Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census 2016 - Time to tick NO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I'm still waiting for the "full time mad bastard" option

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭mckar

Sweet goodness everyone pushing their veiw on others even non religious.
    Wtf

I think a lot of people that have no religion would like to just stand back and not be involved in this crap a Facebook page and all. Seriously.

Why would someone have goals like this in life if you have no religious views why would you give a ****.

Everyone needs to respect every ones veiws stop give a crap about how many here and there we are one. We are all human. That's what counts.

People like this is exactly what is wrong with our world.

Last census I refused to answer cause it's none of their business

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

I'm still waiting for the "full time mad bastard" option
    Why wait? There's a space where you can fill it in if you like....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

mckar wrote: »
    Why would someone have goals like this in life if you have no religious views why would you give a ****.

Because it's used as an excuse to prop up religious discrimination in schools. The same schools that put my kids at the bottom of the admission queue.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Just have respect.

Respect has to be earned.

As long as religions continue to disrespect and insult me and take my tax money and try to force their religion on my family I will oppose them.

Why can't they mind their own business?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

I don't know what's worse Bible bashers who go on and on or the atheists who go on and on and talk about sky fairies. Both equally annoying and classless. Let people tick whatever they want. Fascist

I agree that people should be allowed to tick whatever box they want, I never disagreed with that, but I think you'll find that it's the "bible bashers" who go on about sky fairies not atheists. The religious love talking about him, they know all about him, his likes, his dislikes, his interests, his whole life story, his opinions on Irish referendums etc etc it truly is an astonishing depth of knowledge, especially considering they've never even met or have spoken to the fairy.

Also I don't understand this idea that 'everybody's opinion should be respected', everyone has the right to an opinion and should have the freedom to express it but not every opinion itself deserves respect.

Ps, finally it is a little bit ironic for yourself to be calling for respect when you're on here calling people classless, fascists and saying "twatism" should be an option.

I agree that people should be allowed to tick whatever box they want, I never disagreed with that, but I think you'll find that it's the "bible bashers" who go on about sky fairies not atheists.
    I don't believe I've ever seen a poster (even a Bible Bashing one) say they know anything about a sky fairy, his likes, his dislikes, his interests, his whole life story, or his opinions on Irish referendums. Is there any chance you can quote even one who actually says they believe in a sky fairy? Bearing in mind we'll be looking for the words "sky fairy" in the quote?

On the other hand, atheists going on about sky fairies... that does seem to happen.
    Here for instance.
    And here.
    Here too.
    As well as here.

Actually, are you sure you didn't mean to say, " I think you'll find that it's the atheists who go on about sky fairies not "bible bashers". "?

Absolam wrote: »
    I don't believe I've ever seen a poster (even a Bible Bashing one) say they know anything about a sky fairy, his likes, his dislikes, his interests, his whole life story, or his opinions on Irish referendums. Is there any chance you can quote even one who actually says they believe in a sky fairy? Bearing in mind we'll be looking for the words "sky fairy" in the quote?

On the other hand, atheists going on about sky fairies... that does seem to happen.
    Here for instance.
    And here.
    Here too.
    As well as here.

Actually, are you sure you didn't mean to say, " I think you'll find that it's the atheists who go on about sky fairies not "bible bashers". "?

Hi pedantic Pete, try someone else today, I'm not interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I don't believe I've ever seen a poster (even a Bible Bashing one) say they know anything about a sky fairy, his likes, his dislikes, his interests, his whole life story, or his opinions on Irish referendums. Is there any chance you can quote even one who actually says they believe in a sky fairy?

Substitute sky fairy for god and you'll find loads of them. Plenty of people around who seem to know exactly what their god thinks about absolutely everything. You know what sky fairy means - so why play dumb about it.

Orion wrote: »
    Substitute sky fairy for god and you'll find loads of them. Plenty of people around who seem to know exactly what their god thinks about absolutely everything. You know what sky fairy means - so why play dumb about it.

Ah Orion, you shouldn't have answered him sincerely, it only dignifies his little effort to divert by picking a minor detail and going to town on it. Only give him change when he's engaging, treat diversion posts with a pinch of salt, even give them a Like for the craic.

• Advertisement

Because it's used as an excuse to prop up religious discrimination in schools. The same schools that put my kids at the bottom of the admission queue.

It's not any type of religion or belief that is the problem here. It's the type of people in each that push their views on to others that always seem to have an (excuse) reason for why they do it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Just have respect.
    As Hotblack points out, respect is earned and not granted in the fashion of a "get out of jail free" card.
    People on this thread talking about magic potions insulting those who believe
    If people wish to be respected simply for beliefs which they hold, or think they hold, then perhaps they should try to hold beliefs which are a little less silly.
    [...] you boring old sods [...] Twatism [...]
    For somebody who demands responsibility-free respect for religious believers, you seem happy enough to toss around insults yourself.

Perhaps you should try to remove the log from your eye before attending to the twig in somebody else's.

It's not any type of religion or belief that is the problem here. It's the type of people in each that push their views on to others that always seem to have an (excuse) reason for why they do it.

It is the religions, because substantial numbers of the followers of the vast majority of them do these things, and their scriptures tell them to. Trying to impose religion on others, proselytising, attempting to write religious views into legislation, attempting to grab tax money and control of state services, they've been extremely successful at this in Ireland and still are.

The exceptions would include Judaism, 'we are god's chosen people and everyone else can fnck off' etc, which isn't any better in my book.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It's not any type of religion or belief that is the problem here.
    Eh? Of course it is. The catholic church run the vast majority of our state funded schools and insist on peddling solely their own brand of religion. And get to choose their brand of taxpayers' children to fill these schools. How is that not the problem?
    It's the type of people in each that push their views on to others that always seem to have an (excuse) reason for why they do it.
    Such as, for example - the church who run the vast majority of our state funded schools.

The alternative to having a single dogma forced on all children at school is not to push another view, but to simply teach kids the curriculaum minus the religious dogma.

In short, there is only one side insisting on pushing their views. And as for the reason they do it? They know damn well their religion would be dead in this country in a couple of generations if they didn't have unfettered access to children from aged 4/5.

Dades wrote: »
    Eh? Of course it is. The catholic church run the vast majority of our state funded schools and insist on peddling solely their own brand of religion. And get to choose their brand of taxpayers' children to fill these schools. How is that not the problem?

Such as, for example - the church who run the vast majority of our state funded schools.

The alternative to having a single dogma forced on all children at school is not to push another view, but to simply teach kids the curriculaum minus the religious dogma.

In short, there is only one side insisting on pushing their views. And as for the reason they do it? They know damn well their religion would be dead in this country in a couple of generations if they didn't have unfettered access to children from aged 4/5.

I totally get where you are coming from 100% and your right It will die out in a few years regardless of what they do it has hugely over the past generation

I'm Not up on the whole school situation and the way they are run now my kids are not at that age just yet. But any new schools been build from what I've seen are not run by the church anymore. I think when religion and people in general stop pushing their opinion from any belief on to others this world will see brighter days.

I get the church still has a hold over alot of them but that's boils down to exactly what I'm saying aswel they are pushing their beliefs. I know there is no answer to the issues but if everyone just accepted everyone for whatever they are we wouldn't have these issues.

Dades wrote: »

It will be, anyway.

We are now witnessing the catholic Battle of the Bulge.

But any new schools been build from what I've seen are not run by the church anymore.

Not true, there are still new religious schools being built with state money on state-owned sites.

Even if all new schools were non-religiously-discriminating, that still leaves the other 96%. The Dublin suburb where I live has no non-religious-patronage schools at all, and the Dept of Education chose to build new classrooms in one of the RC schools last year rather than allow an ET to open.

Nobody in this area was surveyed as to what they wanted.

I'm mad as hell and any politician of any stripe who calls to my door better watch out. Bunch of cowards the lot of them, even the "left".

Hi pedantic Pete, try someone else today, I'm not interested.
    Of course not.. far more fun to engage in rhetorical nonsense, eh :)
    Orion wrote: »
    Sure... substitute Devil you won't find so many, substitute humanist you'll find a few... in fact if you substitute any word at all that's different you'll get a different result, we know that.
    Just as I know what Huntergonzo means by sky fairy; he knows that in fact, you won't find that it's the "bible bashers" who go on about sky fairies not atheists, he sets out a lie deliberately to belittle people who believe in gods by using snarl words rather than presenting an actual argument against their position. Pointing out that using such a child like aggression is nothing more than that, isn't playing dumb; it's pointing out a dumb tactic.

Of course not.. far more fun to engage in rhetorical nonsense, eh :)

Sure... substitute Devil you won't find so many, substitute humanist you'll find a few... in fact if you substitute any word at all that's different you'll get a different result, we know that.
    Just as I know what Huntergonzo means by sky fairy; he knows that in fact, you won't find that it's the "bible bashers" who go on about sky fairies not atheists, he sets out a lie deliberately to belittle people who believe in gods by using snarl words rather than presenting an actual argument against their position. Pointing out that using such a child like aggression is nothing more than that, isn't playing dumb; it's pointing out a dumb tactic.

Right as always pedantic Pete 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

No change on census form for non-believers till 2021 - Sunday Times http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/article1639040.ece paywall

I wouldn't hold my breathe for the CSO, they first said it was a statistical consistancy issue now they are saying its a funding issue.

Religion Question on the Census lobbying of CSO by HAI http://humanism.ie/2015/06/draft-hai-e-newsletter-june-2015/ HAI June 2015 http://humanism.ie/2015/05/hai-e-newsletter-may-2015/ May 2015

previous excuse from the CSO http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/think-carefully-before-answering-census-question-on-religion-1.585700
    this suggestion, made by the Humanist Association of Ireland (HAI) following an invitation by the Central Statistics Office (CSO) for suggestions regarding possible improvements in the census, was rejected on the basis it would make historical comparisons difficult.

rejected the time before last too http://humanistni.org/filestore/file/mar2011inners%20.pdf

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2015-07-14a.133&s=religion+census#g134.q
    Unfortunately given the very tight budget circumstances in 2013 and 2014, with constraints on resources right across the public sector, it was not possible to pursue this route for census 2016. Accordingly the 2016 census is being run as a ‘no-change’ census with the questions (including the religion question) on the 2016 questionnaire remaining unchanged from those used in the 2011 census, with the exception of the question on marital status.

what excuse from the CSO next time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

what excuse from the CSO next time?

Well I won't hold my breath for honesty, ie. "We're a bit thick and can't see how it might make a difference to public policy". :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

FB users can make a positive public FB statement and encourage other to do so.

I am going to Tick No Religion in Census 2016

Go here and click GOING
    https://www.facebook.com/events/534512320046998/

There are so many "cultural Catholics" out there who are sick of the abuse scandals, forced baptisms and the churches position in the state.

Encourage them to Tick No
    Invite > Select All > Invitations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

This might be a really stupid question , but here goes.

So i want to tick no religion on the census , because i'm in no way religious , other than Funerals & Weddings i haven't been in a church since my Confo. However I'm getting married next year, in a church :O not really my call i would have preferred to go abroad but the OH wants the traditional Church & Hotel affair , though she's not religious at all either her family would be so more to keep them happy.

She is concerned that if i tick no religion the priest could find out and stop us having a church wedding. I thought other than the govt these records were sealed for 100 years or something so no way the church or priest would find out what we ticked either way, but a few people have said they think the church can check.

So what i want to know is are these records sealed and whatever i fill in kept private or could the priest request the info ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

So i want to tick no religion on the census , because i'm in no way religious , other than Funerals & Weddings i haven't been in a church since my Confo. However I'm getting married next year, in a church :O not really my call i would have preferred to go abroad but the OH wants the traditional Church & Hotel affair , though she's not religious at all either her family would be so more to keep them happy.

She is concerned that if i tick no religion the priest could find out and stop us having a church wedding. I thought other than the govt these records were sealed for 100 years or something so no way the church or priest would find out what we ticked either way, but a few people have said they think the church can check.

So what i want to know is are these records sealed and whatever i fill in kept private or could the priest request the info ?

I'm pretty sure you're safe. You've probably been baptised and everything so that's Catholic enough for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Sweet thanks guys , yeh baptised , communion and confo all ticked off , my folks done the old cultural catholic keep the grandparents happy thing.

I will be ticking no so :) time the give the RCC a bloody nose with this census

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭volchitsa

AFAIK, all information given for the purposes of the census is absolutely confidential, nobody is allowed to consult information about an individual, not even the government for tax purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

This year I'm torn between "No religion" "Pastafarian" and "Jedi".
    I just can't make up my mind.

For statistical purposes, better to tick 'no religion' than to write in anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

I wouldn't be too sure atall Walter. RCC priests have the same power as a Garda sargent you know. It's possible that they'll demand access to this census and set up a database and cross reference requests for the Sacrament of marriage against those who have ticked no religion. ( why would a non religious person want a sacrament?!) Then they just lock up the church on the day leaving you and your best man outside peering in the gates. I'd check it out if I were you.

• Advertisement

It's more than a little bit pathetic that a grown adult, of no religious belief, who expresses the entirely understandable desire to "give the RCC a bloody nose with this census", is still willing to get married in a church.

Advertisement