Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail 2016 timetable consultation: A DART every 10 minute and more

Options
  • 24-11-2015 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭

IE have just release their 2016 DART and Connolly timetable for consultation.

http://www.irishrail.ie/news/public-consultation-for-2016-dart-and-connolly-intercity-and-commuter-services

MODERATOR NOTE: For the record and easy access, I'm editing this to include the main changes as outlined by Irish Rail:
    • DART weekday 10-minute frequency: A major increase in weekday DART frequency from every 15 minutes to every 10 minutes all day.
    • DART weekend frequency: A consistent schedule every 15 minutes on Saturday, and every 20 minutes on Sunday, eliminating some existing schedule gaps.
    • Extra express morning peak service from Dundalk/Drogheda: as the existing morning Belfast Enterprise service will now serve Dundalk at the earlier time of 07.30hrs and Drogheda at 07.54hrs, a new express service is proposed to depart Dundalk at 07.55hrs, serving Drogheda at 08.20hrs arriving Dublin Connolly at 09.09hrs.
    • Increased frequency for Dundalk: This peak service is one of three new services in each direction daily for Dundalk on weekdays. Please see DRAFT Timetable for more information.
    • Dublin/Belfast Enterprise changes: a revised Dublin/Belfast Enterprise schedule will see a more even interval between services, resulting in some significant changes to departure times.
    • Departure time changes on all routes: while the above are the more significant changes, Iarnród Éireann advises all customers on all Connolly routes to view the draft schedules, as many services will see departure time changes, or changes to stopping patterns of individual trains which may affect their journeys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

All round a big improvement, it seems it'll now be possible to get from Belfast to Dub before 9am, although with a whopping 2 hour and 21 minute Journey time which really isn't sustainable with motorway competition. Also the current Belfast services are timetabled to much quicker, a step backwards in journey time

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

cgcsb wrote: »
    All round a big improvement, it seems it'll now be possible to get from Belfast to Dub before 9am, although with a whopping 2 hour and 21 minute Journey time which really isn't sustainable with motorway competition.

Also sees a re-introduction of Friday and Saturday only intercity services on the Connolly side-major changes to Sligo, Belfast and DART services.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,562 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

All round a big improvement, it seems it'll now be possible to get from Belfast to Dub before 9am, although with a whopping 2 hour and 21 minute Journey time which really isn't sustainable with motorway competition. Also the current Belfast services are timetabled to much quicker, a step backwards in journey time

Only that train takes that long - all the others take 2:15. I would assume this is down to having to fit within the increased commuter traffic.

I doubt it's possible to beat that with the constraint of having a 10 minute DART service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

That doesn't look good for Darts to Howth/Malahide in evening rush hour. 1 Dart to each location every 20 minutes. If Irish Rail are going to keep putting on 4 carriage darts in evening rush hour (and I've seen nothing to suggest otherwise) it's going to be carnage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they've padded the DART timings even more - it's now typically 45 minutes from Pearse to Bray (currently 40 which is already seriously padded). More trains yes, but slower than ever before. In theory extra trains should mean faster boarding so they should be reducing the journey durations but they've done the opposite.

Extra 10 minutes each day, 50 minutes extra a week on the DART, and I get to pay extra for the privilege? Bullsh!t.

• Advertisement

I also note the 0800 from Greystones, which is the busiest train on the entire IE network, now departs at 0804 and takes 3 minutes longer which makes it unviable for anyone who needs to be in work/college for 9am - not a huge problem unless you are getting it from Greystones where alternative options are limited. The previous train is a commuter from Wexford that is already jammed and can't be lengthened, the previous DART is half an hour earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

The 10 minute DART frequency is unneeded and unworkable, it's just an easy headline item that the powers-that-be can point to as 'an investment in public transport' while they dutifully ignore that they canned DART Underground and other meaningful investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

anyone else find the layout of the pdf annoying? trying to figure out the rosslare timetable is a bit of a challenge. maybe its just me. doubt we will get anything to make one jump for joy anyway. the 10 minute dart frequency while welcomed will make this service even slower. oh the joy

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭thomasj

7pm Connolly rosslare
    7.15pm Connolly Sligo

5.15pm Connolly Longford moved to 5.25pm
    5.25pm Connolly maynooth brought forward to 5.15pm

New 3.35pm Connolly Sligo, the 4pm ish will only run Fridays now

Last train to maynooth now 11.13pm monday-saturday. But still too early at 8.52pm Sundays

anyone else find the layout of the pdf annoying? trying to figure out the rosslare timetable is a bit of a challenge. maybe its just me. doubt we will get anything to make one jump for joy anyway. the 10 minute dart frequency while welcomed will make this service even slower

Will most likely affect most services on all routes as everything except Docklands/Pace trains interact with the DART at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

lxflyer wrote: »
    Only that train takes that long - all the others take 2:15. I would assume this is down to having to fit within the increased commuter traffic.

I doubt it's possible to beat that with the constraint of having a 10 minute DART service.

At present the Journey time between he two Cities varies between 1hr57 and 2hr15, the timetable change means a slower service to Belfast on almost all departures.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

GM228 wrote: »
    Will most likely affect most services on all routes as everything except Docklands/Pace trains interact with the DART at some stage.

GM228

Probably why it's one of the best routes IE do, rarely delayed and it has a very decent running time with a consistent timetable.

At present the Journey time between he two Cities varies between 1hr57 and 2hr15, the timetable change means a slower service to Belfast on almost all departures.

I know that, but given the constraints of the existing infrastructure and the desire to operate a 10 minute DART frequency, I don't see how it can be done any faster than in these proposals.

Timings at the southern end will only improve if additional tracks are put in place on the Northern line and that's not very likely in the foreseeable future.

lxflyer wrote: »
    I know that, but given the constraints of the existing infrastructure and the desire to operate a 10 minute DART frequency, I don't see how it can be done any faster than in these proposals.

Timings at the southern end will only improve if additional tracks are put in place on the Northern line and that's not very likely in the foreseeable future.

that doesn't excuse the extra padding - Pearse-Bray was something like 34 minutes when the Dart launched. 30 years later, they've only opened one extra station and it will now be 45 minutes.

loyatemu wrote: »
    that doesn't excuse the extra padding - Pearse-Bray was something like 34 minutes when the Dart launched. 30 years later, they've only opened one extra station and it will now be 45 minutes.

Hang on - I'm only talking about the Enterprise.

I didn't express any opinion on the other services as I've not looked at them in full detail yet.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Some things I noticed

Vastly better balance between Howth and Malahide branches, at least when it comes to departures, the current timetable has a large bias to the Howth branch which causes massive overcrowding on Malahide Darts in the second half of evening peak where there is 30-40 minute gaps between services. At one point, there are two Howths directly before a Malahide, two Howths after, before the next Malahide, and those two Malahides are often leaving people behind.

Northern Commuters appear to stop far less at Portmarnock and Howth Junction whilst the number stopping at Clongriffin have also been cut. However with the increased DART timetable and more regular services to Clongriffin and Portmarnock due to a increased 20 minute frequency, I odn't see this being a real issue.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Decuc500 wrote: »
    That doesn't look good for Darts to Howth/Malahide in evening rush hour. 1 Dart to each location every 20 minutes. If Irish Rail are going to keep putting on 4 carriage darts in evening rush hour (and I've seen nothing to suggest otherwise) it's going to be carnage.

If you are on the Malahide branch the new draft imetable is streets ahead of the current one which has an inherent bias towards the Howth branch, even though the passenger numbers do not back this bias up.

Malahide DARTs are currently every 30 minutes with the 17:54 from Connolly often leaving people behind, the previous Howth Train being full of Malahide/Portmarnock/Clongriffin commuters who have no faith of being able to get ont he 17.54 Malahide, and the next Malahide Dart not being for 40 minutes which also often leaves people behind.

The current timetable in evening peak and over weekends is not fit at all for purpose

What I see play out after 5.30 is as follows

Two Howth trains one after another, which have seats free after Connolly, that have barely enough to fill a single carriage after howth junction between them.

A malahide train that is often leaving people behind at Pearse/Connoll because they can't board, which is still almost full at Howth Junction.

Followed by two more Howth trains one after another, which have seats free after Connolly, that have barely enough to fill a single carriage after howth junction between them.

Then A malahide train that is often leaving people behind at Pearse/Connoll because they can't board, which is still almost full at Howth Junction.

thomasj wrote: »
    7pm Connolly rosslare

is that instead of the current early service or as well as it? good to see a proposed return of the very early service though. always found it handy, and found it decently loaded believe it or not.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They appear to have tweaked a lot of the Docklands services to more realistically match the time currently spent sitting waiting at junctions.

The 16:55 Docklands that always sits for 5mins waiting at Glasnevin has gone to 17:00 and the 17:25 that doesn't have to wait has stayed 17:25. This pleases me greatly - I can often make it there for 17:00 but 16:55 is just a bit of a stretch. 17:55 is back to 17:50 which is also useful for me personally but does leave a bigger gap.

is that instead of the current early service or as well as it? good to see a proposed return of the very early service though. always found it handy, and found it decently loaded believe it or not.

Instead of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭dublindiehard

Nice to see earlier dart on malahide branch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Fairly disappointed that Howth Junction loses out on all commuter trains bar 1 or 2 a day. A great, more reliable, faster (and often less full, even at peak time) alternative to the slew of signal faults and whatever other reasons delay darts every morning. Also lots going in the opposite direction against traffic that'll lose out (or have to change trains once or twice).

I realise that speed is probably the reason, but as it is, non-stops crawl between Raheny and Howth Junction so I doubt much speed is gained.

Also, would add to cynicism about 10 min dart frequency. Useless if trains are 4 carriage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Actually noticed that some Docklands-Maynooth interchange times are pretty woeful now, 17 and 21 mins in the evenings; 9 in the mornings. There's a growing amount of traffic doing this as further businesses open in the North Docks which are a much closer walk to Docklands than Connolly. No reason a Docklands train shouldn't be running halfway between two Maynooth trains rather than running up against one or the other as seems to be the case every time. (yes, I have made a submission rather than just moaning!)

3 minutes later on the last Maynooth train is nothing worth writing home about either; it definitely needs pushing a LOT later by addition of another service.

thomasj wrote: »
    Instead of it
    thought so. that will leave a huge gap in the time table of about 6 hours. not good. anyway i've submitted my feedback so we will wait and see what happens (not holding my breath)

thought so. that will leave a huge gap in the time table of about 6 hours. not good. anyway iI've submitted my feedback so we will wait and see what happens (not holding my breath)

There should be spot prizes for anyone who manages to actually find any difference between the draft and final versions because I very much doubt there will be. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

MrMorooka wrote: »
    The 10 minute DART frequency is unneeded and unworkable, it's just an easy headline item that the powers-that-be can point to as 'an investment in public transport' while they dutifully ignore that they canned DART Underground and other meaningful investment.

Why exactly is it "unneeded"?

Frequency is often the best way to make public transport more desirable and attractive. Better frequency increases people's door-to-door speeds and increases the reliability of a service.

monument wrote: »
    Why exactly is it "unneeded"?

Frequency is often the best way to make public transport more desirable and attractive. Better frequency increases people's door-to-door speeds and increases the reliability of a service.

while i agree in general, in the case of the dart i don't believe the speed will improve with a 10 minute frequency. while i welcome such a frequency in theory, i am rather worried about long distance services which are all ready slow within the dublin area becoming slower, especially those to goarey/wexford/rosslare

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

I think that I've spotted possibly the most useless sequence of DART movements possible within the morning timetable.

There are two services departing from Howth within five minutes of each other: 08.00 and 08.05. The shadow Dart terminates in Dun Laoghaire before running five minutes in front of a DART from Bray at 09.10. It then terminates in Connolly before going off to Fairview presumably.

On a more general note, the ten-minute DART frequency basically strangles every diesel services in or out of Connolly. I can't see the logic behind not switching to 15 minutes between DARTs during off-peak periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭shoehorn

current 08.09 connolly to maynooth express becomes 7.55, with the train to bray leaving after rather than before it (will inevitably hold it up too when it's running late).
    No longer really an 'express' though - takes 46 min to get to connolly in the draft, instead of the current 38! only 2 mins quicker than the bray train scheduled after it!

1505 and 1600 connolly-sligo effectively amalgamated in a new 1535

• Advertisement

16.00 still runs on a friday only 10 minutes later

Advertisement