Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photographing kids for Halloween at my door

Options
  • 31-10-2015 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

Hello, for this year's Halloween I have set up my camera plus studio lights in the hallway to give the kids a bit of a scare with a flash when we open the door. I am planning to take their photo and hope to snap some scared faces. I will be handing the parents my contact details so they can get the photos from me, for free.

Someone warned me that this might not be appreciated, taking photos of kids and all that. I dont see the harm, but people might get upset over it.

What do you think?

Cheers

Edit: after reading all comments I have decided to change my plans, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

You really shouldn't take photos of kids without first getting consent from their parents

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

You really shouldn't take photos of kids without first getting consent from their parents

Rubbish, you are within your rights to do so. Especially as they are on your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Is that the law? Your personal opinion? Or a general unspoken rule?

Would parents really get upset? Its all about having fun and getting them a photo they normally wont have of their children?

It is all very harmless and innocent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I imagine you can photograph anybody on your property. However whether it annoys their parents is a different thing.

Poncke wrote: »

Would parents really get upset? Its all about having fun and getting them a photo they normally wont have of their children?

It's an opinion, like you asked for.

All it takes is one ratty parent to take issue with it, to ruin your plan (which is class, by the way). Personally, I wouldn't risk p!ssing off parents by photographing their kids.

• Advertisement

CabanSail wrote: »
    Rubbish, you are within your rights to do so. Especially as they are on your property.

Yes, I know legally he can. He asked for opinions though, not law.

I imagine you can photograph anybody on your property. However whether it annoys their parents is a different thing.

Yep, I understand, I just wonder if parents in Ireland would get upset or if they would appreciate the effort?

I am not out to be a prick, I just want to do something original and hopefully fun.

It's an opinion, like you asked for.

All it takes is one ratty parent to take issue with it, to ruin your plan (which is class, by the way). Personally, I wouldn't risk p!ssing off parents by photographing their kids.

Thanks, I could offer to delete the picture right there and then to calm them down. Or should I drop the whole idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Can't speak for all parents but I wouldn't be happy at all. I only allow my child to call in to the houses of her friends and so even with it being someone I know I'd still feel weird about it. But if its kids you might not even be that familiar with then I really wouldn't do that.

Thanks, I could offer to delete the picture right there and then to calm them down. Or should I drop the whole idea?

If you're able to do that then yeah, that could calm the situation if someone gets annoyed. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

As a parent of a young child I'd be more annoyed at having to calm down a frightened child than the photo. I don't think you should do it if the kids coming up the path are very small.

Tasden wrote: »
    Can't speak for all parents but I wouldn't be happy at all. I only allow my child to call in to the houses of her friends and so even with it being someone I know I'd still feel weird about it. But if its kids you might not even be that familiar with then I really wouldn't do that.

Why wouldnt you be happy? What would be your gripe?

I am not in a park following kids around with a camera.

My opinion, people are over-sensitive these days. I wouldnt like my kids to be photographed by a stranger in a park, but if it was at someone's house for Halloween I wouldnt have the slightest problem with it if I was told I could get the photo and get a business card with contact details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Offer to send the parents a copy!

eviltwin wrote: »
    As a parent of a young child I'd be more annoyed at having to calm down a frightened child than the photo. I don't think you should do it if the kids coming up the path are very small.

What if someone opens the door who is dressed up very well and scares the kids? Same difference. It is Halloween for Pete's sake.

Offer to send the parents a copy!

Yes, thats the plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

As a parent of primary school aged children (and keen photographer) I wouldn't be happy about you taking the photo without asking me first. I'd also feel that you were going to try to sell me the photos later if you asked for my contact details. Sounds like a fun idea but not with kids involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

What if someone opens the door who is dressed up very well and scares the kids? Same difference. It is Halloween for Pete's sake.

Your intention is to scare the kids. It's might go down well with some kids but young children are probably going to be upset by it and that will upset their parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

If you have the prior written consent of the children's parents, you might be all right.

Some years ago I was talking to the Data Protection Commissioner, who told me that paedophiles swap what they call 'Lolita' pictures - these are perfectly ordinary pictures of children, but the paedophiles' purposes in using these pictures are far from innocent. Because of this, he said, the law in Ireland had been tightened up considerably in relation to taking photographs of children.

Not a lawyer, but I'd consult one first before stepping into this pool of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭HeyArnold320

I don't want to sound overly sensitive but I personally wouldn't want someone I don't know having photos of my kids. I do see what you're trying to do and it would be funny for the kids I'm sure but I just don't think it's a great idea.

Why wouldnt you be happy? What would be your gripe?

I am not in a park following kids around with a camera.

My opinion, people are over-sensitive these days. I wouldnt like my kids to be photographed by a stranger in a park, but if it was at someone's house for Halloween I wouldnt have the slightest problem with it if I was told I could get the photo and get a business card with contact details.

If i wanted a photo of my child I'd ask her if i can take one myself. If my child wanted her photo taken she'd ask for it to be taken. I don't agree with the whole "well you can get the photo, here's my card, or else i can delete it" after the fact, it would still have been taken without my child's (or my own) permission, which is the issue I have with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Hello, for this year's Halloween I have set up my camera plus studio lights in the hallway to give the kids a bit of a scare with a flash when we open the door. I am planning to take their photo and hope to snap some scared faces. I will be handing the parents my contact details so they can get the photos from me.

Someone warned me that this might not be appreciated, taking photos of kids and all that. I dont see the harm, but people might get upset over it.

What do you think?

Cheers

To be honest, with the way people are these days, I'd be more concerned over some kid having some minor reaction to the flash, and some weeks later you get a solicitor's letter.

As a parent of primary school aged children (and keen photographer) I wouldn't be happy about you taking the photo without asking me first. I'd also feel that you were going to try to sell me the photos later if you asked for my contact details. Sounds like a fun idea but not with kids involved.

I have no intention whatsoever to sell any photos, they're all free

Right, dropping the idea. Thanks for all the input

mordeith wrote: »
    To be honest, with the way people are these days, I'd be more concerned over some kid having some minor reaction to the flash, and some weeks later you get a solicitor's letter.

Sorry, but thats bullocks, a flash doesnt harm anyone, you wouldnt be able to take a photo with flash at your own kids birthday party if that was the case.

Change of plans, I will open the door, give them the candy and ask if they are interested in having their photo taken

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭jaded_pause

I'd imagine 15odd years ago this would have been a great idea, and great fun, and no one would have been saying "consult your solicitor first" or parents wont like it. In my opinion, it's halloween for gods sake, kids should expect to get a fright, if parents are ok with going around to people's houses and getting sh!te for their kids, then they should expect the trick part too. It's a shame the world has become too PC.

I don't want to sound overly sensitive but I personally wouldn't want someone I don't know having photos of my kids. I do see what you're trying to do and it would be funny for the kids I'm sure but I just don't think it's a great idea.

Why would any responsible parent let their kids go trick or treating to strangers houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

From the law point of view even if the child is on your property you still aren't allowed to take photos of them and will be asked to stop and delete them.
    My neighbour was taking photos of children entering his garden and wrecking his plants etc he only took the photos after calling on the parents and Garda but had been told no not my kids, so he decided to get proof, only fell into trouble for doing it, was told that taking pictures of children for any reason without parental permission is not allowed.
    This was earlier this year, maybe do it for next year and put notes with your card etc through local letter boxes first offering to do this so parents can know ?

Change of plans, I will open the door, give them the candy and ask if they are interested in having their photo taken

I'm assuming if parents wanted a photo they'd have taken one themselves already tbh, but good luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Oh FFS, people are just paranoid and over sensitive.

You are not breaking any Data Protection laws by taking photos of children, in public or on your property. DPC can only comment on usage of the images.

I will be out this evening taking hundreds of photos of kids, without asking for permission.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement