Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MATCH THREAD: Leinster vs Wasps, Sun 15th Nov 2015 13:00, RDS, BTEUR

Options
  • 14-11-2015 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

MATCH THREAD: Leinster vs Wasps, Sun 15th Nov 2015 13:00, RDS, BTEUR

jptV9Klu.jpg

A NEW BEGINNING?

After the disappointment of the RWC the provinces have had a couple of weeks to rotate the internationals back in. Those going back to Leinster went back to a new coaching set-up looking to play a very different brand of rugby to the previous 2 seasons. And a certain Jonathan Sexton is with them. But how are Leinster fixed heading into the new Champions Cup season? And what can we expect on Sunday?

Since taking over Leo Cullen and his assistants have looked to get Leinster playing a far more expansive game. And in the process have won 5 of their 7 games. While it is great to see a bit of ambition back in this Leinster side though it needs to be tempered with some pragmatism. Leinster have struggled at times to control games and have often had significant periods in games where they struggle to exit their half. Playing exciting offloading rugby is all well and good but sometimes you just need to play territory. Leinster may be guilty of overplaying things a bit this season in that regard.

With Wasps coming to town this weekend, and given the horrible fixture list the home side in the middle of, it is crucial that Leinster get the win. And with a number of injuries Leo has been forced to select a very uninspiring centre partnership which has been the cause of numerous comments already. But the Leinster pack and half-backs are seriously strong. And with the weather forecast suggesting it will be a miserable day that might actually work in our favour.

I haven't actually seen Wasps yet this season, but their stats don't give a huge cause for concern there. 6 tries in 4 games to Leinsters 15 in 7 have them in 8th in the AP. Their outside backs are, on paper at least, very dangerous though. We all know Wade at this stage, but the 2 Kiwis are both capped All Blacks so there is real quality in that back 3. They are missing a few guys from 1 - 10 though. Exactly where Leinster are strongest. Given this and the weather I'd be more than happy to see a much tighter and conservative affair than we've seen the last few weeks.

All that said I have absolutely no idea what to expect from Leinster tomorrow. They could just as easily turn in a great performance or a disjointed one. Internationals that are not overly familiar with the game plan and a few combinations in the backs that aren't too familiar with one another and certainly not an ideal unit are not what Leinster need to implement an offloading game! With the weather looking like it is going to be poor I'm going to back Leinster to win a tight affair by 4 points. But I am nervous.
    368557.png

01. Jack McGrath |01. Matt Mullan
    02. Richardt Strauss|02. Carlo Festuccia
    03. Mike Ross|03. Jake Cooper-Woolley
    04. Devin Toner |04. Joe Launchbury
    05. Mike McCarthy|05. Bradley Davies
    06. Jordi Murphy|06. Sam Jones
    07. Sean O'Brien|07. George Smith
    08. Jamie Heaslip|08. Nathan Hughes
    |
    09. Eoin Reddan|09. Joe Simpson
    10. Johnny Sexton|10. Ruaridh Jackson
    11. Dave Kearney|11. Frank Halai
    12. Noel Reid|12. Ben Jacobs  
    13. Fergus McFadden|13. Elliot Daly
    14. Zane Kirchner|14. Christian Wade
    15. Isa Nacewa|15. Charles Piutau
    |
    16. Sean Cronin|16. Ashley Johnson
    17. Cian Healy|17. Simon McIntyre
    18. Tadhg Furlong|18. Phil Swainston
    19. Hayden Triggs|19. James Gaskell 
    20. Jack Conan|20. Guy Thompson
    21. Luke McGrath|21. Dan Robson
    22. Ian Madigan|22. Alex Lozowski 
    23. Garry Ringrose|23. Sailosi Tagicakibau

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Is that that George Smith?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Triumvirate

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Is that that George Smith?

Tis. I hear he's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Great write up!

How would people see us approaching this, pragmatism would suggest expansive is not the way to go. Though if we go for an Aerial game it would want to be precise, given the strength of their back three. Is our pack likely to gain dominance if we adopt the Munster approach, how strong have Wasps pack been this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Great write up, Molloy!

Weather forecast for tomorrow afternoon is actually not too bad, which will hopefully help the quality of rugby. I will be shocked (and pissed off) if Leinster don't win, but I think it will be tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I'm gonna go out brave and say Leinster by 12-15 points. backing the pack to swat Wasps aside like a... wasp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 The Diamond Sea

wasps by 1-5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

58369107.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Well the weather is shocking again so hopefully that will nullify their back three a bit.

I expect a win here. A loss in unthinkable really, our campaign would be over before it's begun.

Well the weather is shocking again so hopefully that will nullify their back three a bit.

I expect a win here. A loss in unthinkable really, our campaign would be over before it's begun.
    Blowing a gale, but not cold and I bet it'll be dry by lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

vienne86 wrote: »
    Blowing a gale, but not cold and I bet it'll be dry by lunchtime.

The wind will be a problem with lineouts and kicks. Going to be interesting to see how both teams cope.

• Advertisement

The wind will be a problem with lineouts and kicks. Going to be interesting to see how both teams cope.

RDS is tricky for wind at the best of times. Hopefully Leinster's familiarity with the place will give them a signigicant advantage.

• Administrators Posts: 53,567 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This lunchtime kick off business is a nuisance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

nacewa out, madigan starts at full back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

aimee1 wrote: »

Who moves onto the bench?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

NiallBoo wrote: »

Marsh.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

NiallBoo wrote: »

Marsh

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Crap, crap, crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

This makes no sense. We genuinely have half our back line playing out of position.

• Administrators Posts: 53,567 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Oh dear :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

Would have preferred nacewa by some distance. Expect madigan to be targeted with high balls moving in the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭dubal

Will mads take over place kicking?

Dubal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

crisco10 wrote: »
    Would have preferred nacewa by some distance. Expect madigan to be targeted with high balls moving in the wind.

Wouldn't be too worried, he's done fine when playing at full-back before.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

McGrath, Marsh and Ringrose

That must be Leinster's most inexperienced trio of replacement backs in Europe. The weather right now isn't as bad as predicted so hopefully no more injuries during the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Not quite sure why kirchner wasn't shifted to fullback there and we brought in another winger...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭phog

Isa is a huge loss, he attacking ability from FB and his leadership will be sorely missed. I still think Leinster have enough to win the game but looking Isa makes it a tad more difficult.

.ak wrote: »
    Not quite sure why kirchner wasn't shifted to fullback there and we brought in another winger...

The only other options is Ringrose on the wing, Kirch to FB.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭phog

Weather forecast is for dry but windy, very windy weather. At least ye have the pack to keep it tight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The only other options is Ringrose on the wing, Kirch to FB.

Or Kirchener to fb mcfadden to wing either ringrose or oshea to centre too muchh disruption

We are relying on the pack for this one imo

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

phog wrote: »
    Isa is a huge loss, he attacking ability from FB and his leadership will be sorely missed. I still think Leinster have enough to win the game but looking Isa makes it a tad more difficult.

I think our back line looks fairly poor now, especially compared to theirs.

I'm not seeing how we win this tbh.

• Advertisement

Dammit! Isa is a huge loss.

Advertisement