Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you "proud" of the Irish Rugby team and how they did in RWC2015?

Options
  • 08-11-2015 8:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Well I wouldn't say that I'm proud. I was happy to beat France the crowning achievement of an acceptable tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Had high hopes of them reaching the finals but proud non the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No, didn't reach their potential imho.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

Interesting that the first few posts seem to aggree with my OP.

So this raises 2 interesting questions:

1. Do the players think they did us proud?
    2. If so, where do they get this belief? And will it lead to perennial under-achievement?

It would seem to contrast with the attitude of other nations ... I seem to remember Jean De Villiers saying something like SA would be in flames if there was another performance like they had against Japan. Is the difference between winners and under-achievers?

We didn't lose to Japan.

Heaslip is captain, what else is he going to say? The team should have been aiming for a semi, maybe final and I can guarantee that while proud of their efforts and prep, they won't be happy to have exited at the stage and manner they did.

I know the lads back at Leinster are fairly disgusted with themselves and SOB is supposedly an absolute bull having messed up and not made the semi cos of the card.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Yes.

I'm not sure what you want out of Heaslip. He's the captain and isn't representing himself, he represents the team and his comments reflect on them. The team can be proud of their effort, the work they did in the run up to the QF and not ignore that effort because of one poor performance. As much as the fans are disappointed, the players are experiencing another level of dejection.

I've a mate and a relative involved in different capacities with the squad or members of the squad.

Regardless of everything above, the players have to put a positive outlook on this tournament. They've a six nations in a few months and sports people have to be positive and keep moving forward. It would be a lot easier to wallow in self pity and Mike Brown their way through interviews, but they are being good role models and moving on.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think the hoops that people/journalists are jumping through here to pin terms like "proud" and "heroic" on the players shows just how much of a straw man argument this has become.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

it's just a bloody saying!

what do you want people to say to him in public?

• Advertisement

You've said yourself Heaslip had to be pushed into saying he was proud. At the f*cking web summit of all places. Now you suddenly seem to be certain that the entire team are proud of their achievements. Seems you've moved quite a long away in a very short amount of time on that one...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Well I for one am proud of how the players dealt with the continual injuries and loss of key players during the France game, and went on to win.

I'm proud of how they fought back to get within 3 points of Argentina.

Am I disappointed they didn't go further?

For sure, but I can't see how losing those five players through injury/suspension didn't inhibit them dreadfully.

What do you want, for them to fall on their swords and say they were terrible? They weren't, they suffered a huge loss of key players, and went on to do the best they could on the day.

Well I assumed, maybe incorrectly, that you think this based on the fact you've created a thread in which to complain about it, it's inductive. Are you saying you don't think the team feel that way then?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Schmidt himself said that the biggest disapointment was letting the fans down.

What more do you want?

• Advertisement

Well surely Schmidt saying he is disappointed is enough, if the coach isn't happy with the achivements, then there needs to be improvement.

Schmidt however has also said that the huge loss of multiple key players affected the team. Do you disagree with that?

Right, so either you DO think they're proud of what they've achieved and you just don't want to say so for "some strange reason". Or you DON'T think they're proud of what they've achieved and this thread is pointless. Either way I don't think there's little to actually be gained here.

The team have been criticised a lot since the game. Criticism is worthwhile when it's based in reality rather than on guesses and intimations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,606 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Heaslip pretty honestly said in his first interview that he thought he had let us down. He did let us down.

That said I am proud. I would be prepared to wear my Ireland 2015 RWC Jersey into a sports bar in Australia, South Africa, Wales, France, England, Argentina or Scotland and I wouldn't be worried that a fan from another country would come up and talk to me about the world cup, and that is pride right?

I don't wish this world cup didn't happen, or dread what paper writers all over the world would make of our campaign. I was disappointed that the way the fixtures panned out we didn't get a win worth writing about, but **** them who did?

We didn't have a world cup worth boasting about, we didn't have one to hide away from either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Mixed feelings, I felt all along the last couple of years that we were slightly overachieving with a fairly moderate squad but in reality we played 3 games at the tournament and we didn't really deliver. We beat a poor Italian side with a full strength side very unconvincingly. We did well to pull through against France after the injuries we suffered but in all honesty France were a clueless shambles. Argentina, even allowing for the injuries the fact we were so far off the pace from the off was unforgivable. First box kick that went up should have been signal for Ireland to get the defensive line up and set the tone for the day. Instead Argentina gathered in comfort and started on the attack. It set the tone for the opening 20 minutes or so. We eventually got someway towards what was needed on the day but failed to capitalise on the momentum we had generated before falling away again. For me the World Cup was a failure and unlike Wales and Scotland there wasn't really anything for us to take from this heading into the 6 nations.

This World Cup wasn't as hard to take as 2011 as Australia would have swatted us aside if we had got to the semi-final whereas in 2011 there was a clear pathway to the final visible for us.

I still think Joe Schmidt is the right man to lead us forward. Leinster played great rugby at times during his tenure, we have rarely seen that from Ireland and there has all along been a noticeable tendency towards low risk rugby. We need to shift our focus heading forward if we are to stabilise and narrow the gap to the big sides.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

You're never going to get that.

If every person in a squad of 31 gave their honest view of their team mates and the team it would result in anarchy and the team would just disintegrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

CatFromHue wrote: »
    You're never going to get that.

If every person in a squad of 31 gave their honest view of their team mates and the team it would result in anarchy and the team would just disintegrate.

Lancaster should have told his squad that :)

http://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/featured-post/24355/england-moaners-should-keep-traps-shut-blasts-danny-care/

That's only 2 guys who gave their views and look what it's caused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭corny

'Proud' is a bit OTT.

Do i think we did ourselves justice at the tournament? Maybe. Hard to know where us being poor and the Argies exposing us starts and stops.

Advertisement