Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6th Annual White Christmas Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,887 ✭✭✭Storm 10

No basis for Met Eireann saying colder from Christmas day.
    A wild comment without foundation

Twill be interesting to see what happens Christmas day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Siobhán's words were "later in the week signs that our weather may turn cooler if not colder...in the latter part of next week..."

That means there are hints that it will become much less mild than of late.

ECM ensemble 850 hPa temperatures and surface pressure for midnight tonight and Christmas Day. Around a 15-degree drop in 850 hPa temps...

ec-ens_millikort_mslpmean_t850mean_t850std_2015121800_024.png

ec-ens_millikort_mslpmean_t850mean_t850std_2015121800_180.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

ECMWF is showing a cool down from 23rd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

29d7ad0.jpg

uPuOrtw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

Pangea wrote: »
    29d7ad0.jpg

uPuOrtw.jpg

I AM JIM CAREY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

gensprobuk-26-156_hzr8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sdeg0PI.jpg

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

It will stay cold on Thursday with afternoon temperatures of just 5 to 8 degrees with the risk of showers turning wintry in the northwest. as per Met Eireann

Still a small chance for Sligo

No 13c in that forecast even though its Xmas Eve but Xmas day will prob start in the single figures too so who knows

Christmas Eve snow showers looking very possible, thanks to the potential storm the day before.

gensprobuk-26-96_hyu3.png

Christmas Day itself...maybe on high ground in the north early in the morning...not looking likely beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Christmas Eve snow showers looking very possible, thanks to the potential storm the day before.

gensprobuk-26-96_hyu3.png

Christmas Day itself...maybe on high ground in the north early in the morning...not looking likely beyond that.

I am watching the northerly mountains here in Kerry for thee.. they were snow scattered last month,,,well when I can see them through the deluges..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It would be so awesome if it became very cold on Christmas Day that then the rain pushing up from the south would turn to heavy snow!

Well, being practical and kind. it is good that people will be able to travel just before and at Christmas and visit families etc. Rather than the total disruption snow brings.. all of us can play in January..Just being kind! My second Christmas in Ireland it snowed as darkness fell on Christmas Eve... magical .up on the mountain watching the flakes fall silently by the tree lights...But I did not venture to Mass that Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Natonstan

I land home from America 5:30AM Christmas Eve morning, do you reckon the snow will stay clear till after I get there? REALLY hoping there's no delays due to the weather

Natonstan wrote: »
    I land home from America 5:30AM Christmas Eve morning, do you reckon the snow will stay clear till after I get there? REALLY hoping there's no delays due to the weather

See what I mean?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Post of the year well done sirðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If there are any delays, it may be due to high winds at the Airports or road obstruction due to flooding, not wintry falls.

Wouldn't be expecting any kind of disruptive snow at all. Just a few light wintry showers coming in from the west is the most likely outcome.

There will be strong winds on the night of the 23rd but they should have cleared by that time hopefully.

Flooding might be a concern over Christmas alright. Spot flooding at least.

Apart from the heavy rain tonight/tomorrow morning, there will also be heavy rain on Wednesday night and then it looks like almost 24 hours of rain from afternoon on Christmas Day to Stephens Day afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

mike2084 wrote: »
    I take it that all serious weather watchers would take this with a pinch of salt....

http://www.joe.ie/news/coldest-and-snowiest-spell-in-some-years-predicted-to-hit-ireland-in-the-next-month/521875
    Just out of curiosity is any of this nonsense challenged afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,887 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Still saying were gonna get heavy snow at Christmas, imagine paying them for this rubbish

http://www.exactaweather.com/ireland-long-range-weather-forecast.html

• Advertisement

Looking pretty wet....

Christmas Eve :

57-779UK_xye6.GIF

Christmas Day :

96-779UK_ikk9.GIF

Rain turning to snow on high ground in the east for a time early on the 24th?

wmtSIbs.png

Would not be at all surprised to see the more northerly mountains up here iced like Christmas Puddings at Christmas... will keep watch of course! Life is so much easier here than it was when I got stuck in snow in Donegal and I can enjoy it now.. Always looks so very primitive here when the snow comes. Kerry mountains 400 asl

GFS ensembles showing about 30-40% risk of rain falling as snow in places early Christmas morning, though this would probably just be on high ground if it did happen.

gensprobuk-26-78_fbq9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

GFS ensembles showing about 30-40% risk of rain falling as snow in places early Christmas morning, though this would probably just be on high ground if it did happen.

gensprobuk-26-78_fbq9.png

It probably says it all that this chance of snow on northern hills represents quite a successful thread this year! Historically we have written off this thread with a week or more to go. Even 2010 wasnt technically a white Christmas eventhough most of us felt like it was as snow was lying in great depths.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It's funny, Fleming came out last Friday there is 0 chance of any snow in Ireland on xmas day. Looking likely it will snow somewhere. I wonder if any stations will record it though.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Would not be at all surprised to see the more northerly mountains up here iced like Christmas Puddings at Christmas... will keep watch of course! Life is so much easier here than it was when I got stuck in snow in Donegal and I can enjoy it now.. Always looks so very primitive here when the snow comes. Kerry mountains 400 asl

The Munster forecast tallies with my instincts...."Tomorrow, Christmas Eve, will be a cold day. Temperatures will only reach 4 or 5 degrees at best and it will be breezy, so feeling colder still. Scattered showers are likely to turn wintry, especially over hills and mountains. Winds will be fresh southwesterly." Just feels right.. Has done all week.. It will be so pretty...The post van had some problem with the lane yesterday so that is it and i am fine. Time to watch the show!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks quite chilly this evening, could be some sleety, snow showers crossing the country... could be a few surprise flakes falling for people going to/ falling out of the pub.

Very much noticeably colder than in recent days.

15122415_2318.gif

15122418_2318.gif

Maybe even a dusting in places

15122500_2318.gif

Showers seem to die out abruptly after midnight, but certainly a more seasonal feeling Xmas Eve and Xmas morning :)

I will be watching the mountains from my north facing window today.. quite sure there will be whiteness atop..Back later!

• Advertisement

As I predicted, the back mountains are snow scattered...photo to come

Advertisement