Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Clodagh - 29 November 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Very stormy in Galway city right now. The wind has just woken me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Not looking forward to travelling to work this morning, my motorbike is the transportation I will be using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Strongest gusts should be confined to the northwest, sometime between around 9-11am. It should pick up rapidly and drop off very quickly.

For areas further south it'll probably be wore windy than stormy. Not as strong as Barney.

arpegeuk-11-11-0_ifp1.png

Meanwhile the 2km WRF has much lower max gusts. Seems a bit too low.

370052.jpg

Mace Head 46 gust 61 kts at 8 am

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

FWVT wrote: »
    Meanwhile the 2km WRF has much lower max gusts. Seems a bit too low.

370052.jpg

Probably because the parent model, GFS, doesn't seem to have the resolution to handle these type of small depressions very well.

9-515UK_bif2.GIF
    vs.
    arpegeuk-2-10-0_ofg0.png

• Advertisement

M4 buoy is 986 at 8am, so the depression is either a little deeper or a little further south than the ARPEGE posted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

West Limerick

Sustained 33km/h
    Gust 47km/h
    Westerly
    Dry

Similar conditions to Barney in relation to wind speeds and direction. More overcast though and the ground is waterlogged with water lying in fields at lower elevations.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

FWVT wrote: »
    Mace Head 46 gust 61 kts at 8 am

Or...85kmh to 113kmh...in new money. :)

Meets criteria for orange warning for that location at least. In fact a mean speed in excess of 80kmh should actually be a red warning.

Somewhere in the region of 1150 premises currently without mains electricity supply.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Or...85kmh to 113kmh...in new money. :)

Meets criteria for orange warning for that location at least. In fact a mean speed in excess of 80kmh should actually be a red warning.

Red warning requires gusts to be >130 km/h in addition to mean winds >80 km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Fair 'nuff. I was taking the 'or' option, rather than the 'and' option! :)

Really just highlighting that the orange warning was/is justified (in particular for the naysayers who will be along later!).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Really? From the way I took it on the website it was the "or" option. Maybe someone on the Met Eireann site wasn't clear on the way they wrote it?

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Really? From the way I took it on the website it was the "or" option. Maybe someone on the Met Eireann site wasn't clear on the way they wrote it?

Agreed, it is a bit vague/open to interpretation.

Carnacalla wrote: »

Mean winds going over 80 km/h often happens without a red warning. They only issue a red warning when gusts are also forecast to be greater than 130 km/h.

Personally I think both thresholds are too low for the highest possible warning, but that's for another day maybe :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭naughto

Getting stormy now here in Castlebar with heavy rain and a recent lightning strike in the belmullet area

It seems to have got worse since u posted above.just as well they don't have the cheap sh1 ty Christmas lights up any more, they would be in the lake by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Padster90s

I'm at my parents in north/east Galway. Woken by the wind at half 8. Sustained wind is at a constant howl/whistle. Gusts sound sharp if that makes sense! The gusts aren't making a whistle, they arrive with like an instant bang. It sounds stronger than Abigail and Barney imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Winds down to a mere 58kt at Mace Head.

54 at Knock/Belmullet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

It's very windy in Cork City with some serious gusts. I don't have any fancy gauges to go by so I just use the "bed gauge" - either stay there or get up - I'm staying there :D

Calming down here in West Limerick. Gusts are much less frequent than an hour ago.

Very short lived wind event but enough to make things interesting on the weather front.

No reports of trees down so far, but given its a Sunday morning that's wet and windy I expect traffic volume is low. There may possibility a tree / bush or two down but not reported yet.

Peaked on the west coast now. Should be peaking on the northwest coast over the next hour. Malin might report the highest gust at 10. Pity there's no station on Bloody Foreland.

• Advertisement

West Limerick

Sustained 23km/h
    Gust 44km/h

Light mist.
    WNW

Donegal Airport reported 40 gust 57 kts so far. Sligo Airport 33 gust 46 kts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Is the 'storm' all over now? I'm planning on going to Tramore today but don't want my ancient jalopy blown off the motorway. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Is the 'storm' all over now? I'm planning on going to Tramore today but don't want my ancient jalopy blown off the motorway. :o

Storms just peaking at the west coast afaik.

36 gust 53 kt at Sligo Airport and 30 gust 40 kt at Donegal Airport at 10 am. Pressure now rising again at both.

35 gust 54 kt at Kerry Airport, which is inland, unlike the other two.

Malin Head 32 gust 62 kt at 10 am.
    Mace Head 43 gust 60 kt.
    Finner 34 gust 47 kt.
    Belmullet 25 gust 49 kt

47kt Dublin Air
    50kt Shannon

Finners report will be interesting, not in yet though. Malin likely to get peak gust perhaps.

47kt Dublin Air
    50kt Shannon

Finners report will be interesting, not in yet though. Malin likely to get peak gust perhaps.

Finner 34 gust 47.

I see 56kt at Finner on 10am obs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Very vicious gusts of wind in Galway now car shaking when driving

Advertisement