Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stretched earlobes ....horrible

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I Really wish they'd ban dole threads in After Hours. I get it! There's always gonna be lazy b*stards who don't want to work! Fcuk sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

Faith+1 wrote: »
    I Really wish they'd ban dole threads in After Hours. I get it! There's always gonna be lazy b*stards who don't want to work! Fcuk sake.

its not a dole thread
    its a piercing thread
    fool

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

kneemos wrote: »
    Any food manufacturing employer wouldn't allow jewellery of any sort,apart from a plain wedding band.
    Poor practice for a restaurant also,obviously jewellery can harbour germs or end up in food.

Well look man, the restaurant managers didn't seem to have a problem with it. I never wear jewellery when I am working but some people do and until management tell them there's a problem, they're going to wear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

lanos wrote: »
    its not a dole thread
    its a piercing thread
    fool

Maybe you should read what the Op said? The girl was on a show about people on the dole and how is she execpted to get a job?

Fool!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Lots of peoples have piercings and stretchings and work. Also yer one is pretty ****ing good looking

• Advertisement

Mozzeltoff wrote: »
    Well look man, the restaurant managers didn't seem to have a problem with it. I never wear jewellery when I am working but some people do and until management tell them there's a problem, they're going to wear it.

lets try a different approach

2 people equally qualified
    one is clean cut and conventional
    the other is pierced and alternative

who gets the job ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

so you would have nothing useful to advise really

That advice clearly wouldn't be particularly useful to you, understandably because you actually can't speak for anyone as an employer, but yourself.

the fact is that if you look up any job in situations vacant in the newspaper or in the FAS office
    not 1 employer from these sources would hire somebody with piercings such as hers.
    maybe she could get a job in a fish gutting factory.

its hardly a career though.

The fact is that you can't speak for anyone as an employer, but yourself.

your view of the world is a noble one i'll admit but it bears no resemblance to the reality for job seekers.

And for the third time in a row, the fact is, that you can't speak for anyone as an employer, but yourself.

BTW are you pierced?

No I'm not, nor do I have any tattoos. I'm often mistaken for one of those Latter Day Saints crowd because I'm always dressed in a white shirt, black trousers and navy tie (red, if I'm feeling adventurous).

The people I work with to help them gain employment, tunnels would be positively conservative looking by comparison! :D

its not a dole thread
    its a piercing thread
    fool
    Maybe you should read what the Op said? The girl was on a show about people on the dole and how is she execpted to get a job?

Fool!

I am the OP
    :D

BTW - just mentioning the fact that the girl was on the dole doesn't make it a dole thread
    the dole aspect is just incidental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Horrible!

Thing is, I don't mind tattoos (good ones not cheap diy ****e ones), pierced lips etc but those tunnels are disgusting.

Yeah the larger ones are something I genuinely don't like at a deeper gut level than being unaesthetic or trying too hard, somebody could have a massive tattoo of Jedward on their chest and while I know the earlobes thing is way more aesthetically pleasing I'd get much more weirded out by the stretching, have the same reaction to large nose-bones and piercings on the back of the neck and scarification.
    Apparently they stink too. There's a young lad working in a chipper in town who has them and I avoid ordering food from him because they turn my stomach.

I would hazard thats more to do with him being a young lad than a few extra cm of earlobe!
    Links234 wrote: »
    You know what my attitude is? I don't like stretched earlobes, so I didn't get my earlobes stretched. ;)

Your forgetting its as bad cultural appropriation as wearing that Indian Head dress to a festival :p

Personally I think the Asian/African Neck rings will be the next trend (I just need to corner the market on large brass hoops and I will make millions)

understandably because you actually can't speak for anyone as an employer, but yourself.

The fact is that you can't speak for anyone as an employer, but yourself.

And for the third time in a row, the fact is, that you can't speak for anyone as an employer, but yourself.

wow i'll be repeating that in my sleep later
    thanks for the compelling argument

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

The girl expresses herself through her 'look'. She clearly stated she self harmed and was suicidal at times. She worked in that gaming shop in the previous episode but they didn't give her enough hours. How she chooses to look has nothing to do with her ability or drive to be employed. Maybe stop judging people who are clearly vulnerable and putting themselves out there on TV to showcase MH issues and cop on. Also calling other posters fools is a bit much to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I am the OP
    :D

BTW - just mentioning the fact that the girl was on the dole doesn't make it a dole thread
    the dole aspect is just incidental

However you were insinuating that nobody would want to employ her, ergo she will be on the dole. Otherwise why mention the programme at all?

Kovu wrote: »
    Otherwise why mention the programme at all?

because it was on as I made the post

its not a dole thread
    its a piercing thread
    fool
    eternal wrote: »
    Also calling other posters fools is a bit much to be fair.

the term fool is pretty tame and positively harmless on After Hours
    and it was in response to a poster who effectively dismissed the participants of the TV show as 'lazy b*stards'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

the term fool is pretty tame and positively harmless on After Hours
    and it was in response to a poster who effectively dismissed the participants of the TV show as 'lazy b*stards'

You dismissed the entire point of my argument therefore making you unable to converse. Goodnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,614 ✭✭✭Mozzeltoff

lets try a different approach

2 people equally qualified
    one is clean cut and conventional
    the other is pierced and alternative

who gets the job ?

Which ever has the most hands on experience and is capable of doing the tasks that are required of them.

The Chef De Partie was above me. He had them in. Obviously he got a job because of his skills as a chef. Not his ear lobes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

eternal wrote: »
    The girl expresses herself through her 'look'. She clearly stated she self harmed and was suicidal at times

You see thats a more interesting conversation than the employment one (good bosses will care who gets the work done best, bad bosses will judge you for carrying in a cup of coffee in the morning :pac: )
    By that I mean serious body modification and self harm, I'm fairly sensitive abut this since I'm close to people that have self harmed in the past but why is pretty severe and in some cases painful body art/modification considered "ok" while the other considered an incredibly worrying sign (I'm not minimizing self harm issues here but wondering why its not ok/PC to consider the former a warning sign of issues)

I have stretched earlobes (admittedly only 10mm) , tattoos and piercings. Never had any trouble with them at work.
    Because if I said 00 gauge, a lot of people wouldn't know what I was on about. The actual size of the plug/tunnel can also vary between 9-10mm depending on the manufacturer as well. Usually ones which are made in Europe are in mm & US ones in inches.
    its not a dole thread
    its a piercing thread
    fool
    However you were insinuating that nobody would want to employ her, ergo she will be on the dole. Otherwise why mention the programme at all?

why are you backing up Faith +1 that it is a dole thread
    its a piercing thread and more specifically about stretched lobes
    and that's why you are posting because you have stretched lobes too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Don't get me wrong now but my tattoos are intimate. I've attempted piercings, but I was too much of a wuss with not enough stretchy skin.

why are you backing up Faith +1 that it is a dole thread
    its a piercing thread and more specifically about stretched lobes
    and that's why you are posting because you have stretched lobes too

I was reiterating the point that people who have body mods can have respectable jobs, arguing your statement of ''how does this girl expect anybody to employ her''

You could have just said you were watching a programme on tv and noticed a girl had stretched lobes, instead of insinuating that she was unemployable and should just give up looking for a job.

• Advertisement

You could have just said you were watching a programme on tv and noticed a girl had stretched lobes, instead of insinuating that she was unemployable and should just give up looking for a job.

yes I could I suppose
    I was a bit annoyed at Faith+1's attitude that dole threads should be banned.
    the thread was more than that.

and I still say that the chance of employment with visible body art/modifications such as facial tattoos, piercings or lobe stretching will greatly reduce the chances of employment in today's competitive environment and render an unskilled person virtually unemployable.

and actually when I was watching the program, while the girl was confiding that she really wanted to be normal.
    I was actually speaking to the TV saying:
    well then get yourself in front of a mirror girl and remove all that crap

• Registered Users Posts: 20,417 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I immediately think doper anytime I see those earlobes.

and I still say that the chance of employment with visible body art/modifications such as facial tattoos, piercings or lobe stretching will greatly reduce the chances of employment in today's competitive environment and render an unskilled person virtually unemployable.

Well that is understandable. I would never get a facial tattoo for example, however I do not think piercings and visible tattoos should hinder the job selection process in any way. Instead of encouraging the thought process that leads people with body mods to think they should/can not apply for certain jobs, employers could learn to accept a certain amount of them. A much better scenario for all would you not think? Employers currently may miss out on excellent candidates because of first impressions and potential employees may not believe they are even eligible to apply for a position because of previous bad encounters at interviews or in a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

yes I could I suppose
    I was a bit annoyed at Faith+1's attitude that dole threads should be banned.
    the thread was more than that.

and actually when I was watching the program, while the girl was confiding that she really wanted to be normal.
    I was actually speaking to the TV saying:
    well then get yourself in front of a mirror girl and remove all that crap

You come across like a 60 year old from Leitrim.

Horrible.

Oh you stretch your earlobes like tribal folk in Papua New Guinea? And you have a tattoo in Sanskrit? Oh like you must be so interesting, how different, there's only millions and millions of kids like you.

Thankfully in my day it was Levi's 501s. Which you could dump once the fad was over.

You come across like a 60 year old from Leitrim.

Ah now, that's a bit harsh ;) I know many 60+ year old people from Leitrim who don't pass any bother on that kind of thing. I'd get far more slagging from them if I was orange from fake tan, that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

Why are taxpayers paying for this stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭The Dogs Bollix

Why are taxpayers paying for this stuff?

Oh you mean the job she had before?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I like them, always have since I was younger. OH currently has hers at just over 25mm.

Seems to be a big trend these days but there will be a lot of regrets among kids who jumped on the bandwagon in a few years imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭The Dogs Bollix

Could be worse things to do to your body. I think this is the worst.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XrHgAqkPSQE

Advertisement