Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match Thread - Leinster v Ulster - RDS Arena - Fri 27 November 19:35 | TG4 BBC NI

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

CatFromHue wrote: »
    You get forward momentum onto the pass when you're running (and usually running fast), look at the clip again and Sexton slows right down to walking speed when he throws the pass and only gets up to a jog after the ball leaves his hand.

I don't think he puts any forward momentum onto the ball as he doesn't have any forward momentum himself.

If he is moving forward, which you're saying he was, then he has forward momentum. I'm getting very confused here..... :confused:

EDIT: So hang on, does he have very little forward momentum because he was jogging or no forward momentum because he was walking (forward)?
    Sexton has very little forward momentum when he's passing the ball
    Sexton is jogging when he passes it
    Sexton slows right down to walking speed when he throws the pass and only gets up to a jog after the ball leaves his hand.

I don't think he puts any forward momentum onto the ball as he doesn't have any forward momentum himself.

It wasn't a forward pass. You see passes like this every game.

However, you can tell Sexton is concerned about it being deemed a forward pass as he noticeably accelerates after the ball leaves his hands to get a distance ahead of where the ball ends up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It wasn't a forward pass. You see passes like this every game.

However, you can tell Sexton is concerned about it being deemed a forward pass as he noticeably accelerates after the ball leaves his hands to get a distance ahead of where the ball ends up.

I don't think that's what Johnny is doing there at all, he's looking to get himself into a position to take the pass from Kirchner. It's something we see Sexton do a lot, continue his line after passing the ball so that he can get involved again. He did something similar against Sarries in 2010 (1:45 below):

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

molloyjh wrote: »
    If he is moving forward, which you're saying he was, then he has forward momentum. I'm getting very confused here..... :confused:

EDIT: So hang on, does he have very little forward momentum because he was jogging or no forward momentum because he was walking (forward)?

I watched it again and saw that he wasn't actually jogging when he passed the ball but walking, he's jogging when he gets the ball but slows right down to walking speed to pass it and then speeds up again after he's passed it.

Yes as he's moving forward he has forward momentum but it's negligible so can be discounted when considering is the pass forward or not.

Think about a car driving at 1 km/h and throwing a rock out the window. Then compare it with a car 100km/h where you throw another rock out the window at the exact same spot and in the exact same way.

The rock at 100km/h will be way ahead of the other rocks as the car will give it forward momentum when you throw it. The rock from the 1km/h car will take no forward momentum from the car as the forward speed is so small or negligible.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I don't think that's what Johnny is doing there at all, he's looking to get himself into a position to take the pass from Kirchner. It's something we see Sexton do a lot, continue his line after passing the ball so that he can get involved again. He did something similar against Sarries in 2010 (1:45 below):

Yeah you're probably right but I thought at the time he looked like he was running too far ahead of the ball and figured it was for show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭accidentprone1

I watched it again and saw that he wasn't actually jogging when he passed the ball but walking, he's jogging when he gets the ball but slows right down to walking speed to pass it and then speeds up again after he's passed it.

Yes as he's moving forward he has forward momentum but it's negligible so can be discounted when considering is the pass forward or not.

Think about a car driving at 1 km/h and throwing a rock out the window. Then compare it with a car 100km/h where you throw another rock out the window at the exact same spot and in the exact same way.

The rock at 100km/h will be way ahead of the other rocks as the car will give it forward momentum when you throw it. The rock from the 1km/h car will take no forward momentum from the car as the forward speed is so small or negligible.

Your analogy is just an exaggeration of the actual situation. I'm not sure if that works as something to back up the point!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

mfceiling wrote: »
    Remember who the ref was...

Typical favouritism to Ulster from him

Advertisement