Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photographing kids for Halloween at my door

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

87 dressed up kids 0 photos

Edit: 89

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Tis well for you.

House full of sweeties. Not one kid called. (Belch)

Ah that's a bummer. We made 100 candy bags. Crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Paulw wrote: »
    I've no problem telling it to a Garda. In general, they are well trained and know that it's not illegal. But, they are human and make mistakes.

Dunno who you've been dealing with Paul, but I've found that the gardaí have very little knowledge of the majority of the laws they're supposed to be enforcing, and have no problem making up things to suit their agendas when they don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Poncke wrote: »
    Ah that's a bummer. We made 100 candy bags. Crazy

Lucky you. I don't know what it is about this road, but apart from the odd years when my next door neighbours had little kids, you never get Hallowe'en knocks here. I got all hopeful as I cycled home with a rucksack of loot and heard squeaks of "Trick or treeeet!" but they were going away up the road the other way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

No way I hate this pc crap, id be delighted with a funny pic of my kids

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭gingergirl

This is a really difficult area due to child protection issues. My kids school always have to seek permission when photographing the children for anything to do with the school. Although it sounds like a fun idea and I personally wouldn't have a problem, I know that some parents would have issues with this

Dunno who you've been dealing with Paul, but I've found that the gardaí have very little knowledge of the majority of the laws they're supposed to be enforcing, and have no problem making up things to suit their agendas when they don't know.
    Agree. I once went to a scene of a tipped over truck to take photos and was taking photos of the garda. The female garda said i wasn't allowed to take her photo and when I said I could because they were in public they got angry and summoned me to leave. When I said they couldn't and that i was allowed to take photos he declared the scene as dangerous and made me go or otherwise arrest me.

Clueless and on a power trip

Example :
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/gardai-fined-for-assaulting-man-who-was-filming-row-107224.html

gingergirl wrote: »
    This is a really difficult area due to child protection issues. My kids school always have to seek permission when photographing the children for anything to do with the school. Although it sounds like a fun idea and I personally wouldn't have a problem, I know that some parents would have issues with this
    Yes in schools you need consent but no one is disputing that

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭milos

"Private
    Private spaces would include homes or
    other private property, any area designated
    for a specific purpose or membership
    where adults have a supervisory
    responsibility such as schools and school
    grounds, youth clubs, arts centres or
    studios – consent codes apply here. Taking
    photographs of individuals in private places
    without their consent is not acceptable,
    unless justified by the public interest (i.e.,
    journalistic work)"

From The Arts Councils Booklet
    Guidelines for taking and using images of children and young people
    in the arts sector.

http://www.artscouncil.ie/uploadedFiles/Guidelines.pdf

Great booklet. Hope this helps

• Advertisement

milos wrote: »
    "Private
    journalistic work)"

in the arts sector.

I linked to that document earlier in this thread.

The part you quoted does not apply here. They are on MY property, I am not on theirs. But thanks anyway, I agree, it is a helpful document.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I think the idea in the OP was definitely flawed and he should not have done it as outlined as it would have been wrong. Very very wrong. So it is good he changed his mind and did not undertake such a foolish and ill conceived project.

The reason I say this, after reading the posts here, are not because he is not allowed to do it, as clearly he is. It's not because due to having to gain prior permission either or because he would somehow look like a peadophile.

The reason is that he would not get the desired effect in the images as there would be no shock from the flash. It would all happen too quick. There would need to be a Flash to get the reaction and then a second one a very short time later to register the reaction. Purely a technical issue as there is no privacy to breach.

CabanSail wrote: »
    I think the idea in the OP was definitely flawed

The reason is that he would not get the desired effect in the images as there would be no shock from the flash. It would all happen too quick. There would need to be a Flash to get the reaction and then a second one a very short time later to register the reaction. Purely a technical issue as there is no privacy to breach.

Of course, I was going to take 2 photos, but the technical aspect is not what I needed to be answered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

me0w wrote: »
    .... Wow.. Creepy much
    Cynortas wrote: »
    If i saw you taking a picture of my child regardless of where it is without my permission you'd straight up be flat on your back and your camera in a million pieces. Regardless of the law taking pictures of children without permission is creepy and wrong morally

Sweet suffering Jesus. There's so much ignorance in this thread.

Any of ye campaign against Cow & Gate, pampers, Johnsons & Johnsons etc etc, to remove the pictures of children from their products? Because, you know, pedo's.

And taking the law into your own hands, having a child doesn't give you some superior entitlement to do what the hell you want.
    Are any of the people who are saying that photographing children is or is not legal lawyers or gardaí?
    Sensible decision by the OP.

Not 100% what you are getting at here, but you don't need to be a lawyer/guard to know the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭me0w

Poncke wrote: »
    87 dressed up kids 0 photos

Edit: 89
    Wow you must live around a lot of children

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

interesting idea op but in this pc world and all that craic, best not to

milos wrote: »
    "Private
    journalistic work)"

in the arts sector.

Fairly confident that's not the law, but is actually their interpretation of it (a wildly inaccurate interpretation, that is).

Legally - a private space is simply a space where a person has a reasonable expectation to privacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭me0w

Any of ye campaign against Cow & Gate, pampers, Johnsons & Johnsons etc etc, to remove the pictures of children from their products? Because, you know, pedo's.

No because the parents are aware that their children are being used in the ads sigh

For the last time, the issue is when strangers take photos of children in public places without parental permission, like on the beach (have witnessed this myself- very disturbing), playground, street, etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Well, I had a great evening photographing both kids and adults dressed up. Parents were stopping their kids to let me take their photos. Not a single issue, no complaints, no comments.

I'll post a few up later. Processing time now. :D

me0w wrote: »
    No because the parents are aware that their children are being used in the ads sigh

For the last time, the issue is when strangers take photos of children in public places without parental permission, like on the beach (have witnessed this myself- very disturbing), playground, street, etc.

So there is no issue with the question in my OP then? Because I was not going to take a photo of children in public places without parental permission, like on the beach, playground, street, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

This thread has covered the question in the OP fully. It has now drifted into a more general discussion. As such this thread is being closed and a new thread opened of a more general nature.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement