Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edinburgh vs Munster; Sat 6 Nov 5:15pm; BBCALBA/Sky Sports

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

it looked like he was out cold to me for a few seconds before he started moving. I don't think he should have been allowed rejoin the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

CatFromHue wrote: »
    it looked like he was out cold to me for a few seconds before he started moving.

That tackle saved our asses. Earls did well not to commit too early and wait until the Edinburgh player was the last man left on the outside.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

tbh i'd like to see it again as it looked like Earls went down like a tonne of bricks without even making much contact with the Edin player.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭phog

aimee1 wrote: »
    But he did tackle him. Thats a yc

Tackling in the air is not a YC. It's a penalty. Bringing him down dangerously can be a YC.

In this case, I thought it was a harsh casll as the Edinburgh player jumped into GdvH as much as GdvH played him.

It was no worse than Rob Kearney last night which iirc wasn't even called back.

What happened after penalty late on at their 5m line? Next time i looked was free kick to them?

Munster opted for a scrum but were penalised, I didn't see the infringement.
    No one else saw Earls lying on the ground not moving at the end and then being allowed to join play?

I saw him down but thought he was moving.

Piss poor game destroyed by a poor ref. Our defence was awful at times. Our points difference reflects that too.

I hoped our backs would produce more but we just kicked the ball back at them and then invariably missed a tackle or two.

Lucky to get the win in the end.

Huge improvement needed for the next two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

The difference ultimately was the 2 or 3 yards Keatley stole on the winning kick while David Wilkinson was talking to the Edinburgh player. Munster made a poor job of seeing that out but were able to rescue the situation. Edinburgh showed once again they are a decent side but they lack the killer instinct of a big team.

Munster really should have been further clear at half time having been camped in Edinburgh's half for the guts of the 40 minutes but having scored a good try to get ahead, Edinburgh kept Munster in it at times in the 2nd half through their sloppiness and were unable to take any advantage of the sin binnings.

Its been a good start to the season for Munster points wise, they have a lot of tough sides played already and a good chunk of points in the bag which the likes of Glasgow, Leinster and Ulster will have to win back on them.

Whether this team can step it up for Europe is questionable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

phog wrote: »
    Huge improvement needed for the next two weeks.

I don't agree. Stade Francais have been awful this season. They have made some big name signings but I'm not sure if they are going to be played straight away. Stade have a big game at home to Clermont tomorrow evening with will be a good barometer for form but they have won 2 from 7 so far. Jean-Bouin isn't a fortress and I think the fixtures have fallen nicely for Munster: Treviso as a warm-up and then away to a struggling team who will probably lose at Welford Road in Round 1.

I don't agree. Stade Francais have been awful this season. They have made some big name signings but I'm not sure if they are going to be played straight away. Stade have a big game at home to Clermont tomorrow evening with will be a good barometer for form but they have won 2 from 7 so far. Jean-Bouin isn't a fortress and I think the fixtures have fallen nicely for Munster: Treviso as a warm-up and then away to a struggling team who will probably lose at Welford Road in Round 1.

If we kick loose ball back to them and we tackle like we've been doing for the last few games then Stade will score tries.

Now, if we're like the All Black's and can score more than our opponents no matter who they are then there's no worry. However, I fear our defence in cup games, they're usually faster and more intense, giving our lads less time to scramble in defence which at times have kept us in a Pro12 game.

tbh i'd like to see it again as it looked like Earls went down like a tonne of bricks without even making much contact with the Edin player.

Re watched it again, he slumps on the ground but is moving. He ends up kneeling but head still close or touching the ground.

Re. Murray not kicking the ball out after CJs break. It could well be they didn't realise time was up. The stadium clock might not have been working, the ref did a time check with the TMO on about the 73rd minute. BBC Alba mistook it as the ref getting the TMO to check foul play.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

B&I cup next week as well as Euro.

Reckon the Euro squad will be

Killer, Sherry, BJ
    Chisholm, Ryan
    CJ, Coughlan, Copeland
    Murray, Keatley
    Zebo, Hurley, Saili, Earls
    Conway

Casey, Cronin, Sagario, Foley, DOC, TOL, Tyler, Amorosino.

JOD, GVDH with the match day squd

B&I Cup

AN Other, Scannell, Ryan
    Holland, MCCarthy
    Buckley, Doyle, AN Other
    Sheridan, Scannell
    Fitzgerald, Bohane, Johnston, ROM
    Sweetnam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Notfrontrow

Hagz wrote: »
    It does help the game flow. You tell a player not to touch the ball, they don't, no penalty, no stoppage of time, game keeps going.

I agree. And it cuts both ways. Both teams get the opportunity to listen to the refs instructions not to infringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I still don't understand how Munster were penalised in that scrum on Edinburgh's 5m line. I was sitting a few rows in and as per in Murryfield you could quite clearly hear the ref at times but he didnt say anything to encourage them along. The Edinburgh back row didn't seem set either.

The Edinburgh passing was awful, SHC was very rusty, needs to get up to speed quickly for them.
    Anyone else bar Tonks at 10 and it might have gone a different way.

razorblunt wrote: »
    I still don't understand how Munster were penalised in that scrum on Edinburgh's 5m line. I was sitting a few rows in and as per in Murryfield you could quite clearly hear the ref at times but he didnt say anything to encourage them along. The Edinburgh back row didn't seem set either.

The Edinburgh passing was awful, SHC was very rusty, needs to get up to speed quickly for them.
    Anyone else bar Tonks at 10 and it might have gone a different way.

The camera had cut to the sin bin. The ref couldn't be heard giving a reason why he penalised them. I thought it was an early engage but tbh, that was just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I'd really like to see Foley starting J Cronin at LH and bringing Killer into the game at some stage in the 2nd half. We were very lucky to come away from Embra with the win yesterday and that's mainly down to a poor scrummaging effort.

Tweets
    Anthony Foley (@foleyag) tweeted at 8:12 PM on Sat, Nov 07, 2015:
    Apologies for the finish - excellent attitude from the munster men. Good result on the road. @Munsterrugby @MRSC16 #redarmyinthomond
    Conor Murray (@ConorMurray_9) tweeted at 0:35 PM on Sun, Nov 08, 2015:
    Great to be back with @Munsterrugby last night. Was just keeping things interesting at the finish 🏉🙌🏻😬🙏

The camera had cut to the sin bin. The ref couldn't be heard giving a reason why he penalised them. I thought it was an early engage but tbh, that was just a guess.

No definitely wasn't that as the forwards weren't ready to engage, the ref blew and seemed to wave the players away.

razorblunt wrote: »
    No definitely wasn't that as the forwards weren't ready to engage, the ref blew and seemed to wave the players away.

Strange call, maybe the ref thought Munster were time wasting?

Did you travel over to the game? TV picked out a few Munster supporters. Fair play to anyone that travelled over. No directs flights from Shannon to Glasgow or Edinburgh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

Did you travel over to the game? TV picked out a few Munster supporters. Fair play to anyone that travelled over. No directs flights from Shannon to Glasgow or Edinburgh.

What about from Cork? That is in Munster too.

kub wrote: »
    What about from Cork? That is in Munster too.

I know, so is Waterford. What's wrong with what I said?

No I live in Edinburgh. It's a tough watch with the local crowd, so much negativity and constant booing it seems.

Flights from Cork can be expensive too. There's always a decent crowd from Irish living in the city.

• Advertisement
Advertisement