Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 snatch 6 Nations coverage from 2018

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Cutting away right after games was infuriating especially after huge wins like japan over rsa.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

MOH wrote: »
    I loathe RTE and resent every cent they get from me. Their rugby coverage was the only thing I've watched on their shoddy excuse for a TV station over the past five years. Because it's about the only thing they do well.

Every rugby fan I know hated the TV3 coverage.

As England were lining up their conversion against Australia, TV3 were comparing it against the decision to kick for touch the week before. :eek:

They were clueless beyond belief, frequently had no idea what was actually happening on the pitch, and punctuated their match commentary with inane nonsense.

"Steve Hansen there, always looks like he's popped in on the way to a funeral" - as he's stepping onto the podium after winning the world cup.
    There's Creevy. His nicknames Sonny Bill; which might seem a bit ironic at the moment. That isn't inane. It is brilliant.
    Anyway why can't Hansen effing smile?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Anything that stops Ryle Nugent commentating is a good thing.

Not really when the alternative is Conor McNamara. Nugent at least has half a clue about the laws of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

As long as they lock up Liam Tolan (think it was him) and make sure he never on rugby again i be happy. Al the time talking about rewinds reverse rewinds???? I was close to wanting to grabing a weapon and go look for him.

The ads are hotendous but the land rover was the sponser and had to have its time and every other channel from RTE TV3 BBC ITV SKY and BT sports are the same.

I wonder are the ones on here talking about RTE been good the same who moan about Dubphy Hook on threads here on game nights

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Very disappointing that RTE have lost the coverage especially to a smaller tv network.
    From what i understand TV3 are going to carry this as a loss leader in the hope of getting more regular viewers. The sums involved made no financial sense and am disappointed RTE did not think outside the box on this one.

TV3 are HD on sky and id imagine its in the plans to go HD on SAORVIEW eventually. The bigger TV3 get the more sports they are going to bid for. The lack of foresight from RTE is staggering.

You are probably correct that this is the thinking behind them forking over the money..

But how many people do they seriously think will tune in for Ireland vs England in the 6 Nations and then say when the game is over "Deadly , Britains worst plumber is on next , what a perfect follow on from an exciting Six Nations fixture!!"

Whilst they will gain viewers for the duration of the games and will be able to charge a premium for the advertising just as they did through the RWC, I cannot see them gaining any significant additional regular viewers..

Rugby on TV3 is not a "halo product" that will win them more market share.

Therefore , in order to cover the significant outlay they'll have to tear the arse out of the adverts (as they did in the RWC) and as a result will ruin the experience for everyone , further reducing the chances of them gaining new regular viewers.

Just can't see this being a long-term financial winner for them to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The anger in this thread :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

As long as they lock up Liam Tolan (think it was him) and make sure he never on rugby again i be happy. Al the time talking about rewinds reverse rewinds???? I was close to wanting to grabing a weapon and go look for him.

The ads are hotendous but the land rover was the sponser and had to have its time and every other channel from RTE TV3 BBC ITV SKY and BT sports are the same.

I wonder are the ones on here talking about RTE been good the same who moan about Dubphy Hook on threads here on game nights

You do realise that there are no adverts on the BBC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Therefore , in order to cover the significant outlay they'll have to tear the arse out of the adverts (as they did in the RWC) and as a result will ruin the experience for everyone , further reducing the chances of them gaining new regular viewers.

If they double or triple the cost of the advertising slots from the RWC and then correspondingly cut the number of adverts by half, they might have a chance. That way, viewers would be happier and the advertisers would have a better chance of people actually watching their messages.

I've actually been surprised by the number of people I know who have mentioned this to me over the last few days. Not being Irish, I have no attachment to any particular TV station, nor do I really care about the commentary. Couldn't tell you who is good, bad or otherwise.

I basically just shrugged my shoulders and said "It's still free to air, what's the big deal?". I'm clearly missing something.

Edit: I should note, the only thing that annoys me is the picture quality on TV3, but I'm guessing/hoping this won't still be an issue when they take over.

Banjoxed wrote: »
    You do realise that there are no adverts on the BBC?

Never actual occured to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Basil3 wrote: »
    I've actually been surprised by the number of people I know who have mentioned this to me over the last few days. Not being Irish, I have no attachment to any particular TV station, nor do I really care about the commentary. Couldn't tell you who is good, bad or otherwise.

I basically just shrugged my shoulders and said "It's still free to air, what's the big deal?". I'm clearly missing something.

Edit: I should note, the only thing that annoys me is the picture quality on TV3, but I'm guessing/hoping this won't still be an issue when they take over.

We all hoped the same when the world cup was awarded to them. But they are just stingy when it comes to saorview. The cost of going HC is an extra 200k to 300k on top of what they are paying for SD on saorview since they only need to have one feed for both SD and HD tvs.

I wouldnt hold your breath of Tv3 HD on saorview. TG4 have been HD on UPC/Virgin for the last couple of years as part of a supposed "trial" and they are still only SD on saorview

Think Ill stick to my satellite dish but will miss ROG's blunt punditry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Never sctual occured to me

:O Slightly amazed at that.

Banjoxed wrote: »
    :O Slightly amazed at that.

Why

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Why

I would say it's because it's unusual for someone not to have watched BBC at some point in their lives and noticed the absence of ads.

Popular programmes* like Top Gear, Doctor Who, Six Nations matches, The Open Golf etc. are all on the BBC.

*They're just off the top of my head.

I would say it's because it's unusual for someone not to have watched BBC at some point in their lives and noticed the absence of ads.

Popular programmes* like Top Gear, Doctor Who, Six Nations matches, The Open Golf etc. are all on the BBC.

*They're just off the top of my head.

True I suppose especially as I watch all those Top Gear and Doctor Who. In relation to matches I normally go out at half time and make tea go to the toilet and all that

Cutting away right after games was infuriating especially after huge wins like japan over rsa.

I totally agree but I say that was not in TV3 control UTV did the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I totally agree but I say that was not in TV3 control UTV did the same.

Somehow ITV were a bit more smooth about it, but yes, they had a lot of ads too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Where is the licence fee going.

Almost 2,000 staff in RTE, with some on mega bucks plus several thousand drawing a pension from it. The RTE Orchestra operation alone is 220 staff, which is more than Channel 4's entire workforce alone.

Also the waste in RTE can be astonishing. I remember hearing last year that Fair City were filming a fight scene between two characters. So the costume person went out and bought 3 brand new suits for each of the two characters fighting. She was on record saying she bought 3 suits "in case two of them ripped during the fight scene". Eh, hello, surely a ripped suit would make a fight scene look more realistic? Not in RTE la-la land when you're spending blank taxpayer cheques

Mcnamara was unbearable. Tonerrrrr! Sextonnnn! Here's heaslipppp!. Arghhhhhh.

To posters saying keith wood was good are you mad? I watched his videos for betfair as well as his tv3 stuff and he was usually spectacularly wrong in his analysis.

McNamara has to go, he commentates as if it is an Italian football game with slow patient build ups. He's not a rugby commentator at all IMO. I like Stuart Barnes though, he knows the game inside out and is quite witty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,347 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Muahahaha wrote: »

Also the waste in RTE can be astonishing. I remember hearing last year that Fair City were filming a fight scene between two characters. So the costume person went out and bought 3 brand new suits for each of the two characters fighting. She was on record saying she bought 3 suits "in case two of them ripped during the fight scene". Eh, hello, surely a ripped suit would make a fight scene look more realistic? Not in RTE la-la land when you're spending blank taxpayer cheques

Presumably more than one take would be needed to perfect the fight scene, and the suits need to be pristine at the start of each take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

I love how people bitch about RTE wasting money, but also want them to get into a bidding war with a private company over the 6 Nations.

That orchestra comment cracked me up. They tend to require a fair amount of people alright. Plus the obligatory made-up stat to follow.

According to the Sunday Times, RTE bid €16 million, a 30% increase on their current payment, but nowhere near the €24 million bid from TV3.

Those figures should end all debate, no way RTE should have tried to compete. Anything else is just mindless RTE-bashing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I love how people bitch about RTE wasting money, but also want them to get into a bidding war with a private company over the 6 Nations.

Are you saying RTE don't waste money or something? Pretty bizarre comment given the size of their staff compared to their output. Channel 4 in the UK have about 90% less staff than RTE yet the TV they produce is much superior, in news, film and comedy. C4 commissioned the most successful Irish comedy ever, despite having only 10% of RTE's staff numbers. Says it all about how pathetic RTE are really in comparison to much smaller and leaner outfits.
    That orchestra comment cracked me up. They tend to require a fair amount of people alright. Plus the obligatory made-up stat to follow.

Do you work in the RTE Orchestra or something? Because last time I saw them I counted 70 musicians on stage, not the 220 odd people that RTE employ. Not only that the vast majority of TV license payers in this country have never seen them perform live because they somehow see themselves as above playing in small venues around the country. They're a waste of public money if they just perform year round in Dublin for wealthy audiences and as long as I've known them that's pretty much all they do. That and going 'on tour' at vast expense to the taxpayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Are you saying RTE don't waste money or something? Pretty bizarre comment given the size of their staff compared to their output. Channel 4 in the UK have about 90% less staff than RTE yet the TV they produce is much superior, in news, film and comedy. C4 commissioned the most successful Irish comedy ever, despite having only 10% of RTE's staff numbers. Says it all about how pathetic RTE are really in comparison to much smaller and leaner outfits.

Do you work in the RTE Orchestra or something? Because last time I saw them I counted 70 musicians on stage, not the 220 odd people that RTE employ. Not only that the vast majority of TV license payers in this country have never seen them perform live because they somehow see themselves as above playing in small venues around the country. They're a waste of public money if they just perform year round in Dublin for wealthy audiences and as long as I've known them that's pretty much all they do. That and going 'on tour' at vast expense to the taxpayer.

This post is riddled with factual errors, blatant ignorance, twisted logic but more importantly, doesn't contain the word "rugby" once.

Advertisement