Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Used to have a no flight before 8.30am rule myself, would never schedule a meeting for earlier than 11am.. if they want me there earlier then pay for a hotel to go the night before.

I’m with you on that.

There was a time when I regularly did weekends away starting with 6/7am flights on Saturday morning and returning on a 10pm flight on Sunday. No longer.

For an upcoming trip I’m staying an extra day to avoid a 6:00am return flight. I’d be just about okay with it if I could stay in an airside hotel and get up at 5:30am, but that’s not an option unfortunately.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

I setup a lifestyle based on the 0600-0700 first wave out EI xx0/xx2, rinse and repeat, throw in some late notice ask and holidays. I got to 11 flights in a month and 4 nights at home, just enough time to do the washing before the next flight out...

I flew in the same seat on the same aircraft multiple times in a month (A319 to CPH). Managed to leave DUB at 0640 find myself in Brussels, Paris and London and be at home in bed before 11pm same day. Had a meal in all three, even got to the top of the Eiffel tower.

Didn't make top tier status...

If you are young, healthy and most importantly single its great. But I only sleep 4 hours a night anyway so 4am start is nothing

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Email in, some offer on collecting points at Kildare Village and 20% in some shops (it doesn't have a list) too next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Email in, some offer on collecting points at Kildare Village and 20% in some shops (it doesn't have a list) too next week.

They do this twice a year in the past, surprised to see it on this year.

You get access to the VIP lounge - nibbles, bubbles and coffee - very small though so with social distancing cannot see that working out too well unless they are strict on times.

Last year for concierge members they handed out goodie bags with 2 Molton Brown shower gels and some other bits - I managed to get a few!!

20% off is good if you are shopping anyhow but, in recent months I have felt the level of stock in Kildare Village to be low and some shops have removed stock to make more room for shoppers.

It's 10% off all the time with vouchers easily available in tourist offices (or at the airport) and on the Revolut App.

thebiglad wrote: »
    They do this twice a year in the past, surprised to see it on this year.

You get access to the VIP lounge - nibbles, bubbles and coffee - very small though so with social distancing cannot see that working out too well unless they are strict on times.

Last year for concierge members they handed out goodie bags with 2 Molton Brown shower gels and some other bits - I managed to get a few!!

20% off is good if you are shopping anyhow but, in recent months I have felt the level of stock in Kildare Village to be low and some shops have removed stock to make more room for shoppers.

It's 10% off all the time with vouchers easily available in tourist offices (or at the airport) and on the Revolut App.

Yeah visited before when they had the VIP lounge, doesn't seen to be open this time its simply points and a discount.

https://www.tbvsc.com/kildare-village/en/offers/aerclub-green-members-week?rrid=5550922025&rmid=20200914_AerClub_Newsletter_KV_Green&utm_source=aerclub_offers&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20wk38_aerclub_14092020_KV_green&utm_term=aerclub&aid=2030:email:newsletter:aerlingusnewsletter14092020_14092020_KV_green::&mi_ecmp=20200914_AerClub_Newsletter_KV_Green

• Advertisement

Slightly different for Concierge then - this is included in my email

As a Concierge member, enjoy exclusive access to The Apartment, by appointment only. See ‘Something Extra’ below to reserve your place.

Still not 100% convinced for this time, and I have attended the events in the past and KV fairly regularly. Maybe worth a evening time visit but, with the queues and waits to enter the shops at popular times its a bit of a pain!

This part of the offer is vague as to which stores it applies to but may work out...

Fast track entry – to minimise wait times with priority access to your favourite boutiques

thebiglad wrote: »
    Slightly different for Concierge then - this is included in my email

As a Concierge member, enjoy exclusive access to The Apartment, by appointment only. See ‘Something Extra’ below to reserve your place.

Still not 100% convinced for this time, and I have attended the events in the past and KV fairly regularly. Maybe worth a evening time visit but, with the queues and waits to enter the shops at popular times its a bit of a pain!

This part of the offer is vague as to which stores it applies to but may work out...

Fast track entry – to minimise wait times with priority access to your favourite boutiques

Interesting, like I say they had access to the VIP for plain vanilla aerclub members before but not now. If I go it will be midweek....

Interesting, like I say they had access to the VIP for plain vanilla aerclub members before but not now. If I go it will be midweek....

The lounge is so small, I would not expect more than 10 at a time will be allowed in so has to be limited, unless it is also time restricted to those allowed to enter, cannot see how this will really work this time anyhow - much better when possible to come and go at leisure.

The irony that you can get access to the lounge at Kildare Village but not the one at the airport...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Great timing for Aer Lingus, just after restrictions on leaving County Dublin are likely to be introduced.

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    Great timing for Aer Lingus, just after restrictions on leaving County Dublin are likely to be introduced.

None introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Recommendation only on travel - no actual restriction

As per the entire announcement it doesn't explicity ban travel outside the county, only to limit it and limit who you see when outside the county.

Yes, like I said, bad timing for Aer Lingus to be encouraging the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

I think I need help from someone with a degree in Aerclubbul****tology to decipher my home page for me!

7UJSuSB.png

do I have to earn 301 tier points to go to platinum by end of nov 2020 as it say on the left side:
    You need to earn 301 Tier Credits before 29/11/20 to reach the PLATINUM tier
    or by end of nov 2021 as it says on the right side:
    Silver Tier Expiry Date
    28 Nov 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭BigMoose

My guess is that come 29/11/20 those 300 will disappear and you'll need 600 to get platinum (or 300 to keep silver) before your silver status runs out on 28/11/21

• Registered Users Posts: 20,904 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yup, they extended my silver status by a year but told me my tier points would reset to 0 on the usual date.

Website is busted again, check tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Not that it matters. Ive flown 5 times since the pandemic. All from cork bar one from Dublin and the only benefit I have been able to use was fast track security when no one was in security anyway. We dont even have priority boarding except in Amsterdam end.

• Advertisement

We all got a years extension.

6 flights so far, row to myself each time. Actually I could get used to this calm no delays no rush experience. Boarding last is so nice compared to boarding first.

Still missing the chicken and stuffing sandwich, possibly the most profitable thing EI sells...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Noxegon

We all got a years extension

More accurately, those who were in the club got an extension. Those who were in the process of qualifying got foxtrot alpha.

I was most of the way to qualifying thanks to a business class US trip in December/January – I paid the fare difference with the express aim of getting my lounge and fast track back in early 2020 as I fully expected to do a lot of European trips over the course of the year.

Now I'm back to zero again.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Aercard 'free' flights now allowed in former peak periods. Likely because there is no such thing for now; and they'd quite like people to keep the Aercard as its recurring, non flight related income!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭SB Morer

‘Bonus Time’ is back with SuperValu Real Rewards and it’s another measly 25% bonus again. I genuinely thought they’d up it to entice people to convert points given the state of the airline industry. Why do we consistently get the worst airline rewards in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭NSAman

SB Morer wrote: »
    ‘Bonus Time’ is back with SuperValu Real Rewards and it’s another measly 25% bonus again. I genuinely thought they’d up it to entice people to convert points given the state of the airline industry. Why do we consistently get the worst airline rewards in Ireland?

Not entirely true,

Try American Airlines. I have 250,000 points with them at the moment. Enough for a couple of round trips business class to Europe. Only one small issue, when you book you have to pay $800 in taxes each way???? Whats the point?

Never use the card now as it is worthless value. By comparison Aer Lingus is far superior.

NSAman wrote: »
    Not entirely true,

Try American Airlines. I have 250,000 points with them at the moment. Enough for a couple of round trips business class to Europe. Only one small issue, when you book you have to pay $800 in taxes each way???? Whats the point?

Never use the card now as it is worthless value. By comparison Aer Lingus is far superior.

But you can use those miles to book any One World airline. And If (as expected) Aer Lingus joins One World Connect you may be able to use them on AL with the much lower taxes.

SB Morer wrote: »
    But you can use those miles to book any One World airline. And If (as expected) Aer Lingus joins One World Connect you may be able to use them on AL with the much lower taxes.

This is true if you are BA transfer the miles to EI and pay, but if you are AA you are AA you cannot as far as I know transfer miles to BA...

Same seat, same flight same avios EI has lower taxes (sometimes)

This is true if you are BA transfer the miles to EI and pay, but if you are AA you are AA you cannot as far as I know transfer miles to BA...

Same seat, same flight same avios EI has lower taxes (sometimes)

No he can’t transfer the miles directly to BA. But he can book an award ticket for any One World airline with AA. He’d only be able to avail of an EI reward flights if they become a One World Connect member.

Don't assume the taxes will be same as EI when booked via AA. As soon as EI joins the TATL JV regardless of program bookings will be possible across all carriers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,411 ✭✭✭✭cson

NSAman wrote: »
    Not entirely true,

Assuming BA metal?

I've never seen J class taxes that high on AA, it's always $5.60 ex US and about $50 ex DUB depending on where the exchange rate is at.

My take is that if you have Platinum status or above on AA, it'll be a superior experience to Aer Lingus in Y. I would give EI the edge on the J product but its tight, Flagship out of JFK/DFW is miles better than any contract lounge EI have, but on the other side you do get that little hole in the wall lounge in DUB while you wait for your bags.

Advertisement