Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinead O'Connor facebook post today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

I suppose it shouldn't come as a big surprise that many of the posts on a thread like this sound bitter and spiteful. I plan on reporting any slanderous comments on here to more than just the mods on Boards.ie

I've already been reported to 'the Embassy' this week by some Indian chap when I told him to eff off making spam phone calls to me in work. I'm really in the mire now.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

Gladly.. As ye were - the garden fence is clear again so back at yer nattering
    And Awayyyyy.... ya go without providing any answers to the questions posed to you.

Love to hear how you get on with all that reporting you are going to do.

Do drop in and let us know who is going to be taken away in handcuffs so we can make sure we don't leave the immersion on.. Ta.

emeldc wrote: »
    I've already been reported to 'the Embassy' this week by some Indian chap when I told him to eff off making spam phone calls to me in work. I'm really in the mire now.

OH NO! Not the EMBASSY! Are ya shaking in your boots?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭Hoboo

seanaway wrote: »
    Hang on now....you said you reported ONE post to the mod because it was slander. It wasn't. Now you're trying to cast the net to take in all posts.

As for her being richer than me in many ways - how do you know? You don't know me from Adam or Eve.

And if being as rich in as many ways as she is leads to being like her - I'll stay as is thanks. I'm happy in my own skin and life.

So you now want to dicate as well and close the thread?

One more point....if she doesn't want to be discussed on public forums she shouldn't make her life a public talking shop by telling the public she has just taken an overdose on PUBLIC social media. Fame is a two edged sword.

The girl is bipolar. A little less ignorance would go a long way.

And people wonder why sufferers won't call out.......

• Registered Users Posts: 55,082 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Hoboo wrote: »
    T

She certainly is calling out. 25 years now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 DeeBE

The majority of people replying to Sineads posts on Facebook are in her corner, they are wishing her well and are mostly sincere. (There are of course Trolls who like the look of their own comments but who have nothing to add so i just ignore them). The facts are there, Sinead is suffering a breakdown of sorts, her instability is obvious and her posts are heartrending. And she is still posting, even an hour ago ... and the audience are still reading ... and Facebook continue to allow this to happen.
    I for one do not know the circumstances, I don't know the real facts, but it is obvious that people are being hurt, whether its that they are directly mentioned in Sineads posts, whether its Sinead herself, or whether its someone reading that is being reminded of similar traumatic states. I'm not sure what Facebook's policy is but I personally don't think that it is the place for these posts.

Hoboo wrote: »
    The girl is bipolar. A little less ignorance would go a long way.

I think if you read through the thread you'll see my post is in direct answer to the nonsense posted by the person I was replying to.

I have great sympathy for anyone going through what she's going through. It was the poster who had made false claims of slander against another poster I was trying (and failing) to get through to.

DeeBE wrote: »
    The majority of people replying to Sineads posts on Facebook are in her corner, they are wishing her well and are mostly sincere. (There are of course Trolls who like the look of their own comments but who have nothing to add so i just ignore them). The facts are there, Sinead is suffering a breakdown of sorts, her instability is obvious and her posts are heartrending. And she is still posting, even an hour ago ... and the audience are still reading ... and Facebook continue to allow this to happen.
    I for one do not know the circumstances, I don't know the real facts, but it is obvious that people are being hurt, whether its that they are directly mentioned in Sineads posts, whether its Sinead herself, or whether its someone reading that is being reminded of similar traumatic states. I'm not sure what Facebook's policy is but I personally don't think that it is the place for these posts.

Well said....Facebook should NOT be allowing this to hapen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Well said....Facebook should NOT be allowing this to hapen.

How do they stop it? How do the set up a system to avoid situations like this that wouldn't be prone to abuse?

Posting your thoughts and views about an identifiable person which may paint that person in a negative light is slanderous. It's quite simple.

I'm sorry ed333 but this is a big over reaction. This is an open forum and everything is discussed on Boards.ie. The Mod and nobody else decides if something is slanderous . People are entitled to their opinions , it does not mean they have no personal experience of similar tragedies themselves.

I also lost a cousin to suicide .... very suddenly , no warnings, no letter, leaving behind a wife and 3 beautiful children. Its often the quiet people ,the ones that seem ok who commit suicide , the ones who have crossed that line, who don't go on Facebook, who have no anger, no bitterness , no emotion . They're beyond feeling.

with Sinead O Connor it's a bit like "the boy who cried wolf"
    .....I hope she gets the help she needs .....AND comes off Facebook ...

• Advertisement

I'm sorry ed333 but this is a big over reaction. This is an open forum and everything is discussed on Boards.ie. The Mod and nobody else decides if something is slanderous . People are entitled to their opinions , it does not mean they have no personal experience of similar tragedies themselves.

I also lost a cousin to suicide .... very suddenly , no warnings, no letter, leaving behind a wife and 3 beautiful children. It often the quiet people ,the ones that seem ok who commit suicide , the ones who have crossed that line, who don't go on Facebook, who have no anger, no bitterness , no emotion . They're beyond feeling.

with Sinead O Connor it's a bit like "the boy who cried wolf"
    .....I hope she gets the help she needs

Agree 100%

How do they stop it? How do the set up a system to avoid situations like this that wouldn't be prone to abuse?
    Facebook can pull any account they like - especially if it is something as serious as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Attention seeker in "attention seeking scandal" shocker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

So the mentally ill are similar to criminals? I think it might be you that's having a bad day with your mental health, maybe you should stop posting and exposing others to your toxic thought processes & maybe change your name to walshc as I can definitely think of a c word that fits!
    I suppose it shouldn't come as a big surprise that many of the posts on a thread like this sound bitter and spiteful. I plan on reporting any slanderous comments on here to more than just the mods on Boards.ie

Will you be reporting yourself to any of these higher powers??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,931 ✭✭✭furiousox

She's wondering now why all the people she called murderers and told to f..k off yesterday haven't been in to visit her today.
    First step on her recovery should be to get the f..k off facebook.

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    She's wondering now why all the people she called murderers and told to f..k off yesterday haven't been in to visit her today.
    for ed333 - Now i think THOSE words are slander to the people they were directed at..see the difference?

Facebook can pull any account they like - especially if it is something as serious as this.

What protocol would they put in place for it? I'm trying to think of one that would be effective that wouldn't be open to abuse by trolls and I can't think of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,931 ✭✭✭furiousox

furiousox wrote: »

(Disclaimer: This post has been vetted by my legal team for potential slander lawsuit issues prior to posting. The views expressed by furiousox do not necessarily represent the views held by furiousox, so they don't. Do not scroll past without typing amen.)

CPL 593H

What protocol would they put in place for it? I'm trying to think of one that would be effective that wouldn't be open to abuse by trolls and I can't think of anything.
    My guess would be they have ways of checking...they ain't dumb. They pulled the Britain First page a while back if memory serves me right.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 DeeBE

I'm not sure what the answer is. Back in September i was concerned with her posts where she spoke of self harm so I reported it, hoping that Facebook had some kind of system in place. I got the following reply:

Our Update
    Thank you for taking the time to report something that you feel may violate our Community Standards. Reports like yours are an important part of making Facebook a safe and welcoming environment. We reviewed the post you reported for containing self-injury and found that it doesn't violate our Community Standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,082 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Her behaviour is very reckless. People need to call her on it instead of feigning sympathy and love. All this nonsense of support and backing her is not at all helpful. It's exactly what she is feeding off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Are you going to report your own post that suggested another poster was "the "c" word"?

walshb wrote: »
    Her behaviour is very reckless. People need to call her on it instead of feigning sympathy and love. All this nonsense of support and backing her is not at all helpful. It's exactly what she is feeding off.

Tbf, people replying to her facebook statuses, whatever they're saying, aren't doing her any good at all.

Her behaviour is reckless but people can empathize with what is causing it. Like I said, I'm not a fan of hers but I have seen people I know who have been in her position and I can't say I feel like calling her out on it. It's unpleasant and miserable for all involved and I can only hope she does get the help that she needs for her sake and the sake of her family.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

Got an earful off the Tumblr police yesterday for expressing an opinion other than "sending prayers xxx" when this issue popped up.

Got an earful off the Tumblr police yesterday for expressing an opinion other than "sending prayers xxx" when this issue popped up.
    Nice to see democracy in action, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

Nice to see democracy in action, isn't it?

I wouldn't mind only what I said and went on to argue was very mild and got the whole 'onli god cn judg her x' response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Half the country rants on fb; should we section them all?

Now, you are being melodramatic. It's clearly more than just a rant on facebook. The woman has just taken an overdose by her own admission, anybody who is in such a situation deserves help.
    She has a history of depression and mental illness which would heighten ones observation of such posts especially when they are talking about overdoses which may lead to suicide. She is clearly talking about her abandonment from her family and this is a clear issue which would exasperate such feelings of worthlessness which can lead to suicide.
    This type of comment shows the whataboutry you express towards somebody with mental illness, you clearly are either an uncaring person or just have not read her outcries and posts.

But to answer your question, not all rants should be reported, but any rants which lead somebody to suspect that a person is a danger to themselves, is one for certain that should be shared with people with the ability to help the individual.
    Quite easy enough to figure out I would have thought..

I wouldn't mind only what I said and went on to argue was very mild and got the whole 'onli god cn judg her x' response.
    To be expected......some people don't want you to judge her but will judge you at the drop of a hat. Funny that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

And, since when does anyone have to always sympathise with a mental health sufferer? There are some people suffering with mental health that are plain nasty and bad and evil.

Interesting point. You will find very few mass murderers in the history books who don't have a solid case for mental health problems, all the way from Stalin and Adolf Hitler to the kid who shoots up secondary school or the father who smothers his sons.

Regarding Sinead O Connor, her craving for attention seems to be a symptom of her mental health problems, so by giving her that attention her supporters are actually causing her more harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭PressRun

Interesting point. You will find very few mass murderers in the history books who don't have a solid case for mental health problems, all the way from Stalin and Adolf Hitler to the kid who shoots up secondary school or the father who smothers his sons.

Regarding Sinead O Connor, her craving for attention seems to be a symptom of her mental health problems, so by giving her that attention her supporters are actually causing her more harm.

Yeah, because Sinead O'Connor is definitely the equivalent of a tyrannical mass murderer or someone who shoots up their school.

This nonsense about mentally ill people being dangers to society is part of the problem when it comes to the stigmatization of mental illness. Mentally ill people are statistically far more likely to be victims of violence than perpetrators of it. People love trotting out the "mentally ill" line when faced with violence or violent individuals, regardless of the fact that there's little evidence to support this.

As for your 'tough love' approach. Yeah, doesn't work.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement