Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinead O'Connor facebook post today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

walshb wrote: »
    And, since when does anyone have to always sympathise with a mental health sufferer? There are some people suffering with mental health that are plain nasty and bad and evil.

Interesting point. You will find very few mass murderers in the history books who don't have a solid case for mental health problems, all the way from Stalin and Adolf Hitler to the kid who shoots up secondary school or the father who smothers his sons.

Regarding Sinead O Connor, her craving for attention seems to be a symptom of her mental health problems, so by giving her that attention her supporters are actually causing her more harm.
    Really, such an ignorant post.

So Sinead's posts on Facebook are just to satisfy her attention cravings.
    Is that all mental illness is to you?

Do you realise the mental illness of a mass murderer is completely different to that of a suicidal person. Just like in normal medicine how a broken leg is completely different to cancer but still require attention.
    I really feel sorry for Sinead, I've been listening to her music for over 30'years. She is a fantastic talent that we should treasure and realise she has psychological issues. Support is what she needs not ignorance. .

• Registered Users Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

murpho999 wrote: »

So Sinead's posts on Facebook or just to satisfy her attention cravings.

Do you realise the mental illness of a mass murderer is completely different to that of a suicidal person. Just like in normal medicine how a broken leg is completely different to cancer but still require attention.
    I really feel sorry for Sinead, I've been listening to her music for over 30' years. She is a fantastic talent that we should treasure and realise she has psychological issues. Support is what she needs not ignorance. .

Don't waste your time tbh.

Experience from other threads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

PressRun wrote: »
    Yeah, because Sinead O'Connor is definitely the equivalent of a tyrannical mass murderer or someone who shoots up their school.

This nonsense about mentally ill people being dangers to society is part of the problem when it comes to the stigmatization of mental illness. Mentally ill people are statistically far more likely to be victims of violence than perpetrators of it. People love trotting out the "mentally ill" line when faced with violence or violent individuals, regardless of the fact that there's little evidence to support this.

As for your 'tough love' approach. Yeah, doesn't work.

So Sinead's posts on Facebook or just to satisfy her attention cravings.

I really feel sorry for Sinead, I've been listening to her music for over 30' years. She is a fantastic talent that we should treasure and realise she has psychological issues. Support is what she needs not ignorance. .

Oh dear. People who don't read a post properly or else just can't understand the difference between science and emotion are so tedious. Hair-trigger reactions, rant and rave... mental health,... how dare you... blah, blah, blah...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

seanaway wrote: »
    Nice to see democracy in action, isn't it?

What has Tumblr got to do with democracy. Dumb people giving out to you on Tumblr is hardly a suppression of your civil rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

What has Tumblr got to do with democracy. Dumb people giving out to you on Tumblr is hardly a suppression of your civil rights.

Because just going by this thread, anyone who is not toe-ing the line is branded a "troll", "ignorant", "uncaring", a naughty "c" word to name a few

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭PressRun

Oh dear. People who don't read a post properly or else just can't understand the difference between science and emotion are so tedious. Hair-trigger reactions, rant and rave... mental health,... how dare you... blah, blah, blah...

Oh yeah, sorry, you're the smartest person in the room. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

No it's not a hair trigger reaction. It's your own misunderstandings of how broad mental illness can be and you just say that Sinead O'Connor is seekig attention which is clearly not the case.

To be honest your posts stink more of seeking attention than those of Sinead O'Connor.

Anyhow post what you want after this as I think you're trolling and I couldn't be arsed arguing with you.

PressRun wrote: »
    Oh yeah, sorry, you're the smartest person in the room. :rolleyes:

Well, if I'm in a room with you and Murpho that's not much of a compliment. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Just been reading her latest batch of posts. God love her. She is clearly in distress. I don't think FB is the place to be unloading personal grievances and I think for her own sake she should have her account suspended until she is in a better place. We can all do or say things when we are vulnerable we wouldn't say in the ordinary scheme of things. I really hope she gets to a better place. I can understand where people are coming from when they may be cynical towards her given past history. In this case though I think she is genuinely in trouble emotionally. Her posts are in content extreme, inflammatory towards her family and friends and once on fb it is viewable forever I imagine.

No it's not a hair trigger reaction. It's your own misunderstandings of how broad mental illness can be

Mental illness is as broad as the human race. Everyone has some level of mental illness, just as everyone has some level of physical illness because nothing in this world is perfect and if something was perfect it certainly wouldn't be the Human Race. Now are you going to fill in some imaginary gaps in this statement? Probably.

Your assertion that I claimed in my previous post anything at all about how broad mental illness is, is simply something you have imagined.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I've moved this from Celebs & Showbiz as I feel the topic is more suitable here.

MODs please feel free to move it somewhere else if there's a better place for it.

I couldn't see a general Mental Health Forum.

Sad to see this story in the celebrity news media. Personal health issues, especially mental health and/or involving children, should be off limits for the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

......... and you just say that Sinead O'Connor is seekig attention which is clearly not the case............

Anyhow post what you want after this as I think you're trolling and I couldn't be arsed arguing with you.

How do you know 'clearly' that it isn't attention seeking? That is as subjective a comment as is that she is attention seeking. Only 1 person knows and she certainly doesn't seem in much of a condition to tell anyone right now.

As for not being arsed arguing..... that is kind of the point of a forum. To make your point etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

The stigma towards mental health really needs to change. People should be able to discuss their health in an open manner whether it be mental or physical. The fact that people feel that they are unable to do this is what drives people into feeling isolated and powerless. If talking about it on Facebook is the only way that she can feel connected so be it.

Because just going by this thread, anyone who is not toe-ing the line is branded a "troll", "ignorant", "uncaring", a naughty "c" word to name a few

Again, absolutely nothing to do with democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

I think the problem with Sinead O'Conner is that being a celebrity who first made a name for themselves amongst the general public by doing things like tearing up a photo of the Pope on US TV and other stunts like becoming a nun for a few years etc is that people who haven't been paying much attention to her only know her for these kinds of outlandish stunts and then when she actually acts out due to her mental health issues it becomes all to easy to dismiss her behaviour as the actions of a desperate attention seeking celebrity.

Which is sad because to anyone who has been paying attention she has been on a steady downward spiral for the past few years. It has gone well past the attention seeking publicity stunt antics if her early career.

She is very sick and the media spotlight only contributes to her self-destructive behaviour.

I hope for her sake she gets the treatment she needs and to be honest, quits the business for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Sad to see this story in the celebrity news media. Personal health issues, especially mental health and/or involving children, should be off limits for the media.

Agreed. Which makes the fact that Sinead O'Connor chooses to disclose every minute detail of her personal life though the media circus of Facebook all the more objectionable.
    If she wants to get better, she should close her Facebook account immediately, or if Facebook want to be seen to be acting in a responsible fashion, they should suspend her Facebook account immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Again, absolutely nothing to do with democracy.

Freedom of speech/opinion is not a cornerstone of democracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

The cry for help on social media is definitely not a reason for any form of thought policing by facebook, that's not to say that it wouldn't be a good move to get her to close her account, but by her own choice.

Freedom of speech/opinion is not a cornerstone of democracy?

If Tumblr was run by the government and was surpressing your opinion on the site then you might have a case. Tumblr is a private site so they can abide by their own code of conduct as long as it doesn't break the law - in the same way this site does with regards to moderation.. In this instance the website didn't have an issue with the opinion, others did which they are perfectly entitled to do on the site.

I think people need to research what democracy means as well as what bipolar disorder is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭PressRun

Red King wrote: »
    I think the problem with Sinead O'Conner is that being a celebrity who first made a name for themselves amongst the general public by doing things like tearing up a photo of the Pope on US TV and other stunts like becoming a nun for a few years etc is that people who haven't been paying much attention to her only know her for these kinds of outlandish stunts and then when she actually acts out due to her mental health issues it becomes all to easy to dismiss her behaviour as the actions of a desperate attention seeking celebrity.

Which is sad because to anyone who has been paying attention she has been on a steady downward spiral for the past few years. It has gone well past the attention seeking publicity stunt antics if her early career.

She is very sick and the media spotlight only contributes to her self-destructive behaviour.

I hope for her sake she gets the treatment she needs and to be honest, quits the business for good.

I totally agree with the above. The aftermath and fall-out from episodes are hard enough to deal with at the best of times, I can't imagine what it's like to have to deal with that while in the public eye. I don't know what Sinead's diagnosis is, but guilt and many mental illnesses go hand-in-hand. During bad times, I've had very intense feelings of guilt and shame, turning my anxiety up to a ten, worrying about what other people thought of my antics, and then the guilt usually compels you to behave even more destructively. There's a circularity to it - destructive behaviour, guilt, even more destructive behaviour, even more guilt, and on and on until you get to the point where you feel worthless and don't even care very much about living anymore. Luckily Facebook and Twitter weren't really a thing in my life when I was going through the worst of times! I can only imagine that being in the public eye, where every impulsive thing you say or do is seen by so many people, probably amplifies those feelings.

She could do with taking a prolonged break from all of this, and maybe quitting for good. The environment just doesn't seem conducive to maintaining a health state of mind, especially when she's already in a fragile state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

So Sinead's posts on Facebook are just to satisfy her attention cravings.

I really feel sorry for Sinead, I've been listening to her music for over 30'years. She is a fantastic talent that we should treasure and realise she has psychological issues. Support is what she needs not ignorance. .

This country is still full of people who just can't stop themselves from smirking scornfully when they hear the term mental illness
    Mental illness to them is just a fancy term for "looking for notice"
    Reading some posts here it really is no wonder the suicide stats are so high
    "Attention seeking" "publicity stunt" etc
    Imagine being closely involved with one of these posters and suddenly being plunged into depression or panic attacks brought on by stress and anxiety?
    Imagine reaching out to your loved one for help and being told that your just looking for notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭maebee

holyhead wrote: »
    Just been reading her latest batch of posts. God love her. She is clearly in distress. I don't think FB is the place to be unloading personal grievances and I think for her own sake she should have her account suspended until she is in a better place. We can all do or say things when we are vulnerable we wouldn't say in the ordinary scheme of things. I really hope she gets to a better place. I can understand where people are coming from when they may be cynical towards her given past history. In this case though I think she is genuinely in trouble emotionally. Her posts are in content extreme, inflammatory towards her family and friends and once on fb it is viewable forever I imagine.

Sad/strange that she has to communicate with her family through FB.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

maebee wrote: »
    Sad/strange that she has to communicate with her family through FB.

My family and I communicate through FB/Whatsapp, we even have a special group set up on whatsapp

Stheno wrote: »
    My family and I communicate through FB/Whatsapp, we even have a special group set up on whatsapp

Do you air all you family grievances on FB/Whatsapp?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Do you air all you family grievances on FB/Whatsapp?

Not at all, but our whatsapp group is there to communicate what's going on etc.

That said at the moment none of my family members on the group are seriously mentally ill as appears to be the case with Ms. O'Connor.

Stheno wrote: »
    Not at all, but our whatsapp group is there to communicate what's going on etc.

That said at the moment none of my family members on the group are seriously mentally ill as appears to be the case with Ms. O'Connor.

That's between yourselves, which is ok. SOC has made her private family affairs available for everyone to see.

That's between yourselves, which is ok. SOC has made her private family affairs available for everyone to see.

True all our facebook profiles are private

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭worded

Sinead is probably the best irish vocalist alive.
    She is an outstanding talented musician.

You tube "sinead oconnor live"

Fire in Babylon is amazing, the Power in her voice

There is a thin line between genius and madness

Keep it together sinead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Agreed. Which makes the fact that Sinead O'Connor chooses to disclose every minute detail of her personal life though the media circus of Facebook all the more objectionable.
    If she wants to get better, she should close her Facebook account immediately, or if Facebook want to be seen to be acting in a responsible fashion, they should suspend her Facebook account immediately.

I'd like to think Harry that the people close to her would guide her in that direction....It's not doing her any good in the long term...:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement