Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IEC 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Rhea Rose

Pyro7046 wrote: »
    In the same boat, don't think i'll be booking a return ticket. If you're really worried maybe book one to return around christmas, if you're planning to come back for it or you could buy a flexi ticket although they're pretty expensive.

As far as I know you just need to have the 2,500 to keep them happy at the border.

Thanks a mil, IEC actually just emailed me back to say that I just need proof of funds to buy a return ticket. Happy days.

I was so lucky with this. I got an invite in Feb and couldn't accept it at the time, so went back into the pool, then got another invite a few weeks ago and received my entry letter the very next day! It's been so chaotic, but that's the flight booked now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

You don't have the visa/permit yet, the permit is issued at the border. What you have is a letter that allows you to get the permit at the border.

Yeah that much i gathered. so i could essentially still make it all the way over an be turned away? I'm worrying now have i applied for the wrong thing, is what i have received different from the IEC or is the work permit the same thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

Mate of mines backed out coming with me, just out of interest how many people here are planning on going alone? I'm having a hard time deciding myself

I'll be flying solo to Vancouver, but i know some people over there. Went at xmas for some snowboarding and to suss the place out and I can't wait to get back over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Yeah that much i gathered. so i could essentially still make it all the way over an be turned away? I'm worrying now have i applied for the wrong thing, is what i have received different from the IEC or is the work permit the same thing?

It's a possibility, especially if you don't have proof of funds etc..

You have applied for the right thing, the end result of IEC application is a 2 year open work permit.

• Advertisement

It's a possibility, especially if you don't have proof of funds etc..

You have applied for the right thing, the end result of IEC application is a 2 year open work permit.

Ah ok so that's grand then, ill defo have more than enough cash, should have about 6Gs euro heading over. Is that the only thing that they would really turn you away for?

Ah ok so that's grand then, ill defo have more than enough cash, should have about 6Gs euro heading over. Is that the only thing that they would really turn you away for?

You need to have proof of insurance, proof of funds, the letter of invitation and a passport that's valid for the full two years (if you don't have that much validity on your passport, then the permit will be granted until the expiry date of your passport).

Provided you have those, there will be no issues.

You need to have proof of insurance, proof of funds, the letter of invitation and a passport that's valid for the full two years (if you don't have that much validity on your passport, then the permit will be granted until the expiry date of your passport).

Provided you have those, there will be no issues.

Thank you, that's great advice! So travel insurance, money in the bank, the letter and my passport.

My passport expires in Feb 2018 so will i not be allowed apply for a new one from within Canada? Will they make me leave to renew it?

Thank you, that's great advice! So travel insurance, money in the bank, the letter and my passport.

My passport expires in Feb 2018 so will i not be allowed apply for a new one from within Canada? Will they make me leave to renew it?

If your passport expires in Feb 2018, at the airport your permit will only be granted until then. If you get a new passport after this, you can apply to extend the validity of the permit up to the original 2 years. I have never done this so not sure of the process and I'm pretty sure it costs money (and takes time) to have it extended.

You may be better off getting a new passport now.

If your passport expires in Feb 2018, at the airport your permit will only be granted until then. If you get a new passport after this, you can apply to extend the validity of the permit up to the original 2 years. I have never done this so not sure of the process and I'm pretty sure it costs money (and takes time) to have it extended.

You may be better off getting a new passport now.

Ok good idea, ill look into that. didnt know you could renew your passport before its out dated. Also the passport number and details wont be the same as they were on the application??

• Advertisement

Ok good idea, ill look into that. didnt know you could renew your passport before its out dated. Also the passport number and details wont be the same as they were on the application??

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=861&top=25

Thanks, that's all great information. You're very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Are any of you guys going over without skilled trade's or degree's
    Iv 10 years experience in my line of work but no degree would it be worth my while giving up decent pay in Dublin to try getting a decent job in Vancouver ?
    Iv always wanted to give living abroad a try but at 33 I don't have time on my side , in two minds weather to stay here or just up sticks and give it a go ,

Iv 10 years experience in my line of work but no degree would it be worth my while giving up decent pay in Dublin to try getting a decent job in Vancouver ?
    Iv always wanted to give living abroad a try but at 33 I don't have time on my side , in two minds weather to stay here or just up sticks and give it a go ,

Jayzus 33 is hardly old! I'm 30 heading over and can't wait!

How much in total does the Visa cost ?

How much in total does the Visa cost ?

cost me $250CAD

think its about €170

I've no degree myself and I've only really done cash in hand construction work my whole life (I'm 25) so my C.V isn't great you could say, that's the main reason I'm worried about going (and the fact I'll have to go alone now that my mates backed out) and I've got my visa and all.

Juan8 wrote: »

I've no degree myself and I've only really done cash in hand construction work my whole life (I'm 25) so my C.V isn't great you could say, that's the main reason I'm worried about going (and the fact I'll have to go alone now that my mates backed out) and I've got my visa and all.

Just go for it,
    The worst that can happen is you have to come home, but at least you gave it a go

Just go for it,
    The worst that can happen is you have to come home, but at least you gave it a go

This +100

better to have given it a go then to look back in 10 years and wonder what might have happened!

I'm in the same boat, as soon as my lease is up on my apartment im going to give it a bash ,.

• Advertisement

This +100

better to have given it a go then to look back in 10 years and wonder what might have happened!

Just go for it,

Cheers lads, that's exactly how I am trying to think of it, worst comes to worst I had a 3/4 months holiday in Canada, hardly the end of the world :D

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Deirdre5

sorry dumb question but is it travel or health insurance we need? I keep seeing conflicting info online.
    Also any tips on the best insurance provider to go with?

Deirdre5 wrote: »
    sorry dumb question but is it travel or health insurance we need? I keep seeing conflicting info online.
    Also any tips on the best insurance provider to go with?

Travel insurance is basically your health insurance, it will cover you up to so much depending on what type of cover you pay for.

an example: http://www.go4less.ie/insurance/index_canada.asp

I'm sure there are better offers if you shop around that was just the first that popped up on a search

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Deirdre5

Travel insurance is basically your health insurance, it will cover you up to so much depending on what type of cover you pay for.

an example: http://www.go4less.ie/insurance/index_canada.asp

I'm sure there are better offers if you shop around that was just the first that popped up on a search

wow that's a lot cheaper than I expected, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 leagaun

Hello, I have two questions regarding entry to Canada and activating my Visa.

Does my visa automatically get activated when I enter the country or do I have to go somewhere to activate it? As the date I will arrive is almost 1 year since my visa was given to me I just want to make sure I can activate it as soon as possible.

Also can anybody tell me how strict they are on having a certain amount of money in account on arrival?

Many thanks

leagaun wrote: »
    Hello, I have two questions regarding entry to Canada and activating my Visa.

Does my visa automatically get activated when I enter the country or do I have to go somewhere to activate it? As the date I will arrive is almost 1 year since my visa was given to me I just want to make sure I can activate it as soon as possible.

Also can anybody tell me how strict they are on having a certain amount of money in account on arrival?

Many thanks

It doesn't automatically get activated - you will be directed to a separate area in the airport where they will process the permit.

Having $2500 in your account is one of the requirements of the program - they could refuse you the permit for not having this amount. As to how strict they are that really depends on the border agent (I was not asked for proof of funds or insurance but others have).

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DsJewel

Juan8 wrote: »
    Mate of mines backed out coming with me, just out of interest how many people here are planning on going alone? I'm having a hard time deciding myself

I'm heading to Toronto on my own at the end of October. I figure I'll only regret not giving it a go and I'm sure plenty of people move over alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

DsJewel wrote: »
    I'm heading to Toronto on my own at the end of October. I figure I'll only regret not giving it a go and I'm sure plenty of people move over alone.

I went over alone and loved it, I went to Australia with a couple of other people and didnt enjoy it as much at the start, it was only when we seperated that we all started to enjoy it a lot more

Hey if I'm 35 next year.
    If I apply and get my visa would it have to be used before I turn 35 ?
    Also what if I turn 35 while in Canada on my first year does it effect the second ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 bm92

Hey!!
    So my girlfriend and I are going to apply today for the invitation. Am I correct in thinking there is no way to link our applications so we both get offers at same time? Also what are the chances of getting the offers?

Advertisement