Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6th Annual White Christmas Thread

Options
  • 04-11-2015 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭

That time of year again folks. Usually start this thread about now. One UK website actually starts on 1 September every year so no need to feel bad about starting in early November.

At this range the only forecast guidance (putting it at its high point!) available is the CFS. Below I have pasted its pressure and 850 uppers temp charts for noon on the big day.

15122500_0400.gif

15122500_0400.gif

Nothing of huge note there (certainly no snow) but there is, fair to say, a while to go so changes could just about occur!

For the record there are Xmas weather updates on both TWO and Netweather but since for now they are simply parroting what the CFS says I won't reference their thoughts for now. I will do nearer the big day when their updates get more frequent and technical.

Ciao for now.....

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Second Update.....

CFS showing December a little cooler than recently but still little of note. A bit of a cold incursion around 11/12 December and, more interestingly, around Stephen's day. Nothing of note though - no snow obvious.

The big day itself is rainy with westerly winds, temps around 9c. See below charts for the big day and, given its proximity, for the minor colder incursion afterwards.

Xmas day...
    15122512_0900.gif

15122512_0900.gif

Stephen's night....
    15122700_0900.gif

Just as a final observation, the CFS shows it being consistently cool (cold at times) from around 10th Jan to mid Feb with 850 hpa uppers at -2 or below at virtually all times and plenty of "pink" all over much of Europe. I attach a typical enough chart from the period....

16012600_0900.gif

Plenty of interest to come accordingly.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

Niiice

I personally have Dec 25 as the first day of snow this Winter in boards contest so prepare for a white out.

Heres what could happen

Nov 11 - 20 Very Mild some brief cool

Nov 20 - Nov 30 More cool windy periods still mild in between

Dec 1 - 10 Renewed mildness

Dec 11 - 15 Cold has another go but only frost

Dec 16 - 24 Mild and calm

Dec 25 - 27 Snow arrives

Its CFS in its fantasia but hey lets pray

Happy New year?

15123000_1000.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The chance of a white Christmas this year is higher than recent years as my probability for a White Christmas is every 5.2 years and the last one I had was 5 years ago back in 2010 which wasn't a real White Christmas in my opinion as there was no FALLING SNOW. 2004 was the last real White Christmas in my area as I remember all the falling snow on Christmas morning when I woke up. Anyway, my probability as a chance of a White Christmas has gone from 1.2% at the end of October to 9.3% - which again is still very low chance! Have to wait a bit longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'll take 5 inches of week old snow on the ground and along the top of the hedge for me Christmas day photo's rather than actually falling snow on the day but no accumulation. Obviously both is perfect but if I had to choose one or t'other....

Hope we get some snow this year so I can refresh my Xmas Snow photo collection. The council changed the streetlamps to lovely white light directed LED fittings earlier this year which should make for nicer photo's than my current Orange jobbies :D

5286459693_6bc95597c8_z.jpg

5287048686_dfd01d80d1_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Bookies have slashed the prices of a White Christmas yet again.

Which means ultimately nothing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Loughc wrote: »
    Bookies have slashed the prices of a White Christmas yet again.

El Nino something something...

Things are generally trending better than they were for a (admittedly still very long odds) White Christmas this year.

With just 900 hrs to go (I know - the anticipation is palpable), the best guidance from the CFS shows a mobile pattern through December with alternating spells of relatively mild and relatively cold weather. For the big day itself the CFS snow accumulation charts are currently showing some of the UK hitting the jackpot - mind you the uppers don't seem to support this at all. See below.

15122512_1800.gif

and

15122512_1800.gif

Meanwhile one reputable UK weather site (TWO) which runs a White Christmas forecast has released a very upbeat update today, the salient bit of which is "...an increased chance of a White Christmas in both the north and south. The reasons for this are:

1) Medium range computer models are showing the possibility of pressure rising to the north and west of the UK at times during the second half of November. This could set the pattern for the early part of the winter and would lead to a higher than average chance of cold snaps or spells.

2) Developments through November to date bear some similarities to previous years which have brought colder than average winters.

At this stage it remains far too early to be confident about the possibilities. Other factors such as the strong El Nino and westerly Quasi-Biennial Oscillation (QBO) favour a mild start to the winter.

The temperature anomaly charts possibly indicate colder snaps being more likely to come from the north west and north rather than east. This would mean snow is more probable in the northern half of the UK and particularly over high ground....
    "

Accordingly some grounds for hope all round (heck its a week when we comfortably qualified for Euro 2016 with Glen Whelan as captain so you kind of think anything could happen right now....)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

A potential Christmas snowfest on the CFS here. Pity it isn't 48 hours out on the GFS instead :pac:

jX6MrnW.png
    OtgSDb6.png

Alas the CFS is not so great 3 days on - current indications are for a mild Christmas period, see below from the CFS:-

15122512_3000.gif

Out of completeness Netweather in the UK's current read is "...this week, the Winter forecast was issued, and following on from the theme of all of the Christmas forecast updates so far, an often unsettled, even stormy December is on the cards.

As we near the end of the month though, the expectation in the winter outlook is for increasingly colder weather to play more of a role across the north of the country at least though..

Meanwhile TWO offer "..a reduced change of a White Christmas in both the north and south of the UK. The reasons for this are:

1) Medium range computer models offer support for a +NAO pattern during the middle part of December and in the run up to Christmas. This would produce a broadly westerly flow across the UK bringing average to mild conditions and only brief colder snaps.

2) Other factors such as the strong El Nino and the westerly Quasi-Biennial Oscillation (QBO) continue to favour a mild start to the winter.

At this stage it remains too early to be confident about the outcome but a green Christmas for most of the UK is strongly favoured. As is usually the case, snow is most likely over high ground in the north
    ...."

Still a good bit away from the major models being in range, and god knows they can be inaccurate at even 10 days, so nothing remotely written in stone yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭mike2084

I take it that all serious weather watchers would take this with a pinch of salt....

http://www.joe.ie/news/coldest-and-snowiest-spell-in-some-years-predicted-to-hit-ireland-in-the-next-month/521875

Getting interesting.....

15122512_0212.gif:)

I won't cross post but some very positive posts in the fi thread. Tonight gfs still promising for the big day. See below...

gfs-2-348.png?18?18

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

Yes, that 0.1mm would be awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I'm predicting 10-13 degrees murky damp weather.about 4-5 degrees difference from mid summer in Ireland.

I'm predicting 10-13 degrees murky damp weather.about 4-5 degrees difference from mid summer in Ireland.

literally the end of May?

sryanbruen wrote: »
    literally the end of May?

Yes precisely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

pauldry wrote: »
    Niiice

I personally have Dec 25 as the first day of snow this Winter in boards contest so prepare for a white out.

Heres what could happen

Nov 11 - 20 Very Mild some brief cool

Nov 20 - Nov 30 More cool windy periods still mild in between

Dec 1 - 10 Renewed mildness

Dec 11 - 15 Cold has another go but only frost

Dec 16 - 24 Mild and calm

Dec 25 - 27 Snow arrives

Its CFS in its fantasia but hey lets pray

Dec 1- 10 should read ''Washout'' !:)

gensprobuk-26-300_uba1.png

How close wii Christmas temperatures be to "summer" temperatures is the big question now?

• Advertisement

How close wii Christmas temperatures be to "summer" temperatures is the big question now?

Bah humbug! Still every chance of a mini cold spell for the big day......

Course in this country its always odds against. In most places near sea level we usually only get snow showers of any sort, say, 4 or 5 times a winter (often much less) so odds of one of those falling on 25 December aren't great.

Well 11 days out and the GFS still wants to give some of us a white Christmas - that's not so bad in this otherwise awful winter. In fact the gfs precipitation charts (which are notoriously inaccurate I should add) have all of us getting in on the act by early morning on Stephen's day. See below....

gfs-2-276.png?6?6

and

gfs-2-288.png?6?6

In fact, to this very untrained eye there is decent enough agreement between the gfs and ecm at day 10. Maybe gfs is on to something? Charts are below. I note MTC didn't rule out a brief Christmas day cold interlude in a post yesterday either......

GFS...

gfs-0-240.png?6?6

ECM...

ECM1-240.GIF

Those large scale charts can be a little but deceiving though. A closer look at the 288 chart show less appealing picture.

35% risk of rain falling as snow above 600m.

gAviDo3.png

Not that those kind of details matter at that kind of FI range though! :P

It snowed in the North and Northwest Saturday so why not Xmas Day.

I dont forsee 13c at all

This mildness will break down Dec 22

Then single digits

One cold night with precipitation of a wintry nature and voila.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

gensprobuk-26-300_uba1.png

Come on ballyhaise snow!

Might as well post this for the laugh every now and then to see how the Christmas Day snow potential looks on the GFS ensembles. It shows the percentage of GEFS members showing snow during that 24 hour period. Don't take it seriously. :P

gensprobuk-26-252_qmw6.png

Im deadly serious

gensprobuk-26-228_rvw5.png

The BBC say it is looking more like a STORMY Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Can't see much of the white stuff here for Christmas Day..... (brandy sauce excluded)

airpressure.png

Advertisement