Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reality Bites: The Gun Show (Documentary series RTE 2 21:30, Thursday 12th Nov)

Options
  • 12-11-2015 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭

Documentary starting now on RTE 2. Will be on the Player from tomorrow morning. Transform is on it, interested to see what's in it...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Having Gains in your surname must be class for a PT, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Has Transform managed to keep his top on?

JJayoo wrote: »

Yeah but on the Player I think he takes it off and makes the pecs dance

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He did, but his guns were fully on show!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Documentary starting now on RTE 2. Will be on the Player from tomorrow morning. Transform is on it, interested to see what's in it...

And is repeated sat night @ 11

• Advertisement

Bazookas, tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Shut up airhead

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

What's this all about? And who else is on it?

Why does everyone on this show have herpies?

Hanley wrote: »
    What's this all about? And who else is on it?

Lad who I think was one half of Joe-and-Keith on Spin then Phantom sets about a 16-week transformation with a chap called Stephen Kenny-Gains as his PT. Talks to 3 other punters doing something similar, talks to Philly McMahon, Andy Cullen about supplements, DM about steroids, Daniel Davey about food....and then I had to record

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Very optimistic PT in galway 8% me hole!

The lad selling the supplements forgot head day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

How is it RTE use untrained looking man child 'fitness experts' like Karl Henry when you have guys like Dominic Munnelly running around the place that are walking proof that they know what they're on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Reps4jesus

All of those fat percentage estimates were unbelievably generous to say the least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

I had to double check it was transform , wouldn't recognise him with his top on.

Yer man's wife looked impressed at the photo shoot at the end...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Watched it last night purely to watch the cringe from some 'experts' and I wasn't disappointed.

Bodyfat% estimates were way off, the bald guy talked some crap giving out about people who look for gyms on holiday and seemed to think it's impossible for people to enjoy training and it's bad if you don't like going a week without it and how that lad at the end was a male model is beyond me. I know he's not looking to be phil heath, but the guy didn't look well conditioned and he had no chest.

There were some good things in it though and the discussion of steroids was a big plus imo. I think there should be more awareness of the dangers of taking gear done by the media, without some of the bullsh*t that comes with it of course.

One of the first ports of call should have been to show him you don't need to eat just chicken all the time. They spent too much time on the stereotype and not enough time addressing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

One of the first ports of call should have been to show him you don't need to eat just chicken all the time. They spent too much time on the stereotype and not enough time addressing them.

It's like eggs, pork, steak, milk, peanut butter, fish or nuts don't even exist.

There was also an all-or-nothing approach given to diets, where you're either eating chicken and veg all day or it's chipper 24/7. There was no mention of tracking calories and macros and that even the most shredded bodybuilders eat fast food from time to time.

It's like eggs, pork, steak, milk, peanut butter, fish or nuts don't even exist.

There was also an all-or-nothing approach given to diets, where you're either eating chicken and veg all day or it's chipper 24/7. There was no mention of tracking calories and macros and that even the most shredded bodybuilders eat fast food from time to time.

There was the guts of something useful there. They did at least try to show that there's more to eating well than chicken and broccoli but they persevered with that for too long. And the steroids section was good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Must have a look at this cheers. Haven't eaten chicken in 12 years, sounds like I'll never have muscles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I also thought the psychologist lad was talking sh1te when he said the muscular build became popular in the 80s cos men didn't want to look like they had AIDS. If men started bodybuilding in that era, I would have assumed he would have used the 80s action movies as a reference point instead of a reaction to something so negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

well played sir

The lad selling the supplements forgot head day
    he remembered mascara day though!

How is it RTE use untrained looking man child 'fitness experts' like Karl Henry when you have guys like Dominic Munnelly running around the place that are walking proof that they know what they're on about?

Sorry a bit late to the party on this thread -

cheers dude and BTW ive been interviewed twice for said weight loss show and nothing came of it both times.

Turned down other shows as i wouldnt have been given control on what i wanted to do and didnt want to be a puppet for them

arayess wrote: »
    I had to double check it was transform , wouldn't recognise him with his top on.
    the shirtless stuff got edited out :((

Watched it last night purely to watch the cringe from some 'experts' and I wasn't disappointed.

Bodyfat% estimates were way off, the bald guy talked some crap giving out about people who look for gyms on holiday and seemed to think it's impossible for people to enjoy training and it's bad if you don't like going a week without it and how that lad at the end was a male model is beyond me. I know he's not looking to be phil heath, but the guy didn't look well conditioned and he had no chest.

There were some good things in it though and the discussion of steroids was a big plus imo. I think there should be more awareness of the dangers of taking gear done by the media, without some of the bullsh*t that comes with it of course.
    BTW my piece was a 30mins interview to camera that got cut to 60secs but hey you get what you get

agreed he made it seem very miserable and a few of our clients even commented on that as that hasnt been their experience. old school body building i think

Bs1SJq6CMAAKGtb.jpg

I also thought the psychologist lad was talking sh1te when he said the muscular build became popular in the 80s cos men didn't want to look like they had AIDS. If men started bodybuilding in that era, I would have assumed he would have used the 80s action movies as a reference point instead of a reaction to something so negative.
    not to mention the obese doctor talking about the dangers of steroids.

• Advertisement

Transform wrote: »
    the shirtless stuff got edited out :((

Tbh, I'm surprised there was anything left after the shirtless stuff was cut.

Advertisement