Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you "proud" of the Irish Rugby team and how they did in RWC2015?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

padser wrote: »

the best coach.

This does start to annoy me a little, this constant belief that Joe Schmidt is the best coach in the world, accepted as fact on this forum.

I'd suggest that Eddie Jones, Cheika himself, Hansen, yer man from Argentina, and even (*shudders*) Warren Gatland come into the discussion.

Schmidt is an excellent coach, don't get me wrong, but it would be fair to say the RWC didn't turn out to be his finest hour, unfortunate injuries and regrettable suspensions notwithstanding.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Australia were one of the sides worst hit by injury in the group stages. They were just lucky it happened early and to second string players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

It was a pretty ****e performance really. All we learnt is the six nations champions are less than all the rugby championship teams.

They aren't though. NZ are better than everyone else and the next 5 can all beat each other on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Well as far as I'm concerned, the team owes me absolutely nothing. They represent their families, friends, areas, coaches, clubs, schools and, most importantly, themselves. I am an onlooker, a spectator.

Of course, Irish rugby and its sponsors will try to convince me that I'm somehow 'part of the experience', in an effort to reinforce my loyalty to buying tickets and sponsors' products.

But to be honest, I really don't like being spoken to in such an utterly contrived tone of voice - "You're worth it", "We can't do this without you"... etc. <puke>

Fair play to anyone who takes the field at any level of what is increasingly becoming a full on unarmed combat exercise. I am eternally grateful to the Irish team for everything they go through, and no manner of seeing teams doing it slightly differently or better will change that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The celeb media is but not the rugby media.

The rugby media, which if you only general sports you wouldn't pay much attention to, is actually very critical of rugby in Ireland. George Hook, Neil Francis, Tom McGurk, Brendan Fanning, even Keith Wood or Matt Williams, they don't give out praise willy nilly.

If you don't read or listen to these people then you could think the Irish team gets off easily but I think the rugby guys get it harder than any other sport in Ireland.

Once you discount that the vast majority of soccer coverage and "hard" analysis is actually not of Irish interest,

That is not true. The Irish soccer pundits are incredibly tough on the team despite the team regularly playing above their level. Ireland beat Germany in a Euro qualifier can you imagine the coverage if the Irish rugby team managed to beat NZ in a World Cup game?

Like I said the Irish rugby team is overhyped, over praised and living in a bubble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

This post has been deleted.

i am fan rugby first and I am proud that the tournament was the best yet and showed us first and foremost it is a game of skill and spatial awareness and not the bang and smash some people want to reduce it to.

If pressed, that means more to me than Ireland or Leinster.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

WarZ wrote: »
    That is not true. The Irish soccer pundits are incredibly tough on the team despite the team regularly playing above their level. Ireland beat Germany in a Euro qualifier can you imagine the coverage if the Irish rugby team managed to beat NZ in a World Cup game?

Like I said the Irish rugby team is overhyped, over praised and living in a bubble.

The RTE panel could never be accused of over hyping or over praising the rugby team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

Absolutely true. Look at the 'back to back 6 nations' nonsense. That said I believe they tried hard and that in the end is all that matters.
    The players don't pick the team.

What would change my mind would be proof that Schmidt favours his lackeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭BeansBeans

In reply to the title:

No, it was a complete failure. Beating the worst French team in recent memory certainly should not be seen as an achievement either. There was not one great performance in all of the Irish games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I don't think the players deserve any praise for how they performed in the World Cup. They were brutal against Italy and shambolic against Argentina. If they are honestly proud of that campaign then they really need a wake up call. The players are treated far too nice by the press.

We have several players in the Irish rugby team who would walk into the English team. It has been like that for the last 15 years. If it was the same with the Soccer team we would hear about them non stop. But it isn't. In Soccer, we are under achieving - way behind Denmark, Norway etc countries with similar populations and playing bases.

Rugby has taken the Jack Charlton brigade. Sure half the time they were singing Ole Ole Ole at the Rugby matches in the WC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

So which is it, are we overhyped or are we overpraised?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

kidneyfan wrote: »
    What would change my mind would be proof that Schmidt favours his lackeys.

And what proof would you require? Does Schmidt have to state that he has his favourites and will pick them no matter what? Or do you want him to just say once and for all that he hates everyone not from Leinster and if he had his way, he'd never pick them?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭typhoony

So which is it, are we overhyped or are we overpraised?

why not throw in overpaid as well, each player may have netted 80,000 as a once off WC payment just for being involved

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Teferi wrote: »
    Nonsense. Argentina played to their ceiling, we played exceptionally average. If we had played to our ceiling I would have backed us to win.

Haha their ceiling? I don't believe ireland would do any better than Argentina have since joining the rugby championship. Their wins are few and far between but they have put it up to the big boys in all the games they've played and if they keep improving they will be a real force. I can't say the same about ireland who are always outside the big 3 despite the odd victory.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Since Arg joined the Tri Nations our record against the top 3 is W2 L3, with 2 LBP's in those losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Haha their ceiling? I don't believe ireland would do any better than Argentina have since joining the rugby championship. Their wins are few and far between but they have put it up to the big boys in all the games they've played and if they keep improving they will be a real force. I can't say the same about ireland who are always outside the big 3 despite the odd victory.

Our record against Australia and South Africa in recent years is much better than the odd victory. Let's wait and see how we do next summer down against the Bokke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Our record against Australia and South Africa in recent years is much better than the odd victory. Let's wait and see how we do next summer down against the Bokke

2016 has the potential to be amazing for Irish rugby - 6N Grand Slam (away victories in London & Paris), a 3-0 series victory in SA (last tour 2004), and a historic first victory, away to boot, against NZ in Chicago.

Of course, the flipside, is the potential for it all be a bit pear-shaped too.

I kind of feel it's a bit of a crossroads for Schmidt, I imagine 2016 is probably a bit of an audition for some sort of combination of Gatland, Schmidt and Cotter to return to the motherland in 2017, seems unlikely an English coach will get the Lions gig now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The rugby media, which if you only general sports you wouldn't pay much attention to, is actually very critical of rugby in Ireland. George Hook, Neil Francis, Tom McGurk, Brendan Fanning, even Keith Wood or Matt Williams, they don't give out praise willy nilly.

If you don't read or listen to these people then you could think the Irish team gets off easily but I think the rugby guys get it harder than any other sport in Ireland.

Once you discount that the vast majority of soccer coverage and "hard" analysis is actually not of Irish interest,

tbh with the exception of Wood I can't stand any of the above. And even Wood had a rake of howlers in the WC with his predictions of 3 point victories which turned out to be 15+ point advantages. The rest of them played rugby back in the days before professionalism, its an entirely different game now. The likes of Hook just exists to be controversial and contrarian, ever since his prediction that "Ireland can't beat South Africa" before we went ahead and beat them I just have no time for the man and his 'opinions'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Meh mostly in glorified friendlies. When it comes to knock out rugby well I mean we've never won a knock out match!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Since Arg joined the Tri Nations our record against the top 3 is W2 L3, with 2 LBP's in those losses.

Huh? LBPs? In what comp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Huh? LBPs? In what comp?

It's not literal, It's an analogy that explains we lost by less than 7, I assume.

• Site Banned Posts: 12 JulianSNZ

No. I can't be proud of us or any of the 6 Nations teams. This world cup served to confirm that the Rugby Championship is the elite level and the 6 Nations is 2nd tier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Four, you say. Legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

Honestly I was surprised at my own reaction to the loss against Argentina, I really felt heartbroken for the best part of a week and I still find it hard to believe that we were knocked out by Argentina. I was convinced that it had destroyed all of the good things we have achieved in the previous two years. However with a bit of time I'm still disappointed with what happened but let's have some sense about the situation - we were missing arguably our four best players. The bit that still baffles me though is how we came back into the game so well and then just suddenly capitulated at the end of it.

BUT why were we so bad in the warm ups? Why were we so bad against Italy? Why did Les Kiss get everything so wrong against Argentina?

In answer to the question - No I don't feel proud at all of what they achieved and I feel quite horrible having to say that after all of the hopes and expectations that I had going into the world cup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

I am proud of the Irish players and I mean Irish. From the four provinces of Ireland or from abroad with Irish parents or moved here when they were kids. Basically would support Ireland if they weren't good enough to play for Ireland.

The habit of encouraging failed Springboks to pull on a different shade of green sickens me.

Advertisement