Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    finally got to the bottom of what's happened to my delivery. First time attempted delivery at uk address was refused, didn't state why on the courier website. Second attempt, delivered fine and signed for. Logged back into the parcelforce (courier) site today and it says parcel was returned as it was damaged.
    Fair enough but it would be nice if an post gave some updates. Leaves me kind of screwed as parcelforce are holding the package and won't send it back to the sender unless they get in touch requesting it back.

To be fair if the parcel was damaged then any updates in relation to the status of it should have been sought from Parcelforce and not An Post since they didn't accept it.

In relation to Parcelforce holding the packaging, this is a little strange as normally they'll return the parcel if damaged although depending on contents perhaps they are unable to do this due to health and safety reasons. It would however by normal enough for some carriers to only take specific actions when the sender contacts them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

Anyone know how long it takes a package to arrive in the post office l once it's been delivered at the UK hub?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

wtlltw wrote: »
    Anyone know how long it takes a package to arrive in the post office l once it's been delivered at the UK hub?

https://addresspal.anpost.ie/Home/FAQ#Q3
    3. How long does delivery take

Your AddressPal item will usually be delivered to your selected Post Office within 3 working days of receipt to our UK Address. Your AddressPal item can then be collected within the next 5 working days.

Mine took 2 working days for my delivery to local post office,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

^ thanks

Went to my post office and they informed it came in yesterday but they refused it as it was missing one number. (Sender couldn't print out the full 14 digits).
    So now I have to go to the sorting office on Monday and find out where it is. Think I'll stick with parcel motel, even when my pm number was missing they have located the package without fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

The big issue for me is the €50 charge for oversize parcels.

Recently got car parts delivered to PM.
    Two rubber door seals about 20mm in diameter and 500mm long for about £10 on ebay. The packaging however was a cardboard tube nearly twice as long as it needed to be, so put it into the oversize limit, even though the package weighed less than .2 of a kilo.

I was annoyed to get hit with PMs surcharge for it. A €50 charge for it would have been totally out of order.

Also. Picking up an item at your local sorting office should be an option.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭nava

MOD: Thread on Sticky now

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭bronn

Glad I read about the dimensions here first as I almost ordered two identical products on Amazon at 52cm x 7.3cm x 37cm (1.3kgs). Only one side, the 37cm, is over the maximum dimension allowed so I'd have been hit with €50. Factor in the packaging for the two items and that 37cm could be almost 40cm.

That is a huge surcharge for something that would end up with far less surface area than their allowed maximum (96cm3). Also, you never know with Amazon because sometimes they pack stuff in rather big boxes.

Dammit - I really wanted to use this service. Parcel Motel is great 90% of the time but the UK mainland address solved a lot of problems. Will drop An Post a line about this, just in case they want the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Got a letter today about change of price for items over 71x31x25.
    Its now €25 but must be under length 1.5 metres and girth 3 metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

How do you trace missing parcels? Hopefully I won't need to but mine is overdue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

blade1 wrote: »
    Got a letter today about change of price for items over 71x31x25.
    Its now €25 but must be under length 1.5 metres and girth 3 metres.
    They claim they possess some common sense and apply it to parcel sizes but coming from An Post I'm not sure I would trust that.

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    They claim they possess some common sense and apply it to parcel sizes but coming from An Post I'm not sure I would trust that.

They will contact you beforehand so you won't get stung for 25 without knowing.
    By the way, i have got stuff the last 3 days and today was the first day i got hit for the full €3.50 so introductory €1 offer must have ended yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 whitneytfc

Hi!

Not sure if this is the correct section. I ordered something using an post's parcel motel equivalent. Just wondering if anyone has used it before and how long delivery to the post office takes? It says within 3 working days. It arrived with them at 12 today so would that be tomorrow or Friday, or Friday/Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭IrishBlaine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

I picked up my first AddressPal delivery yesterday at my local post office.

The service worked perfectly. I used it instead of PM 'cause the seller would only deliver free to the UK mainland.

I get the impression that the service is a bit more secure than PM. I had to present photo ID etc and sign at the post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Does anyone know if it's necessary to present the address pal card? Seems a little unnecessary if you have ID? It's just one more card to carry around. I always refuse loyalty cards and stuff in shops I frequent just so I don't have another card to look at :D

I used address pal for a UK company who would only deliver to mainland (or it was too expensive otherwise) and it worked perfect. The package was big enough and was only €3.50. No complaints but Parcel Wizard is still my number one choice, being able to get it delivered straight to the door, but they each definitely have their own advantages so great to have all 3 available :)

A US service would be brilliant. I wonder how the customs would work and if they would just deal with specific sites.

cormie wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's necessary to present the address pal card? Seems a little unnecessary if you have ID? It's just one more card to carry around. I always refuse loyalty cards and stuff in shops I frequent just so I don't have another card to look at :D

I used address pal for a UK company who would only deliver to mainland (or it was too expensive otherwise) and it worked perfect. The package was big enough and was only €3.50. No complaints but Parcel Wizard is still my number one choice, being able to get it delivered straight to the door, but they each definitely have their own advantages so great to have all 3 available :)

A US service would be brilliant. I wonder how the customs would work and if they would just deal with specific sites.
    Never had to use the addresspal card but had to use id even though they know me as they had to type it into their computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭VanZan

Bought something yesterday with this address for the first time. Seller wanted £10 postage to PM but free delivery to AP's mainland address so it was a no-brainer. Probably won't arrive until middle of next week but I just need my AP card and passport yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

VanZan wrote: »
    Bought something yesterday with this address for the first time. Seller wanted £10 postage to PM but free delivery to AP's mainland address so it was a no-brainer. Probably won't arrive until middle of next week but I just need my AP card and passport yes?

Think you just need your card.

You are supposed to need photo id. My postmistress knows me so it's never a problem.

I'd rather just present my ID than have to carry yet another card around for some company/service :o

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    I'd rather just present my ID than have to carry yet another card around for some company/service :o

You have to provide both unless the PO staff know you.

I'd say the ID is more important legally? The card just says what the package will say. I wonder has anyone been refused collection without the card but having their ID?

Was in my local PO earlier today. She said the AP card AND photo ID even though she's known me for years. I was very hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Got my first delivery no problem. It would be nice if the site updated to let you know when they receive a package, not just when it's ready for collection. But works well otherwise.

Is it normal for the site to go tits up? "The minute I make my first ever order".....

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Virtanen wrote: »
    Got my first delivery no problem. It would be nice if the site updated to let you know when they receive a package, not just when it's ready for collection. But works well otherwise.

Agreed that would be good.
    Otherwise you might be waiting only to discover that they never received your package at the Uk address.
    Just bought my first item yesterday. Was due to be delivered to the Uk address today so will probably be here by the end of the week.

My nearest PM is over an hours drive away while my post office is just five minutes down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

I just registered for this service tonight as there's something on Amazon that I need, but of course it won't deliver to Ireland. Funny thing is there's another seller that will deliver to Ireland, but it's £30 more expensive. Both are fulfilled by Amazon, and identical products. Registered the AP address to my account and it goes through fine, free delivery from Amazon too.

So far, I like it. Will see how quickly it arrives now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Registered last week and sent a large item to the UK address. Checked the limits and weight. Even got the seller to confirm the parcel size and weight as I told him there was restrictions. All good. Paid for item. During the week it was refused by staff in the UK hub. Not required was the reason. Seller asking me why. I ring An Post and go through it with them, give them tracking info and weight etc and they are confused too. Should have been accepted unless it was damaged. Seller checks with courier and box is undamaged according to them. I'm supposed to be getting a call back from An Post since Wednesday but nothing yet and stuck on hold atm.

The item was resent to try one more time as I heard nothing from An Post but if it's refused again, I'll be ringing to make sure they cancel my account completely. So far I'm not impressed to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Yawns wrote: »
    Registered last week and sent a large item to the UK address. Checked the limits and weight. Even got the seller to confirm the parcel size and weight as I told him there was restrictions. All good. Paid for item. During the week it was refused by staff in the UK hub. Not required was the reason. Seller asking me why. I ring An Post and go through it with them, give them tracking info and weight etc and they are confused too. Should have been accepted unless it was damaged. Seller checks with courier and box is undamaged according to them. I'm supposed to be getting a call back from An Post since Wednesday but nothing yet and stuck on hold atm.

The item was resent to try one more time as I heard nothing from An Post but if it's refused again, I'll be ringing to make sure they cancel my account completely. So far I'm not impressed to say the least.

God that doesn't sound good at all! Any update on this yet?

I've ordered 5 separate items from Amazon, all under £4 each, all wouldn't post to Ireland (why?). First item arrived in the UK address on Saturday so I expect it to arrive in my chosen PO by tomorrow, but will not be collecting anything until Friday incase a couple of the other items arrive between now and Thursday night.

So I just bring my AP card and some form of photo id right? Can I use my work id? Has my name and photo on it.

Anyone else having any kind of problems with the service yet? I didn't like PM much but that's only because the closest PM is miles away and charge a little more too, think about €4.50 per delivery.

Hopefully I get my stuff with no problems over the next week or two.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

PM is €3.95 a "stay" for regular items. I'd imagine any photo id is fine but if you have a passport or drivers licence, I'd bring that. If you do use a work id and it's accepted, please let us know how you get on.

As for my item, I'm awaiting the courier to resend it, but the response from Address Pal staff has not impressed me at all. No call back despite promised one and email responses have been nothing but "our staff won't accept oversized items or items without address" despite me already confirming with seller the size / weight and address label being fine. After communicating this again to the An Post / Address Pal email, they asked me to ask for a photo from courier etc. No answer to why they can't give a proper reason for refusal at all. I think it'd be easier for their own staff to have proper reasons in their own system. Ie Item refused for oversized or item refused due to excessive dmg to parcel/packaging. Just labeling it as not required is a pita.

If it was over-sized or labelled wrong with the ridiculously long ap number, at least I wouldn't need to trouble their admin staff and just deal direct with the seller instead of having to communicate between both parties with both blaming each other.

:(

Advertisement