Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better late than never

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Many thanks one and all for the kind words and encouragement. Heading off to Wales climbing/hill walking as a reward :D for 3 days.

Look forward to the second half of the season after a couple of weeks of training and the hols and will target more racing from late July.

Onwards and upwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Enjoy, watch those ankles on the hills!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Great stuff Denis congrats.

Date|Race|Distance|PB|Comment|
    14.5|Parkrun|5 Km| |21:57|
    20.5|Cooley Coast Race|10km|47:02|46:02|
    31.5|Dunboyne |5 Miler|37:01|35:46 pb|
    11.6|Parkrun|5km|21:00|Postponed|
    18.6|Dunshaughlin|10 km|46:02|44:49pb|
    30.6|Clonee|10km||Happy with A Target Race|

Spent 3 days (Mon-Wed) in Wales climbing and hiking with whatever was left in the legs. Funny thing is that I could feel a recovery of sorts after the first day in the legs. Mind ya I had to carefully lift the legs over stiles so that the hammers did not cramp up later in the first day. Covered about 85 kms and 17 new peaks in the ranges that we visited to the south of Wales. Spent Thurs to Sunday resting and working to allow the legs some recovery. Lots of re-hydration required even though I was drinking 3 litres a day on the hill.

Really satisfied with how the first cycle of the year has gone. Have lowered my 5 mile and 10Km pbs which are now starting to look a little bit more balanced alongside my 5km pb of 21 mins flat. I think that there is more left in this project and will look to lower them in the next cycle as well as including some training to pick up a 10 miler or two.

Heading to Colorado for two weeks for some climbing and will be including lots of running as well. The higher altitude, and temperatures will make it interesting.

Plan is to start increasing mileage modestly in excess of the (mostly recovery and easy run miles) Pfitzinger 10km and 10 mile programmes. I will target the Fingal 10km, Frank Duffy 10 miler and then the DCM HM. Idea is that the extra mileage will help bridge the gap to transition into an abridged HM programme. Not perfect but I would like to continue to make some all round improvement for this year. Will use Oct-Dec to select other races from 5km to 10 miles.

In short I hope to run another marathon (Rotterdam/London :rolleyes:) depending on offers. Would hope that this year will help build up some pace and will start on longer LSRs just before Christmas.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Altitude training, eh? Pulling out all the stops for that sub-21 ;).

Congrats on a great first half of the year, some good work done and results reaped.

I'd say you'll be grand for the HM coming off the 10k/10m programmes with extra miles. I took a chunk off my HM last year simply by building miles, then just threw in a few HM specific session in the last couple of weeks. More than one way to skin a cat (or a HM in this case :rolleyes:).

Looking forward to seeing how the next 6 months block pans out for you.

• Advertisement

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Altitude training, eh? Pulling out all the stops for that sub-21 ;).

Congrats on a great first half of the year, some good work done and results reaped.

I'd say you'll be grand for the HM coming off the 10k/10m programmes with extra miles. I took a chunk off my HM last year simply by building miles, then just threw in a few HM specific session in the last couple of weeks. More than one way to skin a cat (or a HM in this case :rolleyes:).

Looking forward to seeing how the next 6 months block pans out for you.

Cheers G. Altitude training - yeah, grasping at straws!!!! That hill in St. Annes scares me so its the Rockies for 5km bashing time :D.

Good to know about HM success last year. Trying a mix of things in this year of experimentation. Christmas 2013 I tried to run 10km under 50 minutes and ran at the required pace of 5 min/km. Completely blew up at 7 km and was already leaking seconds. Couldn't finish the time trial. Just goes to show what those cumulative miles repay us with. Honestly thought at that stage that I'd probably fall apart with the effort to get under 50 mins. Still alive to tell the tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Would agree with BG, I only did one HM specific session this year
    did some running 15-20 sec slower and faster than MP mixed sessions
    no real speed work and knock big chunk off half, think more down to
    increased mileage. All that mountain climbing will defiantly help, your
    Some man.

That's some progress on the pb table Denis enjoy the hols it's getting serious with the altitude training !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

denis b wrote: »
    In short I hope to run another marathon (Rotterdam/London :rolleyes:) depending on offers. Would hope that this year will help build up some pace and will start on longer LSRs just before Christmas.

Any ideas?

One or two or three around here have mentioned Barca once or twice or thrice... I could be tempted myself (presuming I don't get into London :) )

Singer wrote: »
    One or two or three around here have mentioned Barca once or twice or thrice... I could be tempted myself (presuming I don't get into London :) )

With ya on that. I dont expect to get the London gig and Rotterdam appeals weather wise. Will hold but will definitely add Barca as it is in the same timeframe. Recent boardsies experiences of running marathons in warm weather have left a distinct impression although your festival/beers taper approach to racing day might be worth a shot ðŸ˜႒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

just catching up after hols Congrats on Dunshaughlin 10k PB, great race and well deserved PB.

Well the new cycle began this week. Really feel a need to get some hard sessions under my belt if I am to coax out more gains this year. Its there but I need to up the ante now before I start racing again later in July.

Tuesday
    Progression Run 12.45km in 5:50 to 5:20 range and straight into 10x100m strides. Probably overcooked the strides running the last 2 uphill but maintained posture. Tired after this. Probably have not fully recovered from last weeks days on the hills.

Wednesday
    Rest and research: stretching. Started the Hartman stretching routine and liked it. Will be done every day and as part of the race day warm up. Good enough for Michael Johnson, then its good enough for me.

Thursday
    Death by lats. 13km with 16, 12 and 8 min at 4:30-4:35 mins per km. 4 mins recovery. This was one tough session but I finished it running 4:28, 4:34 and 4:36 average pace per split.

Was sure I was going to die out there with the humidity but just kept pushing and particularly on the second split. Tried to stay as relaxed as possible for most of the run but it got the better of me at times. Probably the hardest session I have done in a few months so that augurs well. Cool down run was slow but I kept moving and for once I nailed down the recovery food and stretching.

Kinda pleased with myself to be honest.

Nice work Denis:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Nice yearly split Denis :) Makes all the hard work worthwhile when you look back on a successful 6 months.

Wales sounds like fun, where abouts were you? 16 peaks sounds suspiciously like you covered Snowdonia, the Glyders and the Carnedds. If so well done. Were you across Crib Goch?

Neady83 wrote: »
    Nice yearly split Denis :) Makes all the hard work worthwhile when you look back on a successful 6 months.

Wales sounds like fun, where abouts were you? 16 peaks sounds suspiciously like you covered Snowdonia, the Glyders and the Carnedds. If so well done. Were you across Crib Goch?

Cheers Neady. Lower peaks this time. The Brecon Beacons, The Black Mountains and Forest Fawr. Super area and a quick dash with the cheap flights from Bristol.

Have been on Crib Goch and been through a good deal of Snowdonia which is a favourite. Was looking for something new (navigation) as I eventually decided to complete my ML this October. Going for assessment so that practice in new ranges helps as well.

Back from hols a week and a little behind on the log. Managed 6 runs in on hols which was ok as it was primarily a hiking/climbing/see the sites road trip. Spent the entire duration at over 5,500 feet and 9/14 days over 9,500 feet so altitude was almost always an issue along with high temperatures. Tried to balance the running with other physical activities so the sessions generally were not very hard as I had a number of long multiple days in the hills.

Saturday 2nd July

Denver run on Day 1. Laced up and ready to go around 5am and headed out of the hotel along the South Platte River Creek. Eeerie as I ran from dark to light on an easy 6km run. Floored with the travel etc so ran this very handy and collected a dozen notional traffic violations running the red lights until I hit the trail. Path was sandy and racn close to the river interspersed with low willow and the homeless. Always a sad sight but everybody said hello as they started into another day. Raced a freight train (80 odd carriages) to a road crossing in the city centre and lost just as I spotted a pedestrian underpass.

Sunday 3rd July

Holidays and a lie on so out the door at 6am for 13 km run (sight seeing). Accompanied by the OH for the first 5km along the Cherry Creek Trail. Very utilitarian.....concrete slab beside running water. It works and there was a little more runner company this morning. OH remarked that it felt very safe but we doubled back to the hotel before I headed on to make up my own mileage by rejoining the South Platte Creek in opposite direction to yesterday.

Passed a very friendly:eek::eek::eek: "Rhodesian Ridgeback Type Dog" taking its young lady owner for a walk and wondered how she would manage if it resisted in any way. Carried on through a few post flood diversion works on the path before turning back only to see the same dog bounding towards me GODZILLa like. Not one to panic, I think I just froze, and tried to remain calm while walking towards the dog...there was no other choice as the river was running too high. He stopped and I did what you do when you dont know what to do!!!!! clapped my hands and whistled as though I had a clue. The dog looked puzzled and just then the owner came crashing through some bamboo looking for Tiger ( I kid you not). I did what we Irish do best and laughed, moved on and didn't make a fuss.

Nice run but moving any faster was out of the question. Ran by feel and this was comparable, effort wise to a normal progression run for me. HR peaked with the appearance of the dog.

Worth taking the runners to Denver if you are passing by. I think it is safe and passed lots of lone male and female runners who mostly just minded their own business. The homeless are friendly.

Thursday 7th July

Vo2 Max session at 7,000 feet.

Had descended from around 13,000 feet to do this. Tough session at Park City (just outside of Salt Lake City)...location of the 2002 Winter Olympics. No flat running ground in sight so ran the 5x 1km intervals on a soft U profile as part of a 10km run. This was a tough one. Headed out early to avoid the blistering sun and it was wonderfully cool. Had not set up the session properly on the watch so ran the 1km legs as hard as I could and then jogged out the recovery. Perversely I enjoyed this but was suitablly flattened by the effort. OH was considering signing me in at this stage but the Outlet Centre beside the hotel distracted her :D

Monday 11th July

Back down from the high hills to run this early morning. Headed to the Nordic Centre at Snowmass 8,300 feet (just outside Aspen) and used the perimeter paths to fashion out an 8.7km run. Tough one and was heading out for a few hours hike later so did not want to blow up. Humidity had been in low single digits for the last week so hardly a drop of sweat and the body just roasted to the core. Noticed that the lining of the nose, throat and lungs were struggling a little so had placed water where I could reach it quickly. Any short hills required lots of concentration and determination. Any lack of pace certainly didnt reflect the effort on this run where I barely managed to make 6.10/km (excluding first uphill km where I had my ass kicked).

Thursday 14th of July

Breckenbridge (super quiet off season skiing village) at 10,000 feet. Real high altitude country for this run and what a difference a few days makes with altitude conditioning. Had been climbing some higher peaks and descended the previous night. 8km of glorious riverside running with 4 km downhill and 4 km back uphill at a fair old clip (Strava GAP avg 5:30). Not bad for the altitude. Really began to think about the gains which are made with altitude. Know from my climbing/hiking that it is very discernible over a few days. Legs felt light but could also feel that the lungs were beginning to complain a little. Time to ease off.

Friday the 15th of July

12 km recovery run. Out before 6am to a high alpine valley still sheltered from the rising sun. Watched the easterly slope as the sun hit the summit snow and slowly slid down the hillside to reach me by run end. Was refreshing running beside the cold water which threw off a chill to make things nice and comfortable. Will miss Colorado but it was good to me on this trip and another little part of the world has been opened up. Back to Dublin and a day or twos rest before saddling up for the Frank Duffy and DCM HM. Decided that the Fingal 10km race this Sunday is probably a step too far for me at this moment. Will hold off on racing for a couple of weeks.

Monday 18th July

Quick 5 km recovery run after missing two nights sleep. 5.43/km. Was not feeling 100%.

Tuesday 19th July

13km run with 6x12 secs uphill sprints and 6x100m strides.

Felt tired on this session but managed to see it through reasonably ok. Strangely enough the uphill sprints were fine and even managed to make the first interval 30 seconds long as I was enjoying it and forgot about the watch.

Got very tired during the day and felt the muscles aching. Decided that 2 days rest were in order and left it at that.

Friday 22nd July

13 km With 18 mins at LT pace. There should also have been a 15 min Lt interval but decided that I would try for 7-8mins after the 4 min recovery and see how I felt. First 18 min interval run at 4:38....about 3 secs outside of the range. The second LT interval was a little outside this again but I felt that I had enough done and just ran through the remaining mileage in the 5:50 range before finishing feeling pretty good all things considered.

Well that is it and I am up to date thanks to the company of Fairport Convention in the background.

keep running folks and enjoy what you do,

Saturday

Back in the hills for an easy exploratory day. Achilles were a little sore and remembered to do my heel drops and massage which helped a lot.

Sunday

19 km Progressive run with last 2 km at LT. Priority was to run as many miles on grass as possible to help legs recover.

Did 4 in the 5:50's avg. 5:52
    4 in the 5:40's avg. 5:46
    4 in the 5:30's avg. 5:37 the third km was messed up with tree cover and a zig zag run and is adjusted to reflect effort

and then 5:25, 5:25, 5:17, 5:18, 5:07, 4:43 and 4:31.

Really happy with this session. Thanks to the Clontarf Minor Hurling team who offered some water after 6 km. Nice touch for an ould dog.

Last 2 km were really nice. Had to dig in on the last half km but it didnt feel like a blowout. Stretched on the grass and got some proper recovery food in shortly afterwards.

A good day.

Monday

Rest day.

Tuesday

Its a recovery week in the programme and who am I to argue!!

Todays offering is a 13km Aerobic Run with 2 sets of 5x150m: 4 mins jog between sets and 250m jog between intervals.

Decided to try and be true to the recovery week concept and ran within the correct HR band until I got to the strides. First 3 kms were tiring enough, even at the slower pace, but felt much better after that.

Ran the strides on the local GAA Pitch on some less than even ground initially until I copped on and ran closer to the pitch for the rest. Watched a very well known Sigerson Coach, on the recoveries, who was putting a few juveniles through the basics of kicking and catching a ball. It was drizzling.....full respect to all concerned and not a pair of gloves between them. Watched the timing and concentration in particular. Could use some of that for the rest of the strides. The second set went very well.

Achilles letting me know that they are there, particularly on the LHS. Drops and roller, here we come.

Wednesday/Thursday

Rest day and a day when running just didn't happen.

Friday

13 Km Easy Run, Avg. HR 142, Pace 5:42.

First 5km gently uphill and then a return to base gently downhill. Kept the HR steady just to see what the pace variance was like with the undulations. Very little as it turned out, circa 20 secs.

Saturday

Its a recovery week and today should have been a rest/cross training day. Had missed a day earlier in the week so went out and did a 8.5km Easy Run. Beautiful cool morning and kept the HR at 140 or less most of the run.

Came across a bicycle accident for the second morning in a row. Chap today would have benefited from wearing a helmet, but he will be ok. Will be getting Strava requests to know what my running plans are in advance!!! Think I must be jinxing them.

8.5km, HR 140, pace 5:48/km.

• Advertisement

Sunday

14kms LSR, 5:56/km and HR monitor went bananas.

Humid and breezy out there this morning. Felt tired for most of this run. Met Mrs Mc along the seafront on her LSR. Think this was just one those runs that had to be done. Wont dwell on it.

Sunday

14kms LSR, 5:56/km and HR monitor went bananas.

Humid and breezy out there this morning. Felt tired for most of this run. Met Mrs Mc along the seafront on her LSR. Think this was just one those runs that had to be done. Wont dwell on it.

Was hot out there today Denis good to see you this morning. I was only 3 miles in at that stage thankfully got some nice cool breeze as I headed towards Sutton.

Mrs Mc wrote: »
    Was hot out there today Denis good to see you this morning. I was only 3 miles in at that stage thankfully got some nice cool breeze as I headed towards Sutton.

You were certainly looking a lot better than I felt at that stage with 2 km left. Wondered if the were any other Boards Novice DCM 2016 runners out on the seafront this morning. Could definitely spot a few LSR candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Wondered if the were any other Boards Novice DCM 2016 runners out on the seafront this morning. Could definitely spot a few LSR candidates.

I think most of us are on saturday Lsrs , I usually try to incorporate the seafront in my lsrs and paced runs for the cooling breeze when running out from Fairview towards Sutton, It was to my back yesterday though so no benefit, Its lovely along there either way, one of my favourite route.

Monday

Rest

Tuesday

Was still struggling a little coming into this week so adopted a wait and see approach. Aimed to complete the mileage as a priority as even that will benefit the assault on the 10 Mile and HM pb's.
    11km with 10x100m strides: Good enough effort and got good value out of my strides.

Wednesday
    14km Endurance run. Got a little ahead of myself early on with this run and the splits were a little fast than planned. Felt really good so just went with the effort scale. Ended up running about 15 secs a km faster than normal for this run.

Thursday

Rest

Friday

12 km LT Run with 20 mins and 9 mins at LT pace. Am gradually extending the length of the second LT run each week. The session is not completely up to scratch yet but getting there.

Saturday

8km nice and easy with MrsMc, KennyG and Firedance and two good friends of MrsMc. Super breezy run along the promenade on grass. Good to have Kenny G on his feet again and see from Strava that MrsMc continued on for 14km more at the same pace.

Sunday
    19km Progressive run. Very blustery from the west so headed into the wind and slightly uphill for 10 kms and on the return increased the pace on each km by about 8 secs/km, taking the last 2 at LT.

Ran as far as the Castleknock gate from home. Kind of happened without a route plan as I ran 2 km into the wind and then headed left for a while for a break. A little like a mystery drive with the kids when they would have got to say left or right, in turn, at each junction!!!!

Very happy with this run and think I am returning to better form.

That was 64.8 km for the week.

2 week gap to catch up on keeping the log alive. It hasn't been a great year and have probably been overdoing it at times. Its one of those things where age is not necessarily an asset :). Was beginning to feel very tired after runs and kind of run down. Its about the third time this has happened this year.

Changes are required.

What I have learnt:
    All my promises to be more sensible have not been adhered too.
    My programme is just too hard on the system for now.
    I have not lost the additional weight I said I would this year.
    Nutrition has been poor this summer.
    I need to reduce the number of hard sessions a week and substitute with easy running.
    Take an extra rest day when it is needed.

The Positives
    The 10 km pb Plan was salvaged and I gave it everything. Big +1
    Have kept running consistently.
    I have got the hang of LT runs which I had always hated.
    Hydration is no longer the issue it was.
    I love running.

I will follow the general layout of the P and D HM Plan by keeping to the mileage and by prioritising the harder sessions for my goal - DCM HM. I have missed the Fingal and FD races but really want to run the DCM HM. I will lower my targets and plan is to run and finish it, just sub pb which is soft anyhow. That would be a very good outcome and give me something progressive and positive to work at and still allow some recovery. Climbing is taking a backseat for a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Changes are required.

What I have learnt:
    All my promises to be more sensible have not been adhered too.
    My programme is just too hard on the system for now.
    I have not lost the additional weight I said I would this year.
    Nutrition has been poor this summer.
    I need to reduce the number of hard sessions a week and substitute with easy running.
    Take an extra rest day when it is needed.

Ditto....I could just copy and paste that into my log, sigh. I'm sure there are others with whom that will resonate.

any running last couple of weeks. Mind the body, rekon you have plenty of
    Speed work done going into short half cycle, best of luck.

Good man G. Top up follows:

Wednesday 10th August
    13.7km Easy Run at 5:52/km

Friday 12th August
    13km Tempo Run 6km at Easy to MP and each km faster to 4:55km. Did an additional 2km after run to cooldown. 15km in total. Felt great.

Trouble started here.

Saturday 13th August
    8km recovery and had to stop at 5km feeling a tad dizzy at times. Rested for a few minutes reading some flora notices in Herbert Park and resumed run. Very tired afterwards.

Saturday 20th August
    FD Day and way was I up to it. Went out in the lashing rain for a very gentle run for 5km (5:52/km) just so I could get some idea of what everybody would experience in the park :), Wasn't out long enough to suffer +1.

Sunday 21st
    7km Easy run at 5.41/km. Felt fine but this was far and fast enough for me today.
    Core Work.

Monday 22nd
    recovery run of 5km at 6:12/km. Cant be accused of overcooking this.
    S+C workout completed after run.

Tuesday 23nd
    Rest Day

Wednesday 24th
    10.3km at 5:54. Kept hr in Easy range and averaged 142hr. RHR continues to lower. At 52 this morning.

Had 5 weeks of Plan finished but will just run easy miles for a few days this week and see how I am fixed for a longer run on Sunday.

• Advertisement

No harm concentrating on endurance for few weeks after long
    fast summer:) take it handy after good years work so far.

Advertisement