Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Star Trek TV show - Star Trek Discovery

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Total speculation and jumping to wild conclusions based on uncited 'rumours'. The suggestion The Orville has somehow received the blessing of Trek alumni actually made me laugh. Some of it may be true but it came across like typical YouTube navel-gazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Not the original timeline or the Abrams' timeline, but a third, "reboot" timeine? In part because they don't want to mess with the messy Klingon canon? Oh this is going to suck so bad.

I can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wanted them to do a full on reboot. But I wanted them to bring it up to date with modern scientific knowledge, not go further down the fantasy star wars route. This is turning into a production by committee where they've tried to please everybody and made a complete pile of junk in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,373 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It will Premiere on September 24th on CBS and the second episode will be shown straight after on CBS All Access.

I would guess Confirmed it will appear on Netflix here on the 25th.

The season will be split into two chapters: The first part (eight episodes) will run from September to November, with the second chapter to resume in January 2018.

https://twitter.com/StarTrekNetflix/status/876832355612213248

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wow, an actual air-date. No turning back now!

• Advertisement

It will Premiere on September 24th on CBS and the second episode will be shown straight after on CBS All Access.

I would guess Confirmed it will appear on Netflix here on the 25th.

The season will be split into two chapters: The first part (eight episodes) will run from September to November, with the second chapter to resume in January 2018.

Oh, of course this is still a weekly broadcast. So despite airing on an online, premium channel, they're STILL going to be beholden to US season splits. Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

pixelburp wrote: »
    If I had to guess, I suspect it's a lack of confidence from the money-men that post-Kirk Trek is a strong enough brand. Voyager and DS9 are probably seen as spin-offs that poisoned the TNG well a little

What? It was Enterprise - pre-Kirk - that poisoned the well.

In the words of Futurama's George Takei: Way to ruin the franchise, Bakula!

Zillah wrote: »

Maybe a touch of hyperbole on my part, and while Enterprise was absolutely the kill-shot so to speak, I think the rot set in with Voyager; a fantastic premise that consistently dropped the ball. And while latterly there has been a retrospective groundswell of support for DS9 (myself included), IIRC it got a lukewarm reception at the time. In either case, neither show pierced the non-fan public consciousness in the same way TNG managed, though Netflix & co. could change that.

Ultimately I don't get the impression CBS / Paramount actually know what to do with Star Trek, hence this third time they've explored the Kirk'y era (if we include the Kelvinverse). They have one of the biggest fictional franchises around yet have no clue how to use it. Meanwhile, half of Hollywood are dredging up any half-baked idea for their own 'shared universe'...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,681 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Awe come on now thats a bit harsh. It was not Scott Bukala,s fault that Enterprise failed. It was the producers for going back in the past and then not knowing what to do with it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Oh, of course this is still a weekly broadcast. So despite airing on an online, premium channel, they're STILL going to be beholden to US season splits. Sigh.

I think the mid-season split is to give them even more time to finish off production on the later episodes. Those new Klingon make-up designs take forever to apply!
    Maybe a touch of hyperbole on my part, and while Enterprise was absolutely the kill-shot so to speak, I think the rot set in with Voyager; a fantastic premise that consistently dropped the ball. And while latterly there has been a retrospective groundswell of support for DS9 (myself included), IIRC it got a lukewarm reception at the time. In either case, neither show pierced the non-fan public consciousness in the same way TNG managed, though Netflix & co. could change that.

Ultimately I don't get the impression CBS / Paramount actually know what to do with Star Trek, hence this third time they've explored the Kirk'y era (if we include the Kelvinverse). They have one of the biggest fictional franchises around yet have no clue how to use it. Meanwhile, half of Hollywood are dredging up any half-baked idea for their own 'shared universe'...

I think thats the saddest thing of all really. They've had this "shared universe" before there was even such a thing and they still can't seem to branch off and try something different.

Enterprise went back to the past, the movies went back to the past to create alternate timelines and this show is going back to the past yet again. But I guess at least this time they aren't going with a ship called enterprise....... :pac:

Although the same trepidation can been seen in the Star Wars movie juggernaut. Hopefully after their young Han Solo/ young Boba Fett / young Lando movies, they'll feel confident enough to venture off into some other as-yet-unseen part of the Star Wars universe.

I'm still looking forward to seeing Michelle Yeoh commanding a starship though. BRING IT ON!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

DS9 hit its stride when it had an enemy in the Dominion. I liked Voyager but when they were able to defeat the Borg on a weekly basis it got annoying. Enterprise really picked up once they got the ongoing story with the Xindi. I thought it was a decent series until the bad finale.

Think I've said before but the main problem with setting before the other series is that you're limiting what aliens can be used. Remember fitting the Ferengi into Enterprise?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I think the mid-season split is to give them even more time to finish off production on the later episodes. Those new Klingon make-up designs take forever to apply!

We're in an era where companies like Netflix are able to drop entire series (eg the Expanse) in one block. I would suspect the split has more to do with CBS trying to hold viewers' interest in this streaming service they're launching. If CBS released Discovery in a single run I'd imagine there would be an exodus of viewers from the streaming service once the show has finished the season.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Greyjoy wrote: »
    We're in an era where companies like Netflix are able to drop entire series (eg the Expanse) in one block
    The Expanse aired weekly on SyFy in the US. It only dropped in one block here after it finished airing.

Apparently the Netflix international deal covers production costs. Americans seem very unhappy that they have to subscribe to another service to see it (boo hoo..).

Greyjoy wrote: »
    We're in an era where companies like Netflix are able to drop entire series (eg the Expanse) in one block. I would suspect the split has more to do with CBS trying to hold viewers' interest in this streaming service they're launching. If CBS released Discovery in a single run I'd imagine there would be an exodus of viewers from the streaming service once the show has finished the season.

Not to be pedantic, but The Expanse is a ScyFy Channel production, and both seasons to date aired weekly on the channel; no sign yet of Season 2 appearing on Netflix (though way back when there was a vague promise that it'd air weekly on Netflix too, so dunno what happened there).

Supposedly the reason for the season split with Star Trek is that the back half will still be in post-production during the break. I'm a bit confused because I was sure I read the Season Order was bumped up to 18 episodes, whereas reports yesterday still spoke of the original 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I read the Season Order was bumped up to 18 episodes, whereas reports yesterday still spoke of the original 13.

Wikipedia states 15.

"Star Trek: Discovery is set to debut on CBS with a two-part premiere in "fall" 2017, before moving to All Access. The first season will consist of 15 episodes."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Discovery

Alex Kurtzman's involvement is by far my biggest concern. Otherwise totally looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm not sure whole season drops are really good for a show anyway. Imagine if whole seasons of Lost had dropped all at once. There would have been less complaining and hate-watching, but there also wouldn't have been much to talk about. I think it works with Netflix shows to an extent because many of these shows aren't designed to last that long. I mean, they might last a few seasons, but they aren't going to be the next Sopranos or Mad Men, the success of which had a lot to do with the water cooler factor.

Ms

So what are peoples thoughts on the look off the Discovery now?

I have heard it has negative space in between the inside and outside sections of the saucer. It will be interesting to see why this is? It looks better than the first version of it we have seen but I have also seen some fan versions that I thought looked better and would have been even nicer.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Not to be pedantic, but The Expanse is a ScyFy Channel production, and both seasons to date aired weekly on the channel; no sign yet of Season 2 appearing on Netflix (though way back when there was a vague promise that it'd air weekly on Netflix too, so dunno what happened there).

Supposedly the reason for the season split with Star Trek is that the back half will still be in post-production during the break. I'm a bit confused because I was sure I read the Season Order was bumped up to 18 episodes, whereas reports yesterday still spoke of the original 13.

I have never seen The Expanse on Syfy. Are you sure they had it on here? Dark Matter and Killjoys do be on it but not The Expanse.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    I have never seen The Expanse on Syfy. Are you sure they had it on here? Dark Matter and Killjoys do be on it but not The Expanse.

Absolutely 100%. It's a ScyFy production, and arguably their biggest critical hit since Battlestar Galactica:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expanse_(TV_series)

AMKC wrote: »
    So what are peoples thoughts on the look off the Discovery now?

The early images were the ugliest fupping thing I've seen this side of Andromeda. We barely catch a glimpse of it in the trailer so nothing has really changed. They appear to have kept that awful triangular wedge shape though.

I really think Michelle Yeoh as a Starfleet Captain is fantastic casting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The early images were the ugliest fupping thing I've seen this side of Andromeda. We barely catch a glimpse of it in the trailer so nothing has really changed. They appear to have kept that awful triangular wedge shape though.

I really think Michelle Yeoh as a Starfleet Captain is fantastic casting.

The ship in the trailer isn't the Discovery, it's the Shenzhou.

The ship in the trailer isn't the Discovery, it's the Shenzhou.

Wait, what? This?
    sYuG2pr.jpg

I am so confused. Is the show set on the USS Discovery or the USS Shenzhou?

Ms

Wait, what? This?
    sYuG2pr.jpg

We think it might be set on two ship either that or the Shenzhou gets destroyed early on sometime.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Wait, what? This?
    sYuG2pr.jpg

This is Discovery:

StarTrek_Digital_Teaser_fnl_ship.jpg

It's so ugly. All the flashy effects in the world won't fix horrible geometry.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,730 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

More info on First Officer Michael Burnham
    We can tell you that Burnham is fully human (not half-Vulcan as some have speculated) and is the first human to attend the Vulcan Learning Center as a child and then the Vulcan Science Academy as a young woman. She has a close relationship with Sarek (James Frain), the father of Spock. For the past seven years, she’s been serving on the U.S.S. Shenzhou.

“I’m the first officer on the U.S.S. Shenzhou that is captained by Captain Philippa Georgiou, who is played by the amazing Michelle Yeoh,” she says. “I have an inner war and it’s a journey of self discovery and finding out what it means to be alive, to be human, to be a Starfleet officer, what it means to be a hero.”

It's the Worf story then mixed with elements of TOS Spock.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

• Registered Users Posts: 60,373 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ye looks very by the numbers to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Very meh...

I'm more excited for this:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Looking forward to both tbh!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement