Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Yawns wrote: »
    If it was over-sized or labelled wrong with the ridiculously long ap number, at least I wouldn't need to trouble their admin staff and just deal direct with the seller instead of having to communicate between both parties with both blaming each other.

:(

This is a big failing of these parcel forwarding services imo.

I had an item go missing from Amazon seller to Parcel Motel. Courier had a POD which was signed "Parcel Motel".

Parcel motel said that thats not how they sign.

Amazon seller said as far as he was concerned it was delivered.

Courier said they delivered.

Tried to invoke help from Amazon and they said they dont deal with issues involving parcel forwarding services.

Sounds like you are going to have similar issues with An Posts service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Yawns wrote: »
    PM is €3.95 a "stay" for regular items. I'd imagine any photo id is fine but if you have a passport or drivers licence, I'd bring that. If you do use a work id and it's accepted, please let us know how you get on.

As for my item, I'm awaiting the courier to resend it, but the response from Address Pal staff has not impressed me at all. No call back despite promised one and email responses have been nothing but "our staff won't accept oversized items or items without address" despite me already confirming with seller the size / weight and address label being fine. After communicating this again to the An Post / Address Pal email, they asked me to ask for a photo from courier etc. No answer to why they can't give a proper reason for refusal at all. I think it'd be easier for their own staff to have proper reasons in their own system. Ie Item refused for oversized or item refused due to excessive dmg to parcel/packaging. Just labeling it as not required is a pita.

If it was over-sized or labelled wrong with the ridiculously long ap number, at least I wouldn't need to trouble their admin staff and just deal direct with the seller instead of having to communicate between both parties with both blaming each other.

:(

Oh man, that's a head melt. What is the reasoning behind an oversized package? Of course they will charge you more for a large package. It's such a pity cause it's neither yours or the sellers fault, it's the depo in the UK. I hope they get it sorted for you fast!

Well on my end just after I posted here I got a sms saying a package was ready to be collected. Went up to the GPO, asked security which counter to go to, no idea, staff member Saif to go to stamp counter, grand, went over spoke to an older lady, she took my AP card and my work id no problem but it was her first time doing it, so took her 's while to go through the motions, which is grand guess. Small package, €3.50, save about €5 on postage there as it was free UK delivery. I will say, my AP address was clear on the front of the package with a barcode to send it to my selected PO here. Maybe with your package, whoever put the barcode sticker on maybe covered your AP address? Something so stupid like that should be solved easily. But it might be something the English PO did before it arrived at the AP destination.

I get that the staff don't really know much about addresspal just yet as two other ladies watched what to do as the lady serving me very cautiously went through the (I would think) simple programme, so it might be a little slow to start.

But there you go. Hope that helps at least a tiny bit for some people on here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Glad you got it and quick. I'm hoping it's something silly like a sticker being placed over it, but at this stage it may well be a chance of simply letting it be returned to seller for a full refund. If it turns out to be that, I'll most likely not bother with Address Pal again.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

I got my Amazon order last week through Address Pal. All went pretty easily for me. It was delivered in the UK on Monday, and I got a text and email then on Thursday to say it was ready. Needed to show the Address Pal email and an ID, they accepted my work badge, and that was it. Fairly simple, and saved me about £30.

One thing I thought was a little odd was the info on the tracking in Amazon. It stated the following
    Parcel was left in mail room
    The parcel was delivered to Pal, St Albans, GB
    Parcel left in the mail room had me worried that it was just dropped off with no one around. Still, it arrived safe and sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hey folks, who would be the best to order a heavy shipment through?

I'm ordering from the UK, cost for mainland UK delivery is £18, to an NI address is £27 and to ROI address is £69.

I'm ordering 3x van batteries with a total weight of about 55kg and package size, probably 400x550x400 or something like that.

Any advice appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

cormie wrote: »

I'm ordering from the UK, cost for mainland UK delivery is £18, to an NI address is £27 and to ROI address is £69.

I'm ordering 3x van batteries with a total weight of about 55kg and package size, probably 400x550x400 or something like that.

None of the parcel forwarding services will work for you.

I think best would be to try to get a quote on parcel2go or similar parcel service brokers, if seller allow parcel to be collected by a 3rd party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

nava wrote:
    None of the parcel forwarding services will work for you.

Not true, parcel motel will work. They charge an extra €8 and you can collect your oversized/overweight package from the Dublin depot or arrange nightline to deliver it to your home or business.

Have done this several times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

actually my mistake just remembered the courier used was UPS,but it seems most online companies have deals with different ones they use,so just ask retailer whats your options with them-since directly handed is way cheaper then sent trough one courier onto another.as said it was about 16£-18£ pounds for 25kg box.dimensions were 70cm x 130 x 60

Thanks, I think going parcel motel > collect in finglas might be the best option actually, have done it before and it was no problem, just wasn't sure if there were better options now with parcel wizard and address pal, but it's probably my best bet if it's £27 to NI and then €11.95 fee PM fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Charlie L

cormie wrote: »

Parcel Motel will cost you the NI charge plus 7 euro to collect from their Dublin depot (according to your weight/dimensions). If your supplier can use transglobalexpress.co.uk (a broker), the UPS cost is about 30 pounds (about the same as PM, except it will be delivered to your address).....you can go on to their website and get a quote with all the options. ( I had someone in the UK ship me a 25kg guitar amp advertised on gumtree uk - it cost 20 euro with DPD through the broker........DPD won't quote for private customers).

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot. I've already ordered it to parcel motel but that's some good info for next time :) It's no big hassle for me to go to Finglas either so it's all good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brianeoc

Quick question, Has anyone attempted to get perfume delivered? I know it's not allowed by addresspal and I know you'd run the risk of losing your money on your purchase but I'm just wondering if anyone has tried it? There's massive savings to be had.

Cheers
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 38,823 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Yes, earlier in the thread, and yes, quite successfully.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brianeoc

Thanks for that. Did the order only have perfume in it or did you order other items as well?

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Perfume and aftershave get delivered fine by all the companies, I've had litre bottles of ink also
    They don't seem to mind about liquid or don't notice it

brianeoc wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Did the order only have perfume in it or did you order other items as well?

Thanks again
    It wasn't me, was somebody else on the thread (perhaps two people mentioned it).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I've had perfume delivered through Addresspal from Amazon. I knew it wasn't allowed, I ordered it anyway, crime of the century. :pac:

For me Addresspal with their mainland UK address was the exact reason I used them for ordering Perfume from Amazon as they won't ship to NI or ROI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Got another item yesterday, process is definitely speeding up, staff all know how to do it now. Just have to work out the best time to go in to avoid the dole queue, 2.30 seems to work.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Aftershave and aerosols both delivered- no issues encountered.
    Also managed to hit the 20kg limit with an APC unit that I got at an auction- also without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭damemcd

Got doul aftershave from amazon no problem.....missis still thinks im a smelly ....... tho..

• Advertisement

Whoever designed this service in An Post should really read up on "design thinking" which looks at things from the point of view of the end-user experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Not sure if this asked earlier...

but if I give this UK address to a seller in Hong Kong for an item that would have attracted Irish Customs Duties and /or VAT due to its value.... will charges apply going into the UK as well???

If not.... will I get caught from UK to Ireland then????

Just a query??

glasso wrote: »
    Whoever designed this service in An Post should really read up on "design thinking" which looks at things from the point of view of the end-user experience.

What's wrong with the design then ?
    Works alright

Works alright

It works "ok" but is all designed from the point-of-view of An Post's internal system, rather than the customer

e.g. huge code which is all about identifying the post office and sort centre the item has to go rather than thinking about the problems a long code creates

no intermediate information e.g. item received by An Post, where item is now in system etc.

glasso wrote: »
    It works "ok" but is all designed from the point-of-view of An Post's internal system, rather than the customer

e.g. huge code which is all about identifying the post office and sort centre the item has to go rather than thinking about the problems a long code creates

no intermediate information e.g. item received by An Post, where item is now in system etc.

Code doesn't bother me I've added it to eBay
    Updates don't bother me either, if it's shipped direct to my house I pay more or can't even buy the item and I don't get updates
    When a customer base is built up they may add features to it, like dpd parcel wizard are introducing an app with new features, pointless doing all that if they don't have many customers to start with

Code doesn't bother me I've added it to eBay
    Updates don't bother me either, if it's shipped direct to my house I pay more or can't even buy the item and I don't get updates
    When a customer base is built up they may add features to it, like dpd parcel wizard are introducing an app with new features, pointless doing all that if they don't have many customers to start with

parcel motel for example, had these features from the start.

my point was that it was about the design of the thing was done very much on an internal organisation focus, not from the customer's perspective. the sort of thing that you'd expect from a semi-state.

it suits some people if you've no parcel motel nearby or on the odd occasion where you need a mainland UK address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭NeverWaining

Masala wrote: »
    Not sure if this asked earlier...

but if I give this UK address to a seller in Hong Kong for an item that would have attracted Irish Customs Duties and /or VAT due to its value.... will charges apply going into the UK as well???

If not.... will I get caught from UK to Ireland then????

Just a query??

If it's caught for customs in the UK I think AddressPal will just refuse to accept the delivery.

If it did get through you wouldn't have to pay customs between the UK and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

If it's caught for customs in the UK I think AddressPal will just refuse to accept the delivery.

If it did get through you wouldn't have to pay customs between the UK and Ireland.

Would Hong Kong to UK be free as part of the Commonwealth etc setup??? I am just shooting from hip here....a presumption I would have in my mind!!! I could be wrong....just wondering if UK treats stuff coming in from the Commonwealth as 'domestic'....

Just have a seller who wont sell to Ireland but will to UK. D'ont want any hassle if gonna get caught to be sent back. At least Irish Customs will drop me a note saying there is money owing before it is released

Works alright

Not every seller will cut and paste that overly long code number successfully, and many still write them out, so can't be bothered to include it at all.
    I've had both.
    Even with Parcel Connect, with their much shorter customer number, I've had that.

• Advertisement

I use all three companies and only parcel motel number has been missed by asda
    Most sellers copy it done perfectly or print address labels, I'm getting 6-10 deliveries a week and so far no problems with any of the companies apart from a mix up with a dpd driver

Advertisement