Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MATCH THREAD: Leinster vs Wasps, Sun 15th Nov 2015 13:00, RDS, BTEUR

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

My thoughts on this, my first Leinster fixture of the 15/16 season

1) Not directed at Leinster fans per se, but there is a habit on this forum of underestimating the opposition and overestimating the home team. And then attributing losses to injury (although undoubtedly this affected Leinster). Reading the pre-match posts, and Leinster were going to "dominate from 1 to 10", and Wasps were an average mid-table premiership outfit, with only a handful of tries so far etc. The alternative perspective is that Irish teams fill the top spots in the Pro 12 but don't look remotely like ERC winners so far.

2) I think Reid and Heaslip have got unfair stick. I thought Reid (& Ringrose) looked like the only Leinster backs who might make a break, and I agree with IBF that it was just plain stupid to play McFadden at 13, Kirchner on the wing, and Madigan at 15. Heaslip was industrious but got no help whatsoever from his other 2 loosies (once SOB went off).

3) No pain no gain: it's time to ditch the 35 year olds. Ross, Reddan etc. Thanks, but your time is up. Seriously. Might mean a dip in experience, and a few games lost for silly errors, but the whole of Irish rugby seems to be ageing before my eyes. Just back the likes of Ringrose etc.

4) Sexton has looked quite poor this season (season in the global sense, given this is my first Leinster viewing...), he's a shadow of his former self at the moment. And we all know Madigan has a ceiling, but no-one has the heart to move him along (ideally a stint out of Ireland) and give one of the younger guys more of a shot. I expect Sexton to rebound, Carter was terrible for the Crusaders and he finished out the season quite OK.

5) He's not coming cheap, but Ulster have got a savage signing in Piutau. I still don't understand why he didn't stick around for a RWC winner's medal and a Lions tour before chasing the $$$, but he is enjoyable to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

swiwi_ wrote: »
    My thoughts on this, my first Leinster fixture of the 15/16 season

1) Not directed at Leinster fans per se, but there is a habit on this forum of underestimating the opposition and overestimating the home team. And then attributing losses to injury (although undoubtedly this affected Leinster). Reading the pre-match posts, and Leinster were going to "dominate from 1 to 10", and Wasps were an average mid-table premiership outfit, with only a handful of tries so far etc. The alternative perspective is that Irish teams fill the top spots in the Pro 12 but don't look remotely like ERC winners so far.

2) I think Reid and Heaslip have got unfair stick. I thought Reid (& Ringrose) looked like the only Leinster backs who might make a break, and I agree with IBF that it was just plain stupid to play McFadden at 13, Kirchner on the wing, and Madigan at 15. Heaslip was industrious but got no help whatsoever from his other 2 loosies (once SOB went off).

3) No pain no gain: it's time to ditch the 35 year olds. Ross, Reddan etc. Thanks, but your time is up. Seriously. Might mean a dip in experience, and a few games lost for silly errors, but the whole of Irish rugby seems to be ageing before my eyes. Just back the likes of Ringrose etc.

4) Sexton has looked quite poor this season (season in the global sense, given this is my first Leinster viewing...), he's a shadow of his former self at the moment. And we all know Madigan has a ceiling, but no-one has the heart to move him along (ideally a stint out of Ireland) and give one of the younger guys more of a shot. I expect Sexton to rebound, Carter was terrible for the Crusaders and he finished out the season quite OK.

5) He's not coming cheap, but Ulster have got a savage signing in Piutau. I still don't understand why he didn't stick around for a RWC winner's medal and a Lions tour before chasing the $$$, but he is enjoyable to watch.

Agree with most of that but Reid is deservedly getting stick for his total unwillingness to defend not good enough to be a very decent player going forward but to continuously shirk his defensive responsibilities will see him continuing to get grief from fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭accidentprone1

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Agree with most of that but Reid is deservedly getting stick for his total unwillingness to defend not good enough to be a very decent player going forward but to continuously shirk his defensive responsibilities will see him continuing to get grief from fans.

How exactly did he "shirk his defensive duties"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

I was listening to Second Captains yesterday, Gerry Thornley was questioning why Ruddock and Moore were dropped - surely they were injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I was listening to Second Captains yesterday, Gerry Thornley was questioning why Ruddock and Moore were dropped - surely they were injured?

I assumed so too - I would have thought that Ruddock would have been ideal for that match, and Moore is clearly way ahead of Ross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

vienne86 wrote: »
    I assumed so too - I would have thought that Ruddock would have been ideal for that match, and Moore is clearly way ahead of Moore.
    A very versatile chap alright :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

A very versatile chap alright :D

Oh dear! Well he's way ahead of the other fella!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Furlong is pretty handy too, off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭LostArt

Ruddock wasn't in contact training last week so I presume he's injured. Moore was probably dropped, Furlong has looked more impressive this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

LostArt wrote: »
    Ruddock wasn't in contact training last week so I presume he's injured. Moore was probably dropped, Furlong has looked more impressive this season.

January last year Moore was starting for Leinster ahead of Ross for the first time, under the same forwards coach, I know he got injured, but has he really dropped to third!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

How exactly did he "shirk his defensive duties"?

You think he didn't?
    Look back at the game have a look at how many times he is missing in defence or steps forward at wrong times and hangs McFadden out to dry, Reid for all his attacking talent which is not in question is very poor defensively at the level he is playing, easily the worst in the squad

Advertisement