Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Galvin collection in Dunnes

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Texas Jack

His thighs are too big to pull off skinny jeans

Skinny jeans get a bad rap- if you're Mick Jagger, Russell Brand or any of the Kings of Leon you can pull them off, but not this gob****e

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

bigpink wrote: »
    He doesnt design them anyway

Go on...
    what does he do then??

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Punkyblip

pgtips.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

PL1425390Paul%20Galvin%20Tweed.jpg[/QUOTE]

It's the "I was going to bed then remembered I hadn't put the bins out" look.

What I want to know is who dressed the pair of them for their wedding. Looking at that photo in the article, his trousers are too short and her dress is not properly fitting.
    road_high wrote: »
    They're the shoes from his Collection!

Very poor shoe for a wedding outfit (when there's a 3 piece suit involved), open laced style so not near formal enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Go on...
    what does he do then??

he gives birth to them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Texas Jack

20Cent wrote: »
    PL1425390Paul%20Galvin%20Tweed.jpg

It's the "I was going to bed then remembered I hadn't put the bins out" look.[/QUOTE]

The more I look the more remarkably bad this is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

20Cent wrote: »
    PL1425390Paul%20Galvin%20Tweed.jpg

I think it's more of the "I washed my new blazer and jeans at 90C and then tumble dried them for four hours look."

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

What the actual fcuk was he thinking. Those jeans are hideous - how can he walk in them??? The guy has absolutely no style. Mutton dressed as lamb...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

groovyg wrote: »
    I just had a look at his collection and to be honest most of the stuff in it like the skinny jeans I see a lot of guys wearing. The only piece I thought was a bit off the wall was the cycle waistcoat but other than that I wouldn't call it very out there.

Its not out there nor edgy nor creative, its just high street stuff at an outrageously high price point for Dunnes. Its dearer than the equivalent in Topman and RI. Bizarre really.

• Advertisement

Its not out there nor edgy nor creative, its just high street stuff at an outrageously high price point for Dunnes. Its dearer than the equivalent in Topman and RI. Bizarre really.

There's a lot of truth in that, however I have a couple of things from the first collection and in my opinion they are very well made and of superior quality to topman, river island, next etc

bigpink wrote: »
    He doesnt design them anyway

I've asked already but got no response, you saw fit to throw it out there and I'm not doubting you, just interested to know exactly what it is he does if he doesn't design the clothes?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

It's not outrageously expensive. It all depends on quality and I have no idea what that is like.

Dunnes certainly started stocking more expensive female lines, I don't know why they shouldn't do the same with their male lines. They will not win race to the bottom against Penny's.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I've asked already but got no response, you saw fit to throw it out there and I'm not doubting you, just interested to know exactly what it is he does if he doesn't design the clothes?

Designing couture requires a fairly extensive knowledge of fabrics, tailoring, cutting, sewing and so on. I've been sewing since my teens and have done a few courses when I could and I could knock out a decent pattern from scratch, cut and make up a dress, but I in no way could claim to be a designer. A person who wouldn't know how to thread a sewing machine has a cheek to call themselves a designer imo.

It's more likely that PG went through a catalogue of sketches and picked out what he liked to add his name to them, or he sat with an artist and they drew what he asked them to. I mean, I draw dinosaurs for my child with his green crayons, but that doesn't make him (or me!) a palaeontologist.

Neyite wrote: »
    Designing couture requires a fairly extensive knowledge of fabrics, tailoring, cutting, sewing and so on. I've been sewing since my teens and have done a few courses when I could and I could knock out a decent pattern from scratch, cut and make up a dress, but I in no way could claim to be a designer. A person who wouldn't know how to thread a sewing machine has a cheek to call themselves a designer imo.

It's more likely that PG went through a catalogue of sketches and picked out what he liked to add his name to them, or he sat with an artist and they drew what he asked them to. I mean, I draw dinosaurs for my child with his green crayons, but that doesn't make him (or me!) a palaeontologist.

Thank you for that, if it's the first case then he's certainly not the designer, if he worked in collaboration with an artist then he clearly is, I mean somebody has to get the credit for designing the clothes.
    Would your point stand for all 'celebrity' designers, I'm thinking of Victoria Beckham or those Olsen twins?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Thank you for that, if it's the first case then he's certainly not the designer, if he worked in collaboration with an artist then he clearly is, I mean somebody has to get the credit for designing the clothes.
    Would your point stand for all 'celebrity' designers, I'm thinking of Victoria Beckham or those Olsen twins?

Yes, I think it would - a lot of them anyway. :) Because design is (for me) not just coming up with an idea - its about bringing that idea into a tangible form. If a company says that they want an IT company to provide them with tailored software, and they say they want this and this and that in it, its still the IT company that designs it. Katie Price 'wrote' several autobiographies but I wouldn't consider her a writer or an author like Marian Keyes is because, while KP provided the content it was ghost-written by someone else to put it into a readable format for mass consumption.

With VB for example, I'm sure she has huge input into her line and from what I can gather has learned a lot about tailoring and so on. I saw an online picture of her sewing with her daughter for example so that suggests she has passion and flair for what she is doing and a desire to further her knowledge and skill. But ultimately she has to consult with a real designer who has the knowledge and skill to make that creation she sketched fit the way she wants it to, hang the way she wants it to, and move the way she wants it too. So that person designs what VB has had an idea of. There is a lot of collaborative input obviously, and she has always been known for her keen interest in fashion, so I wouldn't split hairs over her being called a designer as such but there are a lot of celebrities who have very little skill or knowledge and are more correctly just producing for their 'brand' rather than designing if you know what I mean.

Yes, I think it would - a lot of them anyway. :) Because design is (for me) not just coming up with an idea - its about bringing that idea into a tangible form. If a company says that they want an IT company to provide them with tailored software, and they say they want this and this and that in it, its still the IT company that designs it. Katie Price 'wrote' several autobiographies but I wouldn't consider her a writer or an author like Marian Keyes is because, while KP provided the content it was ghost-written by someone else to put it into a readable format for mass consumption.

With VB for example, I'm sure she has huge input into her line and from what I can gather has learned a lot about tailoring and so on. I saw an online picture of her sewing with her daughter for example so that suggests she has passion and flair for what she is doing and a desire to further her knowledge and skill. But ultimately she has to consult with a real designer who has the knowledge and skill to make that creation she sketched fit the way she wants it to, hang the way she wants it to, and move the way she wants it too. So that person designs what VB has had an idea of. There is a lot of collaborative input obviously, and she has always been known for her keen interest in fashion, so I wouldn't split hairs over her being called a designer as such but there are a lot of celebrities who have very little skill or knowledge and are more correctly just producing for their 'brand' rather than designing if you know what I mean.
    Thanks for your excellent input:)
    I suppose in a way I'd consider him the designer if they are his ideas and he works with sketchers and tailors to bring them into reality, in saying that I completely respect your view as being the correct one.:o
    Funny, I happened to be in Dunnes today and had another look at the latest collection, the v neck wool jumpers are really nice, feel lovely to wear, not cheap at 60€ but I might take a chance in the next few weeks, the t shorts seem to be great quality as well to my untrained eye.

• Site Banned Posts: 61 ✭✭Squire Ladd

Thanks for your excellent input:)
    I suppose in a way I'd consider him the designer if they are his ideas and he works with sketchers and tailors to bring them into reality, in saying that I completely respect your view as being the correct one.:o
    Funny, I happened to be in Dunnes today and had another look at the latest collection, the v neck wool jumpers are really nice, feel lovely to wear, not cheap at 60€ but I might take a chance in the next few weeks, the t shorts seem to be great quality as well to my untrained eye.

60 snots for a dunnes gansai????? Jaysus you're into Tommy Hilfiger teritory there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I would say that majority of celebrity collaborations are little more than branding exercise. I believe Victoria Beckham is properly involved, I think she said once she was concentrating on dresses because she didn't feel comfortable enough yet to produce more tailored pieces. There seems to be more respect in fashion business for her than for some other 'celebrity' designers. I would say Paul Galvin is probably a bit more involved than just lending his name but far from being designer.

That being said I suspect a lot of clothing is picked from catalogues by brands. I remember my brother buying Next branded shorts, his friend got the exactly same shorts under clothing brand C&A. As far as I know there is no connection between two brands and they trade in different markets.

60 snots for a dunnes gansai????? Jaysus you're into Tommy Hilfiger teritory there

It seems to be far superior in quality to a Tommy Hilfiger jumper,

• Advertisement

Our little engagement here came to my mind last night while reading an interview with Ralph Lauren in Esquire magazine. Pardon me if its a little off topic but it's a subject that is of some interest to me with regard to Galvin, I quite like him as a fella, loved him as a footballer and I've met him socially once and he was a gentleman, I'm also interested in menswear and would love to have the chance to 'design' myself if it's as easy as some would suggest it is for Mr Galvin.
    Anyway Ralph Lauren never went to fashion school of any sort,
    The article says 'he was never much of a draughtsman "I'm not a good drawer, I don't draw as well as the designers"'. It seems he brings his ideas and works with a team of designers, always has done, does this put him in the same category as some celebrity designers?
    I'm not trying to prove anything here, as I said I'm just very interested to know what exactly the celebrity designers do.

Ralph Lauren may not have sketched, but he went working for a famous men's clothing store, where he would have learned about tailoring and suiting.

After that he was a salesman for a tie company and left at age 26 to set up his own company manufacturing ties on his own after he designed and made a tie himself, initially fashioning ties out of rags from his own home, sewing them himself. His ties were then picked up by Neiman Marcus and from there he built up his fashion line. His whole life has been in menswear design.

I cant say I'd put Ralph Lauren in the same category of celebrity designer as say, Kanye West for example. To put it this way, which one of them would you say would know more about mens fashion?

It seems to be far superior in quality to a Tommy Hilfiger jumper,

In the US Tommy Hilfiger stuff is fairly cheap, even here compared to Gant, Lacoste and RL it's a step (or two) lower imo.

Dunnes do have some fairly good quality stuff, years ago I got a distressed leather jacket there in a New Year sale for tiny money. I still have it but haven't worn it in years, quality wise its fantastic to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

Wearin’ it and lovin’ it !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Is he a bogman or a biker? Zero fashion identity whatsoever. Just jumps on whatever bandwagon he thinks will sell a few skinny jeans. Rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭patmahe

One or two of the bits I've seen in Dunnes are nice, but if one of my friends turned up wearing the outfit he has on in page one of this thread, he'd get an unmerciful slagging. Its like someone who saw a photo in a style magazine and tried to replicate it using nothing but what they could find in the local charity shop!

Advertisement