Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I'll happily take the train but, hang on I can't... I'd take the ferry but isn't exactly clean either.

Given EI struggles to track me in AerClub...

The real problem is business and first class, you can fit 3-6 economy seats in for each. I'd have no problem with jacking up the taxes there.

We should punish extravagance not the journey taken

Perhaps if we're going to tax extravagance, we should also double the tax on things like bottled water from outside of Ireland, to mention one specific example. It all depends on how far you want to go with this, I can't remember seeing any bananas growing in fields here, or things like oranges and grapes, the carbon mileage on some of these items is significant. You could also add things like Japanese cars that are imported from Japan after they reach 3 years old, because their NCT equivalent is punitive, or New Zealand Lamb, but look out for the swing of that pendulum when people start reacting against Irish Beef, butter and Whisky that gets shipped around the world.

That's the trouble with too much of "green" politics, it's all sound bites for PR, and no substance, because when it comes down to reality, the implications will hurt people significantly in areas that are not always immediately visible.

Yes, it's a sore point with me, because I've seen how that can backfire badly, the Greens are pushing an all electric future, with very few alternatives, but I don't see them promoting any sort of resilience to ensure that vulnerable customers will have heat and light if we get a major storm, and whatever about using candles for a while if the power's out, if we also can't cook anything, or heat any water or get the house warm due to a major power failure, or charge the car to get to work, or run critical medical equipment, that's going to be a very different story very rapidly if for some reason the power is off for more than a few hours, and that's without industrial unrest from the ESB unions once they realise that everyone is totally dependent on electicity.

Frequent flyer tax is just political posturing jealousy of the worst kind that will be meaningless when it comes down to the reality of how real life works.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Squedward

Is it possible to book an Avios redemption from Ireland connecting at LHR to Europe with BA. It's not possible online but has anyone been able to do it over the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Squedward wrote: »
    Is it possible to book an Avios redemption from Ireland connecting at LHR to Europe with BA. It's not possible online but has anyone been able to do it over the phone?

You can setup a BA account and transfer your Avios to BA and book there - make sure details match exactly.

Alternatively if the route is not flown by EI I thought they showed the partner routes which should include BA.

If you want to fly via LHR though, better off to move to BA.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Squedward

thebiglad wrote: »
    You can setup a BA account and transfer your Avios to BA and book there - make sure details match exactly.

Alternatively if the route is not flown by EI I thought they showed the partner routes which should include BA.

If you want to fly via LHR though, better off to move to BA.

Thanks, just can't seem to load (a BA codeshare, Aerlingus flight connecting to a BA flight) on the British Airways Avios page, might have to give them a call, can purchase the flight for cash from them so should be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

So Aer Lingus is going to start charging for carry on bags, €6 each way and while it's included with Silver or higher, you have to get priority boarding as well. Interesting timing, like it was always coming but you would think they would want to get people flying again. Or maybe they are hoping there will be a rush to travel again and make the revenue from that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Any news on opening lounges or extending tiers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

So Aer Lingus is going to start charging for carry on bags, €6 each way and while it's included with Silver or higher, you have to get priority boarding as well. Interesting timing, like it was always coming but you would think they would want to get people flying again. Or maybe they are hoping there will be a rush to travel again and make the revenue from that.

They will check in your hand luggage for free now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

They will check in your hand luggage for free now

It's not hand luggage any more if they check it in!

In all seriousness, the service offered by Aer Lingus on European flights has gradually degenerated over the years, to the point that there's precious little difference between them and Ryanair.

This is just the latest step in the ongoing race to the bottom.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

Any news on opening lounges or extending tiers?

I dropped to Platinum last month so i guess they won't be extending. I think they are going to let people fall down and then change what is needed to move up the tiers. It was always pretty easy to get Silver with them with only a few flights needed.

I dropped to Platinum last month so i guess they won't be extending. I think they are going to let people fall down and then change what is needed to move up the tiers. It was always pretty easy to get Silver with them with only a few flights needed.

Provided those flights are transatlantic – then yes.

If most of your travel is European then it takes quite a bit to hit the magic threshold unless you're buying advantage or AerSpace fares.

The fact that the qualification period isn't a rolling twelve months wiped me out more than once when I was on the verge of getting my card.

• Advertisement

I'm platinum till Dec, no chance of making 601 as it will be Sept before I fly again, technically need 2 flights to legally get Silver per the rules If they would reinstate my 2020 points pre Covid (~250 ish 1 Jan-29 Feb) that would be a fair compromise

Platinum vs Silver
    1 upgrade voucher (only good on US/CA and impossible to use in practice)
    You get a guest in the lounge (if there is a lounge)
    You can use the 51st lounge in DUB and the United one in SFO

So if you travel alone and don't travel to the US/CA there is NO difference

I'm platinum till Dec, no chance of making 601 as it will be Sept before I fly again, technically need 2 flights to legally get Silver per the rules If they would reinstate my 2020 points pre Covid (~250 ish 1 Jan-29 Feb) that would be a fair compromise

Platinum vs Silver
    1 upgrade voucher (only good on US/CA and impossible to use in practice)
    You get a guest in the lounge (if there is a lounge)
    You can use the 51st lounge in DUB and the United one in SFO

So if you travel alone and don't travel to the US/CA there is NO difference

On paper it looks like a few differences between platinum and silver but as you said, if you travel alone there is no advantage.

I thought by where it said use partner airline lounge you could use the KLM Lounge on code share flights to Ireland but obviously not the case.

I usually travel to Amsterdam every two weeks from Cork so i bought the Privium lounge access. Its great, well worth the money. The Aspire lounge that EI use there is abysmal! The Aspire in Manchester and Heathrow are streets ahead.

My platinum is gone at the end of November so i assume ill drop to silver for 12 months so i should be back up to platinum by march as i have the green light to travel in September from work. Not that platinum matters when i travel alone. And if the lounges stay closed it certainly doesn't matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I had already got enough to keep silver before covid struck, with enough trips planned to get Platinum no bother. So the extension for a year was of no value but of course now I've lost those 300+ tier points and don't see myself flying much until next year for work, so that's me gone. I guess gives me a chance to decide where to move my loyalty whenever work travel does pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Noxegon wrote: »
    It's not hand luggage any more if they check it in!

In all seriousness, the service offered by Aer Lingus on European flights has gradually degenerated over the years, to the point that there's precious little difference between them and Ryanair.

This is just the latest step in the ongoing race to the bottom.

I mean what service are you expecting here?

They can't compete with Ryanair in Europe sure

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    I mean what service are you expecting here?

I long for the day when it's possible to purchase the equivalent of a QR/EK/EY service on a short haul flight in Europe.

(And yes, I know it'll never happen.)

BigMoose wrote: »
    I had already got enough to keep silver before covid struck, with enough trips planned to get Platinum no bother. So the extension for a year was of no value but of course now I've lost those 300+ tier points and don't see myself flying much until next year for work, so that's me gone. I guess gives me a chance to decide where to move my loyalty whenever work travel does pick up.

I may swap to KLM now that we have the option in cork.

I need to pick one in an alliance with some of the US carriers so I dont have to arse about with immigration when I get to the US. Although I suspect that once my work travel does pick up it will be more to UK/Europe and much less US travel than I had pre covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Tangey99

There is still incredible value to be had with Avios on EI, if the routes etc match your requirements.

Just booked 2x MIA-DUB on EI in Biz for March next year for 125K Avios and £50.

Note that it is still the case that it is much cheaper to do Avios redemptions on EI by phoning BA than booking online at avios.com

Avios.com wanted £211 in taxes/fees for the same flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭cson

Assume 2 one ways?

Also thought peak redemption for J was 60k?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Tangey99

cson wrote: »
    Assume 2 one ways?

Also thought peak redemption for J was 60k?

peak mia-dub is 75K

off peak is 65.2K, hence 125K for 2.

• Advertisement

Tangey99 wrote: »
    peak mia-dub is 75K

off peak is 65.2K, hence 125K for 2.

Ah of course, I only tend to price out east coast for these which is 50/60k for off peak/peak one way. The Y off peak @ 13k is phenomenal value.

Patiently waiting for the day EI roll out reciprocal elite bennies to OneWorld members!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

cson wrote: »
    Ah of course, I only tend to price out east coast for these which is 50/60k for off peak/peak one way. The Y off peak @ 13k is phenomenal value.

Patiently waiting for the day EI roll out reciprocal elite bennies to OneWorld members!

13k but about 200 euro in charges

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    13k but about 200 euro in charges

Not if you call into BA to book, usually ~50 quid.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Silver Status extended to November 2022!!!

I’ve taken about 5 flights in the last 3-4 years :-D the last of which was January 2020

Handy one! Especially seeing as im swapping over to KLM from Cork :D

I’ve taken about 5 flights in the last 3-4 years :-D the last of which was January 2020

Yup, had my email too. Good news, although you'd think a no brainer for them as it costs them next to nothing and means I'm far more likely to use them when work travel does kick off next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Platinum here, points reset to zero though. Not an issue personally, as usually a concierge member after a year.

Feel sorry for Aer Lingus with so much uncertainty by the government. The staff of Aer Lingus are for the most part superb, I cannot imagine the worry they have with all the news surrounding the future of this airline.

Have the lounges re-opened?

As soon as you see photos of the refurb of the DUB lounge you will know it is open

I would assume this is tied to the reopening of inside dinning on July 26th

There is no UK legal reason why LHR T2 lounge is closed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I purchased 2 european flights yesterday, separately, while logged in as 'silver' aerclub.

I understood from Aer Lingus that as silver, I got to take 10kg carry on bag on-board (rather than check in for free under new rules) and priority boarding. Which is exactly what I got.

But I then booked a similar flight for my wife who is not silver status, and her booking (basic not plus) also came in as having free carry on 10kg and priority boarding. Is this a glitch, because I was logged in when booking? It's grand obviously, but not sure how it happened.

Advertisement