Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 snatch 6 Nations coverage from 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Very disappointing that RTE have lost the coverage especially to a smaller tv network.
    From what i understand TV3 are going to carry this as a loss leader in the hope of getting more regular viewers. The sums involved made no financial sense and am disappointed RTE did not think outside the box on this one.

TV3 are HD on sky and id imagine its in the plans to go HD on SAORVIEW eventually. The bigger TV3 get the more sports they are going to bid for. The lack of foresight from RTE is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Anything that stops Ryle Nugent commentating is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

No, what I am saying is that he did not manage his limited budget effectively to provide coverage of essential viewing. Would you rather watch Irl v Wal in 6 nations or Louth v Monaghan in football qualifier ? If he overpaid for GAA, then he did not leave enough in the budget for what should have been one of his top priorities, so he should go. It was a failure in resource management.

While a lot of the exact information you are looking for is not available, it is possible to glean certain facts from the numbers.

In the last major GAA TV deal BEFORE sky got involved, it was estimated that the GAA got €10 million for that package. This includes overseas rights as well, and TV3 getting a few matches, but RTE had 31 out of 40 matches televised. You could conservatively estimate that RTE paid between 6-8 million for the rights, for 3 years. So it possible they paid 2-2.6 million every year (I could be way out here, just guessing). I think it would have been more with the last rights sale, so I would guess €3 million for the rights for the matches they got.

RTE try to make back a lot of this from advertising - €115,000 for ten 30secs spots during the championship season. Sell 30 of these packages and they are quids in.

Last time around for the rugby, RTE got the rights for €2.5 million per year. 15 matches to make back €2.5 million through advertising per year. TV3 just paid €3.3 million per year (according to reports) for the 6 nations.

Management looked at what they could make back from advertising and decided on a figure that Nugent had to play with. TV3 trumped them, that is all. Nothing Nugent could do I feel. RTE would have looked at the expected drop off to BBC for competing games and decided on a max number that they could afford. TV3 either do not care about this and are over spending for prestige, or have overestimated the amount of cash they will get back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Very disappointing that RTE have lost the coverage especially to a smaller tv network.
    From what i understand TV3 are going to carry this as a loss leader in the hope of getting more regular viewers. The sums involved made no financial sense and am disappointed RTE did not think outside the box on this one.

TV3 are HD on sky and id imagine its in the plans to go HD on SAORVIEW eventually. The bigger TV3 get the more sports they are going to bid for. The lack of foresight from RTE is staggering.

So what are you suggesting? You acknowledge that TV3 bid too much money, but RTE should have bid even more??

Seriously, I know people are disappointed but some of this is just bananas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

What exactly about RTE's coverage are people going to miss? Not a fan of TV3 either but it's not like RTE set a really high standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

matthew8 wrote: »
    What exactly about RTE's coverage are people going to miss?

HD picture / less adverts

Off to BBC / ITV with me, as SD TV3 is worse than a Stream off the Internet

matthew8 wrote: »
    What exactly about RTE's coverage are people going to miss? Not a fan of TV3 either but it's not like RTE set a really high standard.

Compared to TV3's coverage of the RWC, RTE is viewed as the best thing ever. TV3 have to improve. It is subjective, but the fact that their Champions League coverage is still poor after many years does not bode well for the rugby.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

irishash wrote: »
    Compared to TV3's coverage of the RWC, RTE is viewed as the best thing ever. TV3 have to improve. It is subjective, but the fact that their Champions League coverage is still poor after many years does not bode well for the rugby.
    The Rugby commentary on TV3 (during the game was streets ahead of RTE).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

kingtiger wrote: »
    HD picture / less adverts

Off to BBC / ITV with me, as SD TV3 is worse than a Stream off the Internet
    It took you this long to move to BBC? I've been watching that coverage since Fred Cogley left RTE.

kidneyfan wrote: »

For me, Stuart Barnes was good, but the rest were from the Ryle Nugent school of commentating rubgy like you learned about it from a book.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

irishash wrote: »
    For me, Stuart Barnes was good, but the rest were from the Ryle Nugent school of commentating rubgy like you learned about it from a book.
    Stuart Barnes made up for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

Stuart Barnes made up for everything.

it's not a given though that Barnes will be involved in their 6 Nations coverage, although I see no reason why he couldn't be, Conor McNamara is an atrocious commentator, it says it all when I'd prefer to listen to Nugent, given I wouldn't be his biggest fan.

Another aspect of this deal that does worry me is the likelihood of TV3 being the host broadcaster for the Ireland games, it's one thing taking the host broadcaster feed for the world cup games they had, it's a different thing altogether when you're producing it yourself. They've little track record full stop when it comes to producing their own sport, bar the GAA rights they had.

Hopefully they use Dave McIntyre instead of Conor McNamara, who fingers crossed will have to do radio work for the BBC on the football or even the rugby.

They have to do something about Cooper as well, that is the one upside though of the endless ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

The licence fee never went on Six Nations.
    Yes it did. RTE bid for the six nations but lost out to TV3. Where do you think that bid money came from? While advertisement money was certainly part of it, license fee money is integral to the operation of RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

It wasn't. That conor mcnamara lad doesn't even understand the most basic rules of rugby. Terrible to have to listen to a commentator who hasn't got the slightest clue as to what is happening on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

Comment of the thread so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

mfceiling wrote: »
    It wasn't. That conor mcnamara lad doesn't even understand the most basic rules of rugby. Terrible to have to listen to a commentator who hasn't got the slightest clue as to what is happening on the field.

Quite so, at times it came across to me that he was using a style more suited to presenting the Oscars..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Mcnamara was unbearable. Tonerrrrr! Sextonnnn! Here's heaslipppp!. Arghhhhhh.

To posters saying keith wood was good are you mad? I watched his videos for betfair as well as his tv3 stuff and he was usually spectacularly wrong in his analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The Irish Times have put a figure of €22 million euro for TV3 paying for the rights of the 6 Nations. That is roughly €5.5 million a year for the next 4 years. That is a staggering amount for it to be competing against RTE for a few weeks of sport to be shown during the spring.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/tv3-s-extra-financial-muscle-blasts-rt%C3%A9-aside-to-take-six-nations-from-2018-1.2426366

It is safe to say then that TV3 have vastly overpaid their share of money for broadcasting this tournament. Absolutely staggering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

The Six Nations operating body must be loving this.

With the new BBC & ITV money their pot has never been bigger. Six Nations is generating crazy amounts of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

The Irish Times have put a figure of €22 million euro for TV3 paying for the rights of the 6 Nations. That is roughly €5.5 million a year for the next 4 years. That is a staggering amount for it to be competing against RTE for a few weeks of sport to be shown during the spring.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/tv3-s-extra-financial-muscle-blasts-rt%C3%A9-aside-to-take-six-nations-from-2018-1.2426366

It is safe to say then that TV3 have vastly overpaid their share of money for broadcasting this tournament. Absolutely staggering.

That is some amount of money. I know tv3 have rich owners now but how is this model of bidding prices going to be sustainable in the future.

I bet sky will get the next offering whenever it comes along.

Still bet sky didn't have to pay anything near that for The Rugby Championship rights and that is a better competition no offense.

Money is running riot in the northern hemisphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

That is some amount of money. I know tv3 have rich owners now but how is this model of bidding prices going to be sustainable in the future.

I bet sky will get the next offering whenever it comes along.

Still bet sky didn't have to pay anything near that for The Rugby Championship rights and that is a better competition no offense.

Money is running riot in the northern hemisphere.

Sky would have the rights to the six nations by now except for two reasons:

1- The organisers have said that they want it to be on free to air.

2- Sky had the highest bid, however BBC managed to get ITV to join in their bid and win it just before sky got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

On that note Re:Sky.

The indo (in my phrasing btw) said Sky Ireland submitted a submission to DCERN that noted the 6 Nations Championship should be put exclusively on a Pay TV basis as it would hurt competition while giving the rights to terrestrial broadcasters.

They the right to submit that now but my god what gave the bloody cheek of them to say that to us the viewing public most of which are paying the Licence fee who want an expectation to have some decent sport for free in this country.

Sky's behaviour in Ireland is nothing short of disgraceful in the manner they treat their customers. It doesn't pain me to say that I'm glad I am not with them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Sky are a commercial outfit, they owe the general viewing public nothing, only their subscribers, and most importantly, shareholders. They're treating Ireland no worse than other regions they operate in, they simply go where there's money to be made.

On that note Re:Sky.

The indo (in my phrasing btw) said Sky Ireland submitted a submission to DCERN that noted the 6 Nations Championship should be put exclusively on a Pay TV basis as it would hurt competition while giving the rights to terrestrial broadcasters.

They the right to submit that now but my god what gave the bloody cheek of them to say that to us the viewing public most of which are paying the Licence fee who want an expectation to have some decent sport for free in this country.

Sky's behaviour in Ireland is nothing short of disgraceful in the manner they treat their customers. It doesn't pain me to say that I'm glad I am not with them at all.

Sky TV will hopefully be a thing of the past once everybody is streaming.

Where do you think most of the streams come from, and for how many years do you think they've already been doing it?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Where do you think most of the streams come from, and for how many years do you think they've already been doing it?

What are you talking about? Netflix, Hulu and Amazon have nothing to do with sky...

Illegal streaming. And out of those companies only Netflix operate in Ireland and are at the moment not interested in getting involved in live sport. If they ever do, do you think Sky or BT won't adjust their business models? Sky as is already stream, I'm sure BT do too.

Are you deluded enough to think that any other company with the rights would broadcast or stream for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,102 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Illegal streaming. And out of those companies only Netflix operate in Ireland and are at the moment not interested in getting involved in live sport. If they ever do, do you think Sky or BT won't adjust their business models? Sky as is already stream, I'm sure BT do too.

Are you deluded enough to think that any other company with the rights would broadcast or stream for free?
    Exactly.

All that will happen is that the premium content will be available at a price on a online platform.

Personally speaking I am at the stage of my life that I have started paying for official online sports (NFL and MLB), I got tired of hunting the Internet every Sunday evening trying to find decent NFL streams.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I gave up on free stream along time ago
    The quality is abysmal and not worth the time and effort it takes to find a decent one which is probably still blurry and may well stop at vital moments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I loathe RTE and resent every cent they get from me. Their rugby coverage was the only thing I've watched on their shoddy excuse for a TV station over the past five years. Because it's about the only thing they do well.

Every rugby fan I know hated the TV3 coverage.

As England were lining up their conversion against Australia, TV3 were comparing it against the decision to kick for touch the week before. :eek:

They were clueless beyond belief, frequently had no idea what was actually happening on the pitch, and punctuated their match commentary with inane nonsense.

"Steve Hansen there, always looks like he's popped in on the way to a funeral" - as he's stepping onto the podium after winning the world cup.

Advertisement