Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Star Trek TV show - Star Trek Discovery

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hello to Jason Isaacs!

So he has been cast as the captain of the titular Discovery, Captain Lorca, at least according to the Hollywood Reporter anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,370 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A very good choice to be the lead actor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A very good choice to be the lead actor.

Ah but if the tattle about this show is to be believed, he ain't the lead; it's Sonequa Martin's Lt. Rainsford, the second in command. So I suspect Isaacs will pop up in any bridge or ready-room scenes & that'll be it.

That would be such a waste of a talent like Isaacs if they are only going use him as a sounding board character for the rest of the cast to bounce off.

This whole project just seems to be a complete mess looking at it from the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That would be such a waste of a talent like Isaacs if they are only going use him as a sounding board character for the rest of the cast to bounce off.

This whole project just seems to be a complete mess looking at it from the outside.

What shows has in been in before? Has he been a lead in any of them?

Am sure if he is a good actor then maybe the Captain of the Discovery will get plenty of screen time too and more than just the bits you think. Riker got plenty of good screen time in TNG and he was only 2nd in Command.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SoftMicro

AMKC wrote: »

Am sure if he is a good actor then maybe the Captain of the Discovery will get plenty of screen time too and more than just the bits you think. Riker got plenty of good screen time in TNG and he was only 2nd in Command.

He was the lead in a TV show called Brotherhood. I thought he was great in that.

Lucius Malfoy as a Captain in Starfleet maybe he'll be an evil Captain :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

AMKC wrote: »

Is he not main due in the OA

Rainn Wilson to play a legendary character
    Harry Mudd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

Jason Isaacs in a supporting role as the captain is an interesting choice.

I wonder if the producers are hedging. If Senoqua Martin-Green's lead character doesn't hold the publics attention they can easily change to a more standard Trek series with the captain as the main character. I don't think Isaacs is high profile enough for him to steal the show (à la Martin Sheen in The West Wing) but he's certainly capable and recognisable enough to take the lead should it be deemed necessary.

Having said that I'm really looking forward to seeing what Martin-Green can do in the role. I feel that her character in TWD isn't challenging her at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Ill keep expectations low, fully expecting it to be a pile of kaka

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Ms

http://trekmovie.com/2017/05/16/star-trek-discovery-will-be-intelligent-cinematic-and-grittier-says-cbs-exec/

Well at least they are saying the right things. Hope its true and its not just all big explosions and fighting. Hope it is well scripted and written with stories that ask questions about the human condition and real world issues but in the way that Star Trek does it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Trailer was released on the CBS website but locked to the USA.

Someone has it on vimeo here: https://vimeo.com/217909620

Here's the CBS site in case they change their minds:
    http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-discovery/video/LeDfVOm_JkJcYJF9ju2izuFJBnF_qJsG/star-trek-discovery-first-look-trailer/

Netflix have a different trailer up. I think it's a tidier trailer:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So the new aliens are Klingons after all...

Not sure what I think of that trailer to be honest... will need to sleep on it

wow, everythings getting taken off youtube.

They've put it on their twitter:
    https://twitter.com/StarTrekNetflix/status/864967404933140480

Ms

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeB-_XjcTNs

Not everything just need to look deeper.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Not sure about that trailer it really didn't grab me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Before Kirk, things looked like this:

DAD3jjdW0AANkUf.jpg:large

Prequels...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,467 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That looks pretty polished. Some nice digital effects work.

Hard to judge much else from that trailer though.

Im just afraid they will kill the older style and go for adhd effects and pacing and try to make it more like the movies. They did some of the filming in Jordan so it should look good . Something about the Captain not being the lead character? that is kind of weird. will keep expectations super low

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Why before Kirk again, why!!

Didn't they learn from Enterprise? UGH!

It does look good tho visually, they've taken a lot from Abrams presentation.

I've read a fair bit from those behind the show, albeit mostly from executives, and I've yet to come across a justification for the era.

If I had to guess, I suspect it's a lack of confidence from the money-men that post-Kirk Trek is a strong enough brand. Voyager and DS9 (though recent opinions are revising the initial poor reception of the latter) are probably seen as spin-offs that poisoned the TNG well a little - witness Paramounts absolutely dismissal of any BluRay remastering of those series.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

pixelburp wrote: »
    I've read a fair bit from those behind the show, albeit mostly from executives, and I've yet to come across a justification for the era.

If I had to guess, I suspect it's a lack of confidence from the money-men that post-Kirk Trek is a strong enough brand. Voyager and DS9 (though recent opinions are revising the initial poor reception of the latter) are probably seen as spin-offs that poisoned the TNG well a little - witness Paramounts absolutely dismissal of any BluRay remastering of those series.

A re-watch of DS9 last year and im currently rewatching Voyager now i'd still rank them very highly.

But yeah, Paramount have really dropped the ball with Star Trek.

Vicxas wrote: »
    A re-watch of DS9 last year and im currently rewatching Voyager now i'd still rank them very highly.

But yeah, Paramount have really dropped the ball with Star Trek.

also all the stuff with going after fan made media has probably peed off a lot of hard core fans.

I don't think I could rewatch Voyager but could imagine rewatching DS9 and wouldn't rewatch Enterprise even if paid :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I liked it overall. Less keen on the Abrams inspired aesthetics, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

So it looks like when it says "10 years before Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise" it referring to the Abramsverse versions based on the overall look , the uniforms and the redesigned Into the Darknessesque Klingons. Makes sense I suppose to tie it into the aesthetic of current trek films rather then tying themselves up in knots trying to blend in with the Aesthetics of the Original series/films.

Midight's Edge recent news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

^^ If even half of that is true, Discovery is pretty much dead from the off - "The Orville" wasn't something I was aware of though.. interesting!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement