Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More landlords to sell up over taxes and cost of letting property

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

duskyjoe wrote: »
    Big problem now is that landlords that bought in the boom are now having to pay capital and interest plus no offset of interest against tax
    Apart from the 75% of your interest that you can offset against tax, right?

An asset is not profit until it's sold. You can't do your shopping with the increased equity in an asset or you can't put it in a savings account.
    Actually, you can do your shopping, if you borrow against your equity, as many did - or if you avoid repaying capital to maximise your interest relief and use your 'equity' for current spending, as many do.
    It's only realised when/if it's sold. The business of renting is to make an ongoing profit hopefully after covering all costs including the mortgage.
    Any business can only survive it if offers value to the customers. You need to think about what value you are offering here.

Well it's how I would see how the business should operate and I doubt too many would disagree with me.

Well except those who think LLs are a charity there to provide housing for those who want to rent and shouldn't be making a profit or At a minimum expect their mortgage to be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

An asset is not profit until it's sold. You can't do your shopping with the increased equity in an asset or you can't put it in a savings account.

It's only realised when/if it's sold. The business of renting is to make an ongoing profit hopefully after covering all costs including the mortgage. Selling the property at a later date I would not be taking into account during my day to day operating of the business.

Having an investment property is definitely something I consider having but I wouldn't do it unless I was having my mortgage and all costs completely covered by the rent and preferably I'd be making profit every month on top of that also.

This is of course very difficult to achieve which is why I would only do it if (a) I lived in the place for a few years first and then rented it out when moving to where I planned to stay living for good or (b) the right circumstances (money to invest, low mortgage, fairer tax treatment for LLs etc) meant that it was possible for an ongoing profit (i.e. additional monetary income) to be made every year.

You want positive cash flow for the entire lifetime of the mortgage and then have an extremely valuable asset unemcumbered at the end of it?
    Oh and you want it via a taxpayer subsidy of your adult decision to take on debt.

Sure I'm going to write to my employer to tell him he needs to pay for my petrol to and from work as well as the clothes I wear because I have negative cashflow thanks to my car and home loans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Well it's how I would see how the business should operate and I doubt too many would disagree with me.

Well except those who think LLs are a charity there to provide housing for those who want to rent and shouldn't be making a profit or At a minimum expect their mortgage to be covered.

It's not a charity but the market rate might not cover all you want it to. There's not much you can do about that. Currently it probably would cover it all but it might not always remain that way, especially if supply eventually increases. There is no guarantee that rent will always cover your mortgage repayments. It's an investment and therefore there are risks attached.

• Advertisement

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    It's not a charity but the market rate might not cover all you want it to. There's not much you can do about that. Currently it probably would cover it all but it might not always remain that way, especially if supply eventually increases. There is no guarantee that rent will always cover your mortgage repayments. It's an investment and therefore there are risks attached.

Of course I understand that. There is risk but with proper planning and understanding of where things are and what might happen that can be minimised. But from the outset the aim should be to be in a positive cash flow situation, where as some posters appear think this is not how someone investing in property should expect to operate.

Things may go up and down but someone would be mad to invest in a rental property where from the start they are not covering the mortgage and costs from the rent (obviously accidental LLs are different).
    gaius c wrote: »
    You want positive cash flow for the entire lifetime of the mortgage and then have an extremely valuable asset unemcumbered at the end of it?
    Oh and you want it via a taxpayer subsidy of your adult decision to take on debt.

Yes, that's the idea of it. You appear to have an issue with it though. This is the aim of anyone investing in property.
    Sure I'm going to write to my employer to tell him he needs to pay for my petrol to and from work as well as the clothes I wear because I have negative cashflow thanks to my car and home loans.

I know people who's employer provide fuel cards for private use and also people who get clothes allowances for work clothes. So not really a great example.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Thats called investing. Make no apologies for that. Whats the anger about ?

Nope. It's overleveraged speculators who didn't understand the rules of the game they signed up for.

Consider that cash investors are seriously disadvantaged by such rules. Why should that be the case?
    Every other class of small-time investing requires you to put your own money up front.

I know people who's employer provide fuel cards for private use
    If they do, they pay BIK on this benefit.

• Advertisement

Nope. It's overleveraged speculators who didn't understand the rules of the game they signed up for.

Consider that cash investors are seriously disadvantaged by such rules. Why should that be the case?
    Every other class of small-time investing requires you to put your own money up front.

It does require cash upfront, BTL mortgages require a 30% deposit and if you are plan to rent out the house you are living in and buy another you are no longer a FTB so you require 20% cash upfront for your next house.

So yes considerable cash up front is required, most likely just as much cash as that which people invest in other things.

Also LLs fulfil a vital role in providing housing so it's a bit different to buying shares etc.
    <MOD SNIP >

Pension funds get a tax break

You can invest in stocks using CFD

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

It does require cash upfront, BTL mortgages require a 30% deposit and if you are plan to rent out the house you are living in and buy another you are no longer a FTB so you require 20% cash upfront for your next house.

So yes considerable cash up front is required, most likely just as much cash as that which people invest in other things.

This is just pie in the sky stuff and I say this as a LL. You think the Government should allow capital repayments as a deductible againts Rental Income? Paying you to borrow money in essence, its just never going to happen.

At most, we should be looking to get 100% of Mortgage Interest as a tax relief and LPT as a tax deductible. These I think are sensible suggestions, which should help out landlords and reduce the tax burden

Blured wrote: »
    At most, we should be looking to get 100% of Mortgage Interest as a tax relief and LPT as a tax deductible. These I think are sensible suggestions, which should help out landlords and reduce the tax burden

These would both be a big step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Thats called investing. Make no apologies for that. Whats the anger about ?

Those who normally invest are aware of this risk of losing money. BTL "investors" from the celtic tiger era are not willing to except that. Someone has to except the loss and it won't be the banks. This IMO is leading to a sortage of stock as BTL "investors" cling on to dream but reality will have to be faced at some stage.

Those who normally invest are aware of this risk of losing money. BTL "investors" from the celtic tiger era are not willing to except that. Someone has to except the loss and it won't be the banks. This IMO is leading to a sortage of stock as BTL "investors" cling on to dream but reality will have to be faced at some stage.

Its not that. Now with prices as they are confirmed in daft report its not and investment to ne made now for BTL investors. With high taxes and mortgage payments higher than rent its not an investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Its not that. Now with prices as they are confirmed in daft report its not and investment to ne made now for BTL investors. With high taxes and mortgage payments higher than rent its not an investment.

Plus the fear that there will be further market interference by government in the form of extensions to rent controls, or whatever other brainwave Alan Kelly comes up with next.

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Plus the fear that there will be further market interference by government in the form of extensions to rent controls, or whatever other brainwave Alan Kelly comes up with next.

Just for curiousity - do you consider the €400m spend on rent supplements that goes to landlords to be 'market interference by government'?
    Blured wrote: »
    I actually wouldn't object to 100% of mortgage interest as tax relief, based on a standard 20 year repayment schedule. I do object to a 100% or indeed 75% for every, which incentives the landlord to stay interest-only on their mortgage and put any spare cash they have on deposit, instead of reducing the capital owed.
    <MOD SNIP >

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

RainyDay wrote: »
    Just for curiousity - do you consider the €500m spend on rent supplements that goes to landlords to be 'market interference by government'?

How much does the state spend on social welfare payments that go to Tesco or the ESB? Does that put up the price of food or electricity?

People who can't otherwise afford the basic necessities of life, including food, fuel and shelter, get payments from the state to assist them. Do you think that private sector landlords should provide social housing free of charge? Maybe rent supplements should be abolished - that would bring down rents, wouldn't it?

Anyway, the point still stands that prospective investors in rental property will be deterred by the government's actions and fears that there may be more in the same vein. Which in turn will reduce the supply of private rental accomodation, which in turn will increase rents . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note:
    This thread isn't about fuel cards. Off topic posts deleted.

• Advertisement

How much does the state spend on social welfare payments that go to Tesco or the ESB? Does that put up the price of food or electricity?
    Yes, that is true - though rent supplement is quite different, as it is solely paid for rent, and the recipient has no control over it. It is money spent by the State entirely to private landlords for rent.

Anyway, the point still stands that prospective investors in rental property will be deterred by the government's actions and fears that there may be more in the same vein. Which in turn will reduce the supply of private rental accomodation, which in turn will increase rents . . .

Yes, you're probably correct to say that individual private investors will be deterred. From what I'm hearing, professional investors - the guys who buy a block, not an apartment - seem to be a bit happier about the direction that things are going. So maybe we'll see a trend towards professional investors instead of amateurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Yes, that is true - though rent supplement is quite different, as it is solely paid for rent, and the recipient has no control over it. It is money spent by the State entirely to private landlords for rent.

Not quite true. Plenty of RA tenants, for some bizarre reason still receive the RA cheque directly and pass it on to the landlord. The last RA tenant I had, the cheque was made out in her name, to lodge and do as she wished with it. Thankfully, she always lodged the rent into my a/c but there's always horror stories about the tenants that don't.

Yes, you're probably correct to say that individual private investors will be deterred. From what I'm hearing, professional investors - the guys who buy a block, not an apartment - seem to be a bit happier about the direction that things are going. So maybe we'll see a trend towards professional investors instead of amateurs.

REITs and the larger scale investors who buy a block will always win. They will effectively control the "market rate" for that block that they own and manage. It will be a part Wal-mart effect, where the smaller investor is squeezed from the market, and while it might streamline rents, it won't stabilize them or make them drop, that is purely dependent on supply. There will be no leeway for late payments (even by a day) and below market rate rents for long term good tenants will cease to exist.

Just for curiousity - do you consider the €400m spend on rent supplements that goes to landlords to be 'market interference by government'?

I actually wouldn't object to 100% of mortgage interest as tax relief, based on a standard 20 year repayment schedule. I do object to a 100% or indeed 75% for every, which incentives the landlord to stay interest-only on their mortgage and put any spare cash they have on deposit, instead of reducing the capital owed.
    <MOD SNIP >

How much of that rent supplement that goes to landlords for providing accomodation to tenants who the government themselves dont want to house actually goes back to the government in tax ?

From a tenants point of view it's very much "be careful what you wish for". They will complain about amateur/greedy landlords or what have you, and think the grass is greener on the other side. More often than not they'll realise that the advantages to having a landlord that only has one or a few properties are far better in the long run. Tenants need to realise that to have a professional management company as your landlord means there's no leeway for negotiations on rent and zero leeway on late payments or withholding rent in lieu of deposit. Professionalism works both ways.

They can only do this;

1) In line with the lease provisions - typically 12 monthly increases before this
    2) If the market will bear it - if there are other blocks in the area at a lower price, they'll soon find themselves out of business.

They can only do this;

1) In line with the lease provisions - typically 12 monthly increases before this
    2) If the market will bear it - if there are other blocks in the area at a lower price, they'll soon find themselves out of business.

But now, thanks to the latest measures, EVERY landlord, big and small will be aware of market rents and the 24 month review. Unless a large supply comes on the market - which in the short to medium term is not going to happen - prices will only go one way. And certainly a REIT is not going to look for lower rents when full occupancy is practically guaranteed.

Personally I think smaller private LLs are much better than faceless corporations renting out lots of places.

If for nothing else its nicer to be dealing with the owner directly than some dogsbody that works for the property company. Its a more relaxed and personal experience. You can build up a relationship with your LL also and this can have advantages.

• Advertisement

[/B]

But now, thanks to the latest measures, EVERY landlord, big and small will be aware of market rents and the 24 month review. Unless a large supply comes on the market - which in the short to medium term is not going to happen - prices will only go one way. And certainly a REIT is not going to look for lower rents when full occupancy is practically guaranteed.
    Personally I think smaller private LLs are much better than faceless corporations renting out lots of places.

If for nothing else its nicer to be dealing with the owner directly than some dogsbody that works for the property company. Its a more relaxed and personal experience. You can build up a relationship with your LL also and this can have advantages.

With the greatest of respect, small private landlords are hardly going to say anything different.

Advertisement