Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where would you go next...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Casati

Wailin wrote: »
    2020 330e (used) or 2018 540i lads? Heart says 540i but head telling me 330e. Been said before, with the 540i I'd be married to it whereas the 330e would be a lot more desirable come trade in time a few yrs down the road.

I think you need to spend more time deciding on what you want from a car as those two options are both great but very different. If you can’t decide between them then it’s sounds like you should get a 2019 530e!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Wailin

I'd much prefer a 2019 330e over the equivalent 530e.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭chalky_ie

From an M3 to a 2 litre hybrid, that is some painful reading :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Also looking at this in Beshoffs

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/BMW/3 Series/fpa/202005279592638
    whats the deal with the boot? is there storage under the main compartment or is there that massive angle all the time?

conor-w wrote: »
    From an M3 to a 2 litre hybrid, that is some painful reading :D

More like common sense. I see now how hard it is to shift a car that's outside the ordinary. No one wants the 535d and an m3 would be the same especially after the damage the greens will do in government.

You're selling your m4 after just 3 or 4 months...

• Advertisement

shanec1928 wrote: »
    whats the deal with the boot? is there storage under the main compartment or is there that massive angle all the time?

The battery position to balance weight means the fuel tank eats into boot space. 100 litres smaller than standard 3 series, 530e is the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

More like common sense. I see now how hard it is to shift a car that's outside the ordinary. No one wants the 535d and an m3 would be the same especially after the damage the greens will do in government.

Yep, plenty of people here recommend m3s and m4s and tell you to go for the 3 litre diesel instead of the piddly little 2 litre... Easy to spend other people's money for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭crystalbrite

carsfan2 wrote: »
    https://www.usedcarsni.com/2018-BMW-5-Series-540i-xDrive-M-Sport-Saloon-269574705?keywords=&make=2&model=9078&fuel_type=1&trans_type=0&age_from=2018&age_to=0&price_from=0&price_to=0&user_type=0&mileage_to=0&body_style=0&keywords=&location%5B%5D=0&location%5B%5D=0&homepage_search_attr=1&tab_id=0&search_type=1

you would have this brought in from north for 41/42k. Has plus pack and comfprt and visibility pack. Obviously change the grille!
    A lot more car than a 330e and a 2020 330e would probably depreciate more over three years.

Why the hate for the grill?

Is changing it spraying it black or actually putting in a new grill?
    How much would that cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Those fake ///M stripes are manky and immediately devalue any BMW you see them on, hence the hate for the grill.

But yeah, you might not need a new grill, depending how those stripes are put on, most of the time they are just sticker overlays.

......No one wants the 535d............

All considered the offer from the trader wasn't bad at all IMO.

I do think if you go for a €40k+ 330e you'll be back to the same situation in 3 years time...... looking to change and not at all happy with the trade in offers and quite likely struggling to sell privately also. There'll be 3 year old Tesla model 3s about that will make a 330e appeal to a smaller number of buyers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,173 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't think a 330e or 530e is going to future proof you against taxation or demand. BMW are launching their range of full electric cars soon beginning with the i4. I read this morning that they will also launch a fully electric version of the current 3 Series also so I think these plug in hybrids could become obsolete very quickly and are really only a stop gap.

I know it's very easy to spend someone else's money but with all things considered there is no point in spending it on something your not going to be happy in either just to appease the masses who might buy it after you.

Just my 2c really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Whatever car you buy at this price point is going to lose a fair whack over the next few years.
    If you buy a 520d it still depreciates like a stone so buy the car you will enjoy owning and driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,307 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

No doubt if an all electric 3 or 5 series appears with a large battery and stupid levels of power, we will look at the 530e as being a silly idea.
    At it stands currently though, and with pricing as it is for 1 to 2 year old, there is little better option around if your useage suits it.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭chalky_ie

It's hard to shift any nice car in Ireland without losing money. I had a sensible, low tax, relatively quick BMW before and it still took ages to shift. I'm selling the M4 for a very specific reason, and I'm buying something equally as stupid, so common sense is in direct conflict with my opinions :D.

Do you really think you'll be upset if you get 'stuck' in a M car? I'd get the one you like the most and just accept that it's going to lose money either way, I really don't think there is much you can do on that front when it comes to BMWs in Ireland.

Was up in Ballymena earlier and drove the 540i. Lovely car lads, nice spec too. I got back into my own afterwards and it really hits home how dated the f10 interior is now. Deposit paid based on my own going Thursday. A trader is taking it and he put a deposit on it without seeing it.

The bluestone metallic is probably my least favourite colour in the G30 unfortunately but they agreed to put the black grills on it as part of the deal with a small bit off the asking too.

Augeo wrote: »
    All considered the offer from the trader wasn't bad at all IMO.

Turns out that offer wasn't genuine after all and another time waster on donedeal. Also had an offer of a 2013 520d and €6k....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,173 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Was up in Ballymena earlier and drove the 540i. Lovely car lads, nice spec too. I got back into my own afterwards and it really hits home how dated the f10 interior is now. Deposit paid based on my own going Thursday. A trader is taking it and he put a deposit on it without seeing it.

The bluestone metallic is probably my least favourite colour in the G30 unfortunately but they agreed to put the black grills on it as part of the deal with a small bit off the asking too.

Nicely done, well wear with it and I don't think you will regret it.

Was the trader who is buying your car mediated through the NI dealer or totally separate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Excellent choice Wailin, well wear.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Nicely done, well wear with it and I don't think you will regret it.

Was the trader who is buying your car mediated through the NI dealer or totally separate?

Cheers bazz. Totally separate, a dealer based in Galway contacted me. A few grand off what I was looking for in a private sale but most dealers didn't want to touch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

• Advertisement

Great choice Wailin.
    What I would have gone for too.
    Much movement from the dealer on price?
    How are they to deal with in comparison to their southern counterparts?

Not much movement really. £250 off plus m performance grills included which are £250. Full tank of fuel. I didn't expect much off at all with the price they had it at.

As regards how they compare to southern dealers, depends on what dealers! Any deal without a trade is a much smoother process anyway. It's a small family run bmw dealer but had a lovely showroom and its in the middle of nowhere! I thought the gps was bringing around in circles trying to get there.

The test drive was unusual as the sales rep drove ahead of me and I followed him! He was in a 2020 portimao blue g20 touring and I have to say, they are a handsome car in the metal.

Only a 12 month warranty unlike the 2 year we get down south.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Nice choice, best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

That's fantastic, best of luck with it, and feck the Greens anyway! Glad you stuck with the six cylinders also :D:D! Of course, it represents the end of an era for the UK and Irish market, because the only six cylinder petrol for the LCI is the 545e plug in hybrid, so it's nice to get one of the last executive cars available with a six cylinder engine. As mappable and all as the B48 is, the B58 will always be capable of so much more should the 335 bhp on offer not be enough thanks to the 50% greater cubic capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭digiman

Great choice, well wear

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SummerK

Amazing choice wailin. I just got 530e and I’m delighted with its performance. Can’t imagine how 6 cylinder performs 😬

Cheers bazz. Totally separate, a dealer based in Galway contacted me. A few grand off what I was looking for in a private sale but most dealers didn't want to touch it.

When you say didn't want to touch it, do you mean wouldn't take it as a trade or otherwise?
    I would have thought it was a desirable car.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Ryano87

Lovely car Wailin congrats. Did your jimny sell too? Fantastic little jeep have an 02 one myself I bought for a song - love them!

SummerK wrote: »
    Amazing choice wailin. I just got MY2020 530e and I’m delighted with its performance. Can’t imagine how 6 cylinder performs ��

Did you import the 530e?

• Advertisement

Love the 540i.
    Rare car here.

Advertisement