Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Galvin collection in Dunnes

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

^^^^ ha ha ha ha the state of him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

That backwards waistcoat though!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,218 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is anyone actually buying this rubbish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

NIMAN wrote: »

God only knows.

Irish men are not generally well dressed by any stretch of the imagination but Galvin takes it to a whole new level. He's probably the only male in the country who's wardrobe would actually be improved by the addition of a Ben Sherman shirt and a few pairs of bootcut Wranglers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

God only knows.

Irish men are not generally well dressed by any stretch of the imagination but Galvin takes it to a whole new level. He's probably the only male in the country who's wardrobe would actually be improved by the addition of a Ben Sherman shirt and a few pairs of bootcut Wranglers.

He's not doing anything to help Irish men become more fashionable. At least give them something that might appeal to them! I mean, the average joe will look at that and go "is that what fashion is? It's not for me then" and stick to their bootcuts and check shirts.

At least if it was halfway approaching a decent collection, they might think "ooh I might wear that actually". Sort of like the way the Beckham ads do for H&M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭road_high

amdublin wrote: »
    He's done it again!!!!!

More rank clothes from Paul galvin in dunnes:

http://m.independent.ie/life/suits-you-sir-paul-galvin-moves-up-a-gear-34513535.html

Instantly thought Catholic priests wear from 100 years ago when I saw those (not a good thing btw). The red sweater and hendly t-shirt I'd probably wear, but pay the full prices would be another day's work...the shoes are alright, the 1916 waistcoat etc, horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

What I want to know is who dressed the pair of them for their wedding. Looking at that photo in the article, his trousers are too short and her dress is not properly fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭road_high

What I want to know is who dressed the pair of them for their wedding. Looking at that photo in the article, his trousers are too short and her dress is not properly fitting.

They're the shoes from his Collection!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

The silly waistcoat he wore for his wedding is the same silly waistcoat you'll see on the 'reduced' rail in Dunnes in a few weeks time. I'm not sure about the suit though. The wife looked incredible on the wedding day in fairness, no fear he had any say in that outfit anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

How to recycle all your nephews forgotten confirmation clothes.;)

• Advertisement

I showed the OH the manket picture last night and she laughed out loud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

NIMAN wrote: »

No, I'm waiting for the Healy Rae range

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Ah lads some of this thread is too close to personal abuse in fairness.
    Fair enough if my husband bought into the skinny jeans look at this age I'd probably be checking him into a midlife crisis clinic.
    But Paul has a job to do for Dunnes and he makes a living doing it. Fair play.
    The extreme stuff is there to get a reaction and going by this thread that is what he does.
    Hate the clothes by all means but hating a person is s bit much.

Lisha wrote: »
    Ah lads some of this thread is too close to personal abuse in fairness.
    Fair enough if my husband bought into the skinny jeans look at this age I'd probably be checking him into a midlife crisis clinic.
    But Paul has a job to do for Dunnes and he makes a living doing it. Fair play.
    The extreme stuff is there to get a reaction and going by this thread that is what he does.
    Hate the clothes by all means but hating a person is s bit much.

I don't hate the person, don't know him. But his clothes are ghastly.

I would question how money he is actually making from this. Who would honestly wear the manket?

His range would need to be a lot more casual and middle-of-the-road to sell, compared to some of the xtreme looks he's going for. Perhaps it is? I haven't been in Dunnes in a long time and ain't seen any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't like Paul Galvin and I don't think he is some designer genius, but creative people mostly push the boat a bit. And they are almost never conveniently well dressed. . It's like comparing fashion shots in Vogue to the ones in Hello. It would be boring if everyone was peddling a cashmere jumper, straight fit jeans, pair of converse or desert boots and blazer. It's not hard to be well dressed in the fashion catalogue sort of a way but it's not very creative ether. So I find all the outrage about someone who pushes the boat a bit mildly amusing and possibly more of a tell tale sign why Irish men (or women) are not known for the dress sense. God forbid you do something that's outside convention.

And I say that as a catalogue type of a dresser.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Ah jaysis but you can't be comparing a collection that might appear in Vogue to his collection that is available in Dunnes Stores! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

meeeeh wrote: »
    I don't like Paul Galvin and I don't think he is some designer genius, but creative people mostly push the boat a bit. And they are almost never conveniently well dressed. . It's like comparing fashion shots in Vogue to the ones in Hello. It would be boring if everyone was peddling a cashmere jumper, straight fit jeans, pair of converse or desert boots and blazer. It's not hard to be well dressed in the fashion catalogue sort of a way but it's not very creative ether. So I find all the outrage about someone who pushes the boat a bit mildly amusing and possibly more of a tell tale sign why Irish men (or women) are not known for the dress sense. God forbid you do something that's outside convention.

And I say that as a catalogue type of a dresser.

There's a huge difference between pushing the boat out to be creative, and looking like you were dressed by a blind moron.

amdublin wrote: »
    Ah jaysis but you can't be comparing a collection that might appear in Vogue to his collection that is available in Dunnes Stores! :pac:

I never said that. But anyone who opened Vogue will know that styling is completely different than for your every day tabloid. I haven't got a clue what Paul Galvin's clothing is like but I certainly am not dumb enough to think they Vogue material.

You don't like how Paul Galvin's dresses, neither do I. But at the same time I admire Jean Paul Gautlier yet I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to mimic his dress sense. What is important is that clothing is wearable and interesting not how designer dresses. There are plenty of blogs created by people who like themselves a bit too much to tell others how to dress, you don't need Paul Galvin to do that.

That being said I have no time for most of the clothing designed by celebrities. (Victoria Beckham might be exception). I want stuff designed by someone who is good at it not someone who is famous footballer.

He's not doing anything to help Irish men become more fashionable. At least give them something that might appeal to them! I mean, the average joe will look at that and go "is that what fashion is? It's not for me then" and stick to their bootcuts and check shirts.

At least if it was halfway approaching a decent collection, they might think "ooh I might wear that actually". Sort of like the way the Beckham ads do for H&M.

Beckham is another consistently poor dresser. Can't understand why anyone would want to dress like him.

meeeeh wrote: »
    I never said that. But anyone who opened Vogue will know that styling is completely different than for your every day tabloid. I haven't got a clue what Paul Galvin's clothing is like but I certainly am not dumb enough to think they Vogue material.

You don't like how Paul Galvin's dresses, neither do I. But at the same time I admire Jean Paul Gautlier yet I certainly wouldn't expect anyone to mimic his dress sense. What is important is that clothing is wearable and interesting not how designer dresses. There are plenty of blogs created by people who like themselves a bit too much to tell others how to dress, you don't need Paul Galvin to do that.

That being said I have no time for most of the clothing designed by celebrities. (Victoria Beckham might be exception). I want stuff designed by someone who is good at it not someone who is famous footballer.

I'm sorry I'm not getting your point - I. E. Where vogue relates to, or doesn't relate to paul galvin

I'm not sure if we are agreeing or not that they are ugly (and unwearable) clothes
    :)

There is a link a page or two back with pics of his new collection from dunnes, I'd love to hear what you think!

Edit.
    Here is the link!
    http://m.independent.ie/life/suits-you-sir-paul-galvin-moves-up-a-gear-34513535.html

• Advertisement

I don't mind if people criticize his collection but those personal attacks are just petty and stupid. Not everyone dresses the way majority consider as 'nice'. In fact there are different ways of expressing yourself than just looking nice.

Vogue apology was not about the Paul Galvin collection. It was an example how clothing can be approached from 'nice' (tabloids, majority of blogs) and edgy angle.

There is a difference between criticizing collection for general consumption and the need to kick someone back into line just because they stick out. This thread is very little about the collection and very much about personal attacks. But then this seems to be very popular lately around these quarters. I just don't like it, that is all. I guess I should be a bit less general in my response.

I genuinely think the majority of comments are in relation to how silly he looks "because of the awful clothes he is wearing"

Any comments you think are over the mark you should report and let a moderator review.

P.s. I guess my point is that a collection for dunnes is for general consumption while the clothes he's come up with are way out there. Not saying he shouldn't dare to be different but my god (in my opinion) they are hideously ugly clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

I just had a look at his collection and to be honest most of the stuff in it like the skinny jeans I see a lot of guys wearing. The only piece I thought was a bit off the wall was the cycle waistcoat but other than that I wouldn't call it very out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Gosh what a meh range of clothing. The out there stuff is very odd, the ordinary stuff is just plain and boring. The shirts are like something a chef would wear. Overall, you'd have to pay me to wear any of that, it's just yuck.

• Site Banned Posts: 61 ✭✭Squire Ladd

Seriously does anyone where this stuff?? It's beyond ridiculous - everything is 2 sizes too small !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Seriously does anyone where this stuff?? It's beyond ridiculous - everything is 2 sizes too small !

I'm wearing the black hoodie from the first collection right now, picked it up for a song a few weeks ago and I love it to be honest, sizing is absolutely as I would expect it to be, also tried on the bomber jacket and trousers and found them to be sized normally as well.

Nothing in the new collection appeals to me but it isn't exactly unusual, the blazer is quite nice but not something I'm interested in right now.

Is the black hoodie sleeveless or something???

If I remember it correctly it wouldn't be my cup of tea on that basis...

For the life of me I can't figure out what the fúck his '1916 cycle suit' is about.

In 1916 men would have been wearing high waisted trousers with a very wide leg and braces, literally nothing like the abomination below.

1210103_black.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

He doesnt design them anyway

Advertisement