBeam to send outgoing payments to other N26 customers listed in your app. More information about when outgoing SEPA Instant Credit Transfer payments will be available to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

jester77 wrote: »
    hmm, this is weird, instant payments are coming only for receiving, but not sending: https://n26.com/en-eu/blog/sepa-instant-credit-transfer-incoming-launch-announcement

More info here: https://n26.com/en-eu/instant-payments

And weirdly with transferwise they send using instant sepa but don't receive it

jester77 wrote: »

Half-baked implementation indeed ... not sure what went through their mind here (the technical side of things can’t be that hard, especially since they have the receiving part in place; wondering if there is a cost/marketing reason behind it).

Link on longer works. Maybe they heard you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I'm trying to sign up to N26 app but it says 'device not compatible'.
    N26 say Android 6.0 or above
    My device is Android 8.1 Oreo

Help!

zell12 wrote: »
    I'm trying to sign up to N26 app but it says 'device not compatible'.
    N26 say Android 6.0 or above
    My device is Android 8.1 Oreo

Help!

Is your phone rooted?

Is your phone rooted?
    It was locked to a network, now unlocked

It was locked to a network, now unlocked

How was it unlocked, by the network provider or some other means?

How was it unlocked, by the network provider or some other means?
    a code from ebay!

a code from ebay!

How was the code entered?

• Advertisement

How was the code entered?
    Manually by myself, can't remember exactly, it was over a year ago.
    I figured there was an obvious answer why I can't get the app

Manually by myself, can't remember exactly, it was over a year ago.
    I figured there was an obvious answer why I can't get the app

You need to check if your phone is rooted or not. Install a root checker app from the play store.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sorry if covered but is there anyway to lodge cash to N26 in Ireland? Want to close my BOI account but would still need to lodge cash from time to time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Sorry if covered but is there anyway to lodge cash to N26 in Ireland? Want to close my BOI account but would still need to lodge cash from time to time
    Nope. There is no way to lodge cash to N26.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Nope. There is no way to lodge cash to N26.

There is a way via money-gram or western union but it's not the cheapest.

Your local office will tell you the price, depending on the office it can cost from 1.99€ but some offices are more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ah pity that, I was hoping to only hold an N26 account without the need for a conventional one but I need to logde cash from time to time. Getting annoyed with all their various charges, hopefully N26 set up a facility for cash lodgements at some point, I believe they do it via shops in Germany and Austria

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Lodge cash in to a Credit Union account and then transfer it to N26.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

A free ebs moneymanager account should allow you to do? that It is what I do to transfer cash to my KBC account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Lodge cash in to a Credit Union account and then transfer it to N26.

Beat me to it, easiest option I find

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Beat me to it, easiest option I find

Probably also the sanest option. CUs have come a long way .. a lot even offer online access.

/M

Advertisement